The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Experimental Map of FB "Model A" People Locations (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92345)

Jim/GA 12-20-2012 09:09 AM

Experimental Map of FB "Model A" People Locations

*** THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SERIOUSLY MODIFIED FROM ORIGINAL POST ***

I created a map in Google Maps called Ford Barn "Model A" People:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=2...817b82dd461676

See if I have added you. If not, I will add a marker to the map for you if you send a PM to me with the city, state, country I should use for you. I will use your FB user name as the name.

I tried to make this where everyone could do their own but it does not work as I thought it might. I had never done this before.

So send me a request and I will add you. Don't fill up this thread with additional requests, but feel free to discuss what you see and learn from the map here!

Hook 12-20-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Experimental Map of FB "Model A" People Locations

Hi Jim,

Great idea! However, I suspect adding yourself directions will vary with the browser people are using. In my case when I try to save it wants me to log in to my account, rather than FB Model A people. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can get it to work.
Good idea, thought. Hope we can get it to work.

Hook

Ross/Kzoo 12-20-2012 09:28 AM

I'm not finding the "edit" button.

I had to sign in to get the "edit" button and enter my information.

Hook 12-20-2012 09:42 AM

I didn't find the edit button either, but entered my city and state and the red A button showed up. I clicked on the red A, and the "save" appeared. However, when I try to save, it wants me to sign in to my account. I signed in, and then it's saved to my account and not the FB "Model A" map. I think you would have to create a sign in and PW for us to use to get to save to the FB "Model A" map.

Might be another way to do this, but I'm not that savvy with Google Maps.

Hook

Fordors 12-20-2012 09:49 AM

Thanks for including me in the "pre-populated" Jim, it saved me the trouble of starting a Google account. I think this is a neat idea that will serve to illustrate the areas most populated by early Ford lovers who are FB members. And it will be cool to see our friends overseas too. I hope you get many additions.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-20-2012 09:55 AM

Cool!!

SLPreston53 12-20-2012 10:48 AM

I got as far as trying to add my FB name. I could not see any place to "check" to edit. So I remain "Long Beach CA."

kenparker 12-20-2012 10:52 AM

Cool idea. please dont kill it, Jim. We just gotta fins a way around the problems. I dont find the red edit button either, but I dont have a Google account. Will keep trying. BTW, I am in Van, TX - 80 miles east of Dallas. kenparker

34pickup 12-20-2012 11:02 AM

Well, I think I got mine added. It worked nothing like you instructed. I guess different operating systems operate differently. I had to refresh it a few times for it to change anything and then it added more than I intended. But I am computer illiterate.

160B 12-20-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/TX (Post 556176)
I am about ready to kill this experiment. I don't think it works as easily as it is supposed to. We will see.

I agree with the other comments to continue. Let’s give this some time and let the kinks work out, can't be harder than working on 80 year old cars!!!

CarlG 12-20-2012 11:06 AM

No red "Edit" button. Tried to sign in to my google account and get the same circular reference I've gotten before & gave up.

CarlG Anchorage Alaska

Dave in Boise 12-20-2012 11:47 AM

Added mine in.. Yay Idaho! :)

Chris in WNC 12-20-2012 11:48 AM

I'd love to join in this project, but do not wish to start a Google account.
they already have too much bloody information about me.

just like when FaceBook friends want me to join a HS yearbook, birthday calendar or a travel map page. cannot do it without giving FaceBook additional information that's none of their business.........

gweilbaker 12-20-2012 12:08 PM

Hey I'm already on there. I got a kick that the "street view" captured a couple of scamsters selling meat off the back of their truck. Never buy anything from the back of nasty truck!

Skibb 12-20-2012 12:12 PM

My limiited skills did not crack the map's code. Hope the map survives my attempts. Such a kool idea!!

TerryH 12-20-2012 12:16 PM

For those of us who do not want to start a Google account,, could we supply you with our info and let you enter it?? Just a thought to find a way to include more who do not want to join another site...........

Ross/Kzoo 12-20-2012 12:49 PM

We've got a few "place marks" LOL. It's a little awkward at first but it is a great idea. I'm glad that you started this. It would be nice to be able to access this as a sticky at the top of the Model A first page.

springerpete 12-20-2012 01:12 PM

Ditto, SKIP. No luck getting on the map after 3 tries. Must be something in the air here in Maine that defies the electron path ! Like to join but will await further developments. Great idea.

bill44 12-20-2012 01:12 PM

Sorry; just could not get it to work

Herb Concord Ca 12-20-2012 01:41 PM

Hi Jim, tried to add myself to the map but no luck, didn't see the edit button, clicked on save map updates? but said I wasn't logged in.

This is a great idea, hope you can find away for some of us to get placed on the map, good luck.
Thanks for the effort,
herb
Concord ca