The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   59 AB engine rebuild (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148587)

Macdozer 09-02-2014 07:06 PM

59 AB engine rebuild

Thanks to everyone's help, I have successfully removed the engine and transmission from my 1936 panel delivery with a 59AB engine.

It's going to be a long process, working full time during the week slows things down.

I figured I would keep all of my engine related questions in this thread.

The engine is stuck and this past weekend I realized that I would have a very hard time removing the pistons if I couldn't rotate the crankshaft. From looking at the engine I thought that it wasn't the pistons stuck but the valve lifters that were causing the problem because of how rusty they are.

I took off the timing cover and removed the cam shaft gear and then I was able to rotate the crankshaft.

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b2ec1e4.jpg

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9fff248c.jpg

Now I am trying to remove the oil pump and it doesn't seem to want to come out. I removed the one bolt at the bottom of the oil pump (If engine is upside down)

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...psaeb2150c.jpg

Is there anything else I need to remove to get the whole pump out?

Walt Dupont--Me. 09-02-2014 07:17 PM

Re: 59 AB engine rebuild

Take a big pipe wrench and grab the big end of the pump, try to swist the pump back and forth. Don't worry about hurting the pump your going to replace it anyway. DON"T brake the pump off you'll be in deep s--t Walt

Binx 09-02-2014 07:42 PM

For stuck lifters I removed the pistons, crank and all valve assemblies. I soaked each lifter from both sides with the acetone/trans fluid (50/50 mix) for about a week. Some loosened, some didn't. I heated the rest with a propane torch then more 50/50. Few more still stuck. I got impatient and drove the rest out with a 1/4" brass drift next to the cam lobe. I did end up breaking two (Johnson style) lifters doing this. They seem hard, but they will shatter.

Lonnie

Ol' Ron 09-02-2014 10:34 PM

The first thing you want to do is get a good quality engine stand with an exhaust manifold adapter.. This will insure your and the engines safety. Now, you have to decide right now what you plan on doing to this engine and it's application and what you expect from it. THis is going to be expensive if you makes mistakes taking it apart. For instance, it has floating bearngs and they usually last for ever, but are very expensive. When you pull the rod caps make sure they go back on the rod the way they came off. Rempve the bearings and tape them together, they may be reusable. However if you plan on replacing all this they have value. Good luck, and Keep em runnin.

Capn John 09-03-2014 09:31 AM

Get your self a STUMPY'S ENGINE STAND ADAPTER and save some later grief !
http://stumpysfabworks.weebly.com/st..._Products.html

kegmon 09-03-2014 10:14 AM

Like Walt says... twist the pump with a big pipe wrench, but twist carefully applying a little upward pressure. I'd also advise removing the flywheel and the back gear cover plate and the idler gear (check other threads for how to do this...). that way you can keep an eye on the visible smaller end of the pump. You want to make sure to douse the smaller end with plenty of the acetone/tranny fluid (let that soak for a couple days with the engine right side up) and when you're twisting on the big end, make sure the small end is moving as well. It's pretty easy to bust the casing by twisting too hard, the large part of the pump will turn 360 degrees and seem to be freed up, but the smaller part will stay put... don't ask me how I know this.. mine came out in pieces!

Macdozer 09-05-2014 07:16 AM

I had to make a engine stand adapter on my own. All the ones I saw wouldn't work with the engine stand I have, it is bolted to the exhaust ports and everything is grade 8 bolts.

The plan with this engine is to just rebuild it to get it running, no performance want to keep it simple and original as possible. I will be taking it to a machine shop to get it cleaned and checked for cracks.

I guess my next step is to remove the flywheel and the back gear cover plate and the idler gear for the oil pump and then try to remove oil pump again.

Ol' Ron 09-05-2014 09:52 AM

Mac dozer
In this case the rods and bearings may be reusable. I save these for just such a rebuild and don't like using new bearings if I can find GOOD used ones. That goes for the 29A rods. Make sure the small ends are OK and only remove the bushings IF the shop has the proper tooling to replace them. Here again the wrist pin bearings rarely need replacing. These two items are the most expensive parts of an early rebuild.

SofaKing 09-05-2014 10:16 AM

Quoting Ol' Ron,
"In this case the rods and bearings may be reusable. I save these for just such a rebuild and don't like using new bearings if I can find GOOD used ones."

Ron, will you please elaborate on why you prefer good used bearings? I am new to flatheads and have a 1936 49B and another 59AB that I am tearing down to see which is in better shape for a rebuild. The 49B is apart and the rod bearings are inserts, they look a little odd from what I am used to in that they have what appears to be imbedded granular structures that do not appear to be from a foreign source, ie contamination. I have not yet checked the clearances pending a trip to the hot tank.

Ol' Ron 09-05-2014 01:54 PM

The 49/53 engines have lock in bearings, the same as most other engines. The pre 49 Ford engines all had floating bearings. This bearing does pt lock into the rod or anything else. It just floats between the rod and crank. These older bearings were mad from cadmium and silver in some cases. Heavy duty bearings were mad from a bronze alloy. These bearings MUST be fit to the crank. New replacement bearings are not of the same quality. Also NOS bearings have a tendency to flake from old age. so a good full flow oil filter is a plus for longevity. I cover this in my book.

supereal 09-05-2014 02:32 PM

The photo shows orange gunk. That is almost always a sign that water entered the engine some time. The front shows evidence of the same. If it was stored in the open, it could happen. Otherwise, there may be cracks in the block that allowed water in the jackets to flow into the pan.. Look at the inside walls of the lower end for holes or cracks. that is the usual place for freeze cracks. We have seen too many like that to believe that block is worth rebuilding.

flatjack9 09-05-2014 05:15 PM

There is no way to know whether the block is any good until it undergoes a thorough cleaning and inspection. Anything now is just speculation.

Binx 09-05-2014 06:29 PM

That engine looks like it has been through a storm flood.

Lonnie

Ol' Ron 09-05-2014 08:17 PM

Have it baked cleaned. Mag first to save your money

53OlderThanMe 09-05-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 940692)
The 49/53 engines have lock in bearings, the same as most other engines. The pre 49 Ford engines all had floating bearings. This bearing does pt lock into the rod or anything else. It just floats between the rod and crank. These older bearings were mad from cadmium and silver in some cases. Heavy duty bearings were mad from a bronze alloy. These bearings MUST be fit to the crank. New replacement bearings are not of the same quality. Also NOS bearings have a tendency to flake from old age. so a good full flow oil filter is a plus for longevity. I cover this in my book.

I seem to remember someone was selling your book Ron. If anyone knows please pm me as I am just starting a rebuild of my 59A block. Already tanked and mag'd with a few minor cracks. Worst part has been getting the studs out :mad:.

Ol' Ron 09-05-2014 10:09 PM

Shelly at Mac VP is re doing it and it should be available soon.

Macdozer 09-08-2014 06:46 PM

How do you know that the bearings are good, what is the best way check them?

What if you find one bad bearing, can you replace just one and still use the other old ones?

Macdozer 09-09-2014 05:30 PM

What are the specs or where can I find what the allowable tolerance of the bearings and crankshaft are?

JSeery 09-09-2014 05:45 PM

Most rebuild manuals have that type of information and I would bet Ol Ron's book would be one of them! Were you interested in specific suggestions on the manuals or just the sources in general?

Macdozer 09-09-2014 07:15 PM

I have a few books, looking for all the info I can get. Believe it or not this engine came out of a panel delivery that was running 30 years ago and has been kept inside dry location ever sense, not sure what happened to it in that time.

What do most people do reuse old bearings or just put new ones in?

I still have to measure and see what I have. From info I found on van pelt web site I should be looking for a measurement of no less then 0.1085 for the connecting rod bearings.