The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to grease leaf springs? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171353)

bikemaniac 06-17-2015 07:20 AM

How to grease leaf springs?

Hi,

What is the best method to grease the leaf springs while installed in the car?

Lucas

Y-Blockhead 06-17-2015 10:02 AM

Re: How to grease leaf springs?

Lucas, don't know if it is the "best" way but I use B'laster with graphite on my springs.
B'laster

It has a carrier fluid that evaporates, leaving just the dry graphite. Use caution and watch the overspray. Especially on your wheels.

Which brings up a question. Does anyone use 'spring covers'? Spring Covers

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-17-2015 10:04 AM

I, personally, DON'T worry about greasing my spring leaves. It "seems" to me, that it would cause my car to "rock & roll" easier, on QUICK turns--EEK!! Sorta' like greasing your friction shocks, so's they won't SQUEEK!--LOL
Bill W.

Jacksonlll 06-17-2015 11:10 AM

I have covers on my car because they were there when I bought it.
I think they are just something to spend money on and give you something to do.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-17-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1104741)
I have covers on my car because they were there when I bought it.
I think they are just something to spend money on and give you something to do.

Jackson,
I think the spring covers look SPIFFY. Is any dismantling required to install them?
Bill W.

Tacoma Bob 06-17-2015 11:27 AM

I run spring covers and like them. On my new front spring I mixed up a home brew concoction of marine grade wheel bearing grease and Kroil. Speaking of Kroil they do make a product called Penofite. It is in an aerosol can and is designed to travel between things such as spring packs (leaves).

Bruce Adams 06-17-2015 11:37 AM

This following came from BRATTON'S WEB SITE.
While I see GRAPHITE here, a Spring manufacturer told ME to use HI TEMPERATURE chassis grease a couple of years ago

10 LEAF FRONT SPRING
For Year(s): 28-31

New spring. Ten leaves. Tapered ends. TO FIT IN THE CROSS MEMBER, THE TOP LEAF MUST HAVE THE TOP EDGES GROUND ON A TAPER. To disassemble, use two 'C' clamps to hold leaves together. Remove shipping center pin. Slowly release 'C' clamps. Apply chassis grease to each leaf - Use 'C' clamps to compress leaves together. Install correct square headed bolt, cut off extra length, then use a hammer to peen over bolt on nut. Most front springs are fatigued from years of engine weight. See drawing for correct dimensions. Bushings are installed and included. For the spring clamp order part #7260.

Part #07240
GRAPHITE LUBE
For Year(s): ALL

GRAPHITE LUBE - Spray this on the bottom of each leaf to help reduce the squeaks of the spring. Spring must be dissembled and painted before you apply this product.

Tacoma Bob 06-17-2015 11:39 AM

Thanks for the reminder Bruce. I also used John Deer Slip Plate!!

Tom Wesenberg 06-17-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikemaniac (Post 1104670)
Hi,

What is the best method to grease the leaf springs while installed in the car?

Lucas

Use a 1 inch wide paint brush to brush on lots of drain oil. It will seep in between the leaves. This should work until you take them apart to grease them. I brush on Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease, then sprinkle powdered graphite on top of the grease. I then use spring covers to hold the grease in and keep the dirt out.

2manycars 06-17-2015 01:13 PM

Spring covers not only look good, and work good, but they were a genuine accesssory. Oil the pads with some 90 weight oil and install them. No need to take the spring out, or apart, just climb under the car. I have them on the tudor, and am very satisfied with them.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/spring-covers

Tom Wesenberg 06-17-2015 01:47 PM

When I installed spring covers 10 years ago, the best quality ones came from Bert's in Denver and Little Dearborn in Minneapolis.

Jacksonlll 06-17-2015 02:14 PM

Bill, from the looks of them, they just fit over the spring and you bend some tabs to keep them there.

Patrick L. 06-17-2015 02:42 PM

Take the weight off the axle and just use a grease needle. I just stick a putty knife or gasket scraper between the leaves and the needle will slip right in.

CarlG 06-17-2015 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob (Post 1104755)
... I also used John Deer Slip Plate!!

Also available at NAPA

wensum 06-17-2015 03:25 PM

I've fitted the plastic leaves between each spring leaf but have yet to see if they make any difference.
They certainly made the total thickness of the springs greater and as a result, longer U bolts were required, although, come to think of it, I also removed 3 leaves from each spring as the speedster is a lot lighter .
Keith

2manycars 06-17-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1104837)
Bill, from the looks of them, they just fit over the spring and you bend some tabs to keep them there.

Yes, they come with slits for the spring clamps to stick through, and slits for the metal tabs to go through, then bend over the tabs. There is a stiff wire sewn into the sides of each cover, both to attach the tabs, and on the other side, to bend the tabs over. It is a rather easy installation, with a pair of plyers, and some tin shears to cut off the excess tab material.

Kurt in NJ 06-17-2015 09:44 PM

Ford spring lube was not grease--- M4628 spring lube has it's ingerdiants listed in the 36 service bulletins, 77-1/2% ice machine oil (from what I can find 10wtoil), 20% talc (talc is a lubricating, polishing and filler, it also came up in my searches as an ingrediant in a Slip Plate product), 2-1/2% pulverized asbestos

Grease wouldn't work well with spring covers---but thin oil will soak into the felt pads in the spring covers ( I don't know how the repros are made, but original spring covers have a felt pad that is in the top of the covers

Another often forgotten lubrication place is in the hand crank bearing ---oil squirted in there goes down the centerbolt and onto the spring leaves

Henry's Lady's Man 06-17-2015 11:07 PM

I purchased an interesting tool that was made by Charles W Manzel. It reads Pat. Oct 18 1916. I can't find a patent number; just this. I have some pictures. The blade was placed at the juncture of any two leaf springs and hammered in over 1/4 inch. The split in the blade is where a hole allows grease to come out while the leafs are slightly separated. The handle turns on threads. Grease is in the handle, and as you turn the knurled handle, grease enters between the leaves. I like your sprays better! Sheesh, how many places would you have to insert this little tool over and over?
It was made in 1916, so it was for the Model T's and such. Don't think there is any appreciable difference in springs on the A. Will the Wizard of A's tell me how to post my pics? They are in my Mac's photo library, but this forum wants an "HTTP://" type address ~Chuck

Henry's Lady's Man 06-17-2015 11:20 PM

/Users/mac/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2015/06/17/20150617-215521/DSCF1981.JPG
/Users/mac/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2015/06/17/20150617-215521/DSCF1982.JPG

This is my first attempt of copy and paste a pics into the forum. Please have patience with me. Chuck

Henry's Lady's Man 06-17-2015 11:23 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-A...-/371314663252

Ok, mine looks like this.