The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Using A computer...when did you start? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61557)

Gumpy 02-09-2012 11:28 AM

Using A computer...when did you start?

I didn't learn how to used one till the year 2000. my son's can run circles around me and say dad u need to take a class...the ford barn is the best thing that helped me along...very enthused by this site!!

David J 02-09-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Using A computer...when did you start?

My mute buddy came to me in Feb 2006 . I can now type with TWO fingers - still not willing to say I know how to properly use the thing though :D . David J
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumpy (Post 360448)
I didn't learn how to used one till the year 2000. my son's can run circles around me and say dad u need to take a class...the ford barn is the best thing that helped me along...very enthused by this site!!

41 Fords ohio 02-09-2012 11:33 AM

2010, and still can't type!!

Seth Swoboda 02-09-2012 11:36 AM

I started in first grade, on one of apples first computers.....1980's. Then got more in depth in 3-4th grade on the Mac's.

Karl Wescott 02-09-2012 11:36 AM

High school in the 1970's... A teletype terminal that could run maybe 25 lines of "basic" code. If you wanted to save it you used punch tape. The business got a Radio Shack TRS-80 in the 1980s for accounting and we figured out how to do the catalog on a word processor (text only). To get print quality output we purchased a kit to allow an IBM Selectric typewiter to be controled by the computer.

What amazes me is the number of guys who will get a new to them car and then have the hood up and tools out within 5 minutes to figure out whats inside, yet are afraid to turn a computer on, much less grab a screwdriver and open it up...

Shadetree 02-09-2012 11:58 AM

We bought our son a TRS-80 (remember those?) from Radio Shack. I messed around with it a little playing simple games.

My brother-in-law built me a computer so I could use a flight simulator. He also gave me an old printer that the paper had holes along the side. Remember those? Bored to tears after retirement in 1991 I wrote articles for the local newspaper about flying airplanes and the county airport on that old computer. In the late 90's my son bought my wife and I a new computer. In 2001 I went back to work part time making drawings using Auto-Cad (Computer Assisted Drawings) after my boss showing me all he knew about it. I am still there, still enjoy it. Computers have enriched my life.

BTW, I use the Columbus Typing Method. Huntin' Land.

Shadetree

Seth Swoboda 02-09-2012 12:14 PM

He also gave me an old printer that the paper had holes along the side. Remember those?

Shadetree, that is called continuous feed paper and it is still used today with preprinted forms, ect...... Hard to believe that it is sill around.

TonyM 02-09-2012 12:45 PM

Early 1980s for electronic basic computer. It was at my job; we made utility trucks for the phone company.

Back then you had to type "win:" in the corner to bring the operating system up.

I first went on the internet in late 1995. I had internet in my house in 1996.

raceron1120 02-09-2012 01:09 PM

I guess I've evolved to some extent with computers, through work. From clerical/admin stuff in the Air Force in the early 70s using manual typewriters till now, working with the Army and some sophisticated whizz-bang stuff.

Usually 2 monitors in front of me all day long. But still not all that proficient! The kids can out-do me nearly any day.

TomO 02-09-2012 01:19 PM

First encounter with computers was in 1953 for missile guidance. After the Army, I worked on the big Mainframes that are not as powerful as today's telephones.

My first computer at home was in 1972. My watch has more computing power than it had.

Scott H 02-09-2012 01:45 PM

1977, writing code and keypunching IBM cards in Junior year of high school. A bit more in college, then nothing til 1985. Starting using VisiCalc on a TRS-80 Radio Shack machine.
Internet stuff around early 1990's. I still only know the basics and my grandkids can do so much more than me, especially picture sharing and photoshop kinda stuff.

Frank Miller 02-09-2012 02:00 PM

First used one in the 80's but did not own one until 1997. Now I have a desktop, laptop and iPhone. Always connected and can answer most questions wherever I may be. Computers run the plant I work in. I know some people, younger than myself even, that say they cannot be bothered. I am 53 and wonder if people that did not have a telephone in the 20s used the same lame excuse, I have not had one all these years, why do I need it now? BTW I hardly ever use my phone for talking.

super flat 02-09-2012 03:10 PM

Not until I absolutely had to have one in my business 2007. Gary

Bill in Al 02-09-2012 03:18 PM

Got one 5-6 years ago and still am not very proficient.It absolutely stuns me that so much info can be gotten from the internet. There is no reason that a person can't become well educated.Just have to be VERY cautious-not everything you read is fact!

Shu47 02-09-2012 03:23 PM

First used when I went to college in 1975. Bought my first one in about 1984 and had one or more in the house ever since.

Dave72dt 02-09-2012 03:44 PM

1970 -Computer class in college. In home, when windows first came out, no internet- too far out in the country, Now, 6 working units, all wireless except 1 tower I use as a base for the rest.

BILL WZOREK 02-09-2012 04:27 PM

I've Heard a lot of good things about them,:DJust might try one out some day.
I just put a new string in the two soup can's / The grandkids told me to empty the soup out first. :eek:
Defiantly much much clearer now. LOL LOL :)

BILL W

Bill S 02-09-2012 04:59 PM

Mid 60s on the IBM 1400

55 dude 02-09-2012 05:53 PM

being in my 50's didn't start until the mid 90's thinking "man these would sure be great to write reports on" now thats the only way to do them. the video uses are fantastic to exchange tech with.

37slantback 02-09-2012 07:00 PM

Since about 1980. It makes a great living once you get past that decision each morning after you start the car. Whether or not to open the garage door.