The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1936 water pumps (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289371)

Blastfromthepast 10-28-2020 08:07 PM

1936 water pumps

Has any replaced the original water pumps with the new pumps advanced impellers in them. I was wondering if you noticed a big difference in temperature and solving over heating problems.

KiWinUS 10-28-2020 08:15 PM

Re: 1936 water pumps

From Skip. Yes but temp stayed the same but I was not having an overheating problem.

Kube 10-28-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast (Post 1946373)
Has any replaced the original water pumps with the new pumps advanced impellers in them. I was wondering if you noticed a big difference in temperature and solving over heating problems.

I think you will find that Skip's pumps and any others advertised as "new & improved" will only help if you have an underlying issue with your cooling system.
I've sent Skip (George) numerous pumps and can't say enough good about the man and his workmanship.
However, after installing MANY of his pumps and noting NO difference in operating temperatures, well, to me that indicates they don't in fact make a difference on a finely set up flathead.
If you're having issues and don't want to tackle the underlying cause(s), my "go to" would be George hands down before any other.

Blastfromthepast 10-29-2020 08:58 AM

Thank you KiWinUS and Kube for your answers.
I was just wondering if they made a difference and they do
According to the situation involved. You said it all.Thank you,Blast

G.M. 10-29-2020 05:46 PM

Skip uses a modern seal in the 36 type pumps. This allows him
to maintain closer clearances which increases the pump pressure.
This results in almost double the flow. G.M.

koates 10-30-2020 05:27 AM

I have an original 1934 Ford sedan with its original 21 stud engine. Water pumps started leaking a bit with some play in the pump bushes but no overheating problems. I fitted a pair of new improved pumps and noticed that the temperature reduced by at least 5 deg F or a bit more. At that stage I did not run thermostats, but have them fitted now and it runs at about 170 to 180 deg even on fairly warm days. A friend has two 1936 Fords, a sedan and a coupe and he fitted these new improved pumps to both cars with similar results to my 34. I did prime paint and color paint the pumps before fitting. They have been on a couple of years now and all is good. Good value I think and the pumps are all new castings not old originals. Regards, Kevin.

G.M. 10-30-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koates (Post 1946824)
I have an original 1934 Ford sedan with its original 21 stud engine. Water pumps started leaking a bit with some play in the pump bushes but no overheating problems. I fitted a pair of new improved pumps and noticed that the temperature reduced by at least 5 deg F or a bit more. At that stage I did not run thermostats, but have them fitted now and it runs at about 170 to 180 deg even on fairly warm days. A friend has two 1936 Fords, a sedan and a coupe and he fitted these new improved pumps to both cars with similar results to my 34. I did prime paint and color paint the pumps before fitting. They have been on a couple of years now and all is good. Good value I think and the pumps are all new castings not old originals. Regards, Kevin.

Kevin, The pumps are your old castings completley remachined. G.M.

frnkeore 10-30-2020 12:14 PM

Another option for the early pumps, are the truck pumps. The impeller is longer.

According to Ford, the head mounted truck pumps are 40 gpm @ 3600 rpm. The car pumps are 25 gpm and all the block mounted, are 45 gpm.

G.M. do you make impellers for the truck pumps, too?

G.M. 10-30-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frnkeore (Post 1946957)
Another option for the early pumps, are the truck pumps. The impeller is longer.

According to Ford, the head mounted truck pumps are 40 gpm @ 3600 rpm. The car pumps are 25 gpm and all the block mounted, are 45 gpm.

G.M. do you make impellers for the truck pumps, too?

Skip uses the same pump impellers in cars and trucks. Original
pumps produced 55 gals in 5 minutes at water pump test machine
speed and after machining the bodies and Skips new impellers
they produce 110 gallons in 5 minutes on the 36 pumps. G.M.

koates 10-30-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.M. (Post 1946862)
Kevin, The pumps are your old castings completley remachined. G.M.

G.M, The pumps I fitted are all brand new with modern sealed bearings, improved impellers and new cast iron body castings. Skips pumps are remachined original housings with his new improved parts fitted. Regards, Kevin.

G.M. 10-30-2020 09:30 PM

I was assuming you had a set of SKIPS pumps. G.M.