The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Masking Carburetor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264903)

chrs1961815 06-14-2019 05:19 PM

Masking Carburetor

I am getting ready to paint a Zenith 1 I have and I was wondering how everybody masks off the brass pins? I read about painting the inside and I think I am just going to paint the air inlet and leave the other bowl open. Furthermore, is it best to paint the bowls hanging or on a flat surface?

F.M. 06-14-2019 05:38 PM

Re: Masking Carburetor

Really !!

Dave in MN 06-14-2019 05:52 PM

I just paint them for myself but you could carefully apply a coat of grease over the brass plugs and paint. The paint and grease will rub off the greased plugs when the rest of the paint is dry.
I have done this for "show car" customers.
Good Day!

duke36 06-14-2019 05:55 PM

Put the carb together and mask off all the orifices, don't get any paint inside where gas or air will enter or on the manifold flange. One can use painters tape to mask the throttle /choke linkages and large (brass) nuts but that should be enough. Also, what paint are you using ? Use Model airplane dope or an old fashion lacquer base which hopefully won't get dissolved by ethanol gas.

Tom Endy 06-14-2019 06:02 PM

I just paint over the brass plugs. After the paint has dried and while in the process of removing masking tape and pieces of paper towel I used to plug open orifices, I use the blade of a box cutter to carefully scape the paint off the brass plugs.

Tom Endy

chrs1961815 06-14-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1767758)
Put the carb together and mask off all the orifices, don't get any paint inside where gas or air will enter or on the manifold flange. One can use painters tape to mask the throttle /choke linkages and large (brass) nuts but that should be enough. Also, what paint are you using ? Use Model airplane dope or an old fashion lacquer base which hopefully won't get dissolved by ethanol gas.

I am using the stuff Snyder's sells which is Black Laquer.

holdover 06-14-2019 10:13 PM

You can purchase Krylon Lacquer paint at Lowes in a spray can

CWPASADENA 06-14-2019 11:20 PM

I put a drop of Elmers Glue on each brass plug and after the paint has dried, pick at the drop of glue and it will come right off exposing the brass plug.

Also, I use semi gloss black ceramic engine paint I get as OReillys Auto Parts. It really looks good and will not dissolve with todays fuel.

That is what I do.

Chris W.

redmodelt 06-15-2019 01:16 AM

Read the question he is asking about pins not plugs. Do you mean throttle/choke shafts? I paint mine disassembled.

CWPASADENA 06-15-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1767845)
Read the question he is asking about pins not plugs. Do you mean throttle/choke shafts? I paint mine disassembled.

I am confused,

I am trying to think what brass pins I have on my carburetor.

I also paint the castings while everything is disassembled.

Chris W.

Tom Wesenberg 06-15-2019 08:25 AM

I've always greased small parts I don't want to get paint on.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-15-2019 08:43 AM

Chief & I painted a coupe, by greasing the windows!
Bill W.

JD 1931 06-15-2019 12:01 PM

When painting the zenith I found that Dup-pi-color low gloss black engine high temp paint is the only one I found that will withstand the gas and not wash off, found at O'Reilly or autozone. I never paint the inside of bowl.....

chrs1961815 06-15-2019 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA (Post 1767896)
I am confused,

I am trying to think what brass pins I have on my carburetor.

I also paint the castings while everything is disassembled.

Chris W.

These pins in the bowls.

figment 06-15-2019 01:10 PM

I have cadimum plated pins . The pins shown in number 14 are the stops for the choke and idle .

redmodelt 06-15-2019 02:20 PM

Those are brass passage plugs and are painted, along with the stops for choke and throttle unless maybe doing points car. (re the stops; I don't have my carb books here but think they were painted as well)

F.M. 06-15-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1767999)
Those are brass passage plugs and are painted, along with the stops for choke and throttle unless maybe doing points car. (re the stops; I don't have my carb books here but think they were painted as well)

Wrong !! From the factory, The Brass Plugs Remain seen as BRASS, The two Stop Pins are/were Cad Plated..There were other changes also, this depending on the year.. All this and a lot of other Information can be found in the Restoration Guidelines..

chrs1961815 06-15-2019 06:29 PM

I painted the carb today and it came out great. I did the grease trick with a q-tip which worked well. My next thought is what I should do with the steel parts such as the choke and throttle levers? I know they were unfinished, cad, and I think Raven originally. Which one do you guys use?

Purdy Swoft 06-16-2019 12:05 PM

I paint the carburetor housing with all other parts removed . I don't paint the inside of the bowl . I use either spray can black lacquer or better still POR 15 black . I leave the choke and throttle levers cadmium plated . The Zenith carbs that I have had all had the plugs and pins painted black . If it is a car that will be under national judging standards I would consult the restoration guidelines and judging standards . In either case the paint on the plugs and pins shouldn't be hard to remove .

Tom Endy 06-16-2019 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached article about carburetor paint,

Tom Endy