The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transmission Conversion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234107)

Cape Codder 11-27-2017 11:25 AM

Transmission Conversion

Can the gears in the transmission be changed so that 3rd gear would be in the Top Right side of "H" pattern?

Sure would seem much better for leg room on trips!

Great Lakes Greg 11-27-2017 12:22 PM

Re: Transmission Conversion

Nope. Third has to stay where it is to catch the main shaft on the front of the transmission. Old Dodge Brothers cars had high gear where our second is.

Jim Brierley 11-27-2017 12:27 PM

Try lifting the gear shift lever up (against the heavy spring) and rotating it out of the way.

Y-Blockhead 11-27-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1557753)
Can the gears in the transmission be changed so that 3rd gear would be in the Top Right side of "H" pattern?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1557786)
Try lifting the gear shift lever up (against the heavy spring) and rotating it out of the way.

Jim, Not sure I would try that while driving... :eek::eek:

CarlG 11-27-2017 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put a F150 4-speed OD in. Then 3rd gear is upper right.

Synchro909 11-27-2017 05:17 PM

Crickey! You need more leg room because the gear stick is in the way. You would be in real trouble over here!

eagle 11-27-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1557797)

Why not? I do it all the time. When you need to shift just rotate it down and it snaps right into place. I also bent my shifter to make more room. Grab onto it with both hands and bend it where you want it. Try not to apply the pressure against the shift forks. That's what I did.

klawockvet 11-27-2017 10:01 PM

Wasn't this one of Henry's better ideas and advertised to give more room? At least thats what I was told as a youngster.

Bill G 11-27-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klawockvet (Post 1558074)
Wasn't this one of Henry's better ideas and advertised to give more room? At least thats what I was told as a youngster.

Someone once told me that it was so a person could enter and exit the car from the passenger side when parked and easily slide across the front seat.

CWPASADENA 11-27-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1557797)

I have driven thousands of miles with the shift lever swung up out of the way. Never had a problem. The detents in the shift rails keep everything in place.

Chris W.

daveymc29 11-27-2017 10:35 PM

Some young lady showed me how that worked in my brother's 37 Roadster. She was correct, much more room.

Y-Blockhead 11-27-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1557786)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1558064)
Why not? I do it all the time. When you need to shift just rotate it down and it snaps right into place. I also bent my shifter to make more room. Grab onto it with both hands and bend it where you want it. Try not to apply the pressure against the shift forks. That's what I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA (Post 1558082)
I have driven thousands of miles with the shift lever swung up out of the way. Never had a problem. The detents in the shift rails keep everything in place.

Chris W.

Jeez, I meant the part about lifting the gear shift up while steering a moving car. Obviously not a problem for you guys... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by klawockvet (Post 1558074)

I sincerely doubt Henry advertised to move the shifter out of the way while driving. Parked? Maybe? But, hey. What do I know. :p:p

eagle 11-27-2017 11:06 PM

It doesn't lift hard, once your used to it, it isn't a problem.

25tford 11-27-2017 11:35 PM

When I had a 1929 Ford Model A tudor years ago the first thing my older neighbor showed me is by lifting and turning shift lever as described in the other messages;
"Here's how you get your girl to sit closer when you are parked".

40 Deluxe 11-28-2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

How about converting to a column shift like Ford did in 1940? There is plenty of info on upgrading to a V8 style case. Just get a '40-'48 trans and steering column with shift linkage, and start wrenching. It will be mostly bolt-in and will be able to return to stock parts easily.

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-28-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

I heated & bent Minervas' shifter, 3 TIMES:eek:, to get a "little" more leg room!
Bill Torch

Jim Brierley 11-28-2017 12:37 PM

Practice while parked, it's easy!

Cape Codder 11-29-2017 03:04 PM

eagle: Are you saying that you bent the shifter WITHOUT applying heat?

I had known about pulling the shifter up but did not have any luck! Maybe I need a little more spinach! So the idea of changing the gears, which several have chimed in and said not possible, so that thought of heating the shifter and bending. I will pursue pulling the shifter up a little more.

eagle 11-29-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1558745)
eagle: Are you saying that you bent the shifter WITHOUT applying heat?

I had known about pulling the shifter up but did not have any luck! Maybe I need a little more spinach! So the idea of changing the gears, which several have chimed in and said not possible, so that thought of heating the shifter and bending. I will pursue pulling the shifter up a little more.

Yes. It takes some spinach but its possible. Didn't want to discolor it. Also, if you haven't pulled the shifter up, it can be a little sticky.

1930.68B 11-29-2017 04:45 PM

Put a F150 4-speed OD in. Then 3rd gear is upper right.
Attached Thumbnails https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1511807352

I have the bell housing that is used to make this conversion but haven't been able to find any details about the year model of the Ford transmission I would need or what effect it has on the drive shaft tube. If you are aware of a thread on this subject, would post a link or title to look for.
Thanks