The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   This is probly the best add I have ever seen to sell a 1931 Phaeton (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43411)

Dave27 07-28-2011 10:10 AM

This is probly the best add I have ever seen to sell a 1931 Phaeton

Heres the link, what a sweet looking car for a cool $27,000 Just curious is that the going rate for one in this condition.
http://www.thefreemancenter.com/Phae...roduction.html

FL&WVMIKE 07-28-2011 10:23 AM

Re: This is probly the best add I have ever seen to sell a 1931 Phaeton

That was a cool ad. But a prospective buyer would, probably, want to see more details, than a "artsy fartsy" commercial.
MIKE :)

Comet 07-28-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 246719)
That was a cool ad. But a prospective buyer would, probably, want to see more details, than a "artsy fartsy" commercial.

You obviously didn't look at the whole website. Click on more details and watch a narrated slide show.

Doug in NJ 07-28-2011 10:58 AM

Not a bad video, but it goes S O O O S L O W ......

Modern new car commercials are edited a bit more tightly...

Doug

FL&WVMIKE 07-28-2011 11:16 AM

COMET ..........................
You are right ! I did not look at the rest of the web-site. It does show more details.
It came across, that I did not like the "Commercial". In fact, I loved it ! I liked the blues music, as well.
Thanks,

Great Lakes Greg 07-28-2011 04:47 PM

'31's are significantly more rare than the '30's. 4000 built, I believe. Perhaps the coolest video I have seen to date. Looks like a honey of a car. I'd say the price is right.

MikeK 07-28-2011 05:09 PM

The ad claims it received 394 points at a 2004 meet, that gives you an idea of how 'original' and correct things are. I know where some of the lost 106 points went- it has the wrong engine!! It is a "B" with a Canadian "A" number stamped on the block. I always thought standard phaetons looked best all black.

Don/WI 07-28-2011 07:10 PM

I agree with the other responses! It is a beautiful "A". The presentation in its entirity is just great. The guy must be in advertising or knows someone that is. Very professional. If I had an extra $30,000 laying around I would consider it. Don/WI

glenn in camino 07-28-2011 07:28 PM

Ask the guys who think Model A prices are going down.

Dave27 07-29-2011 10:52 AM

Wow good info only 4,000 no wonder the value is so high,and of course that its very nice too. No I'm not thinking of buying it...LOL...my wife would strangle me.

700rpm 07-29-2011 08:28 PM

I worked in advertising and marketing for 37 years, and to my mind, that is a very good ad. It informs the buyer, it creates the dream, it shows the product in action, and it ultimately makes the prospective buyer want the product. And it does it without babies, breasts, or beagles (an old advertising joke):)

Roadster62 07-29-2011 08:30 PM

If I had the money I'd buy it.

Oldman Freeman 07-30-2011 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow! Thanks guys! I'm Steve Freeman, the owner of the '31 phaeton. Thought I might clarify some things for you.

Doug in NJ: "Not a bad video, but it goes S O O O S L O W ......"
We wanted to share the feeling of a leisurely trip down a scenic back road. Doesn't driving your Model A drop your blood pressure by a few points...except for that panic stop time? Model A's are not a "hurry-up" vehicle so why should the ad be?

Great Lakes Greg: " 4000 built, I believe."
Is that 4000 Canadian or 4000 total? This is a Canadian through and through.

Mike K: "The ad claims it received 394 points at a 2004 meet, that gives you an idea of how 'original' and correct things are. I know where some of the lost 106 points went- it has the wrong engine!! It is a "B" with a Canadian "A" number stamped on the block. "
You misread the ad. I said I have a '29 Panel Delivery that scored 394, not that this phaeton scored that. I said the phaeton is a nicer car than my panel though you are correct, it would lose points for the "B" engine. As I stated, the "B" engine was most likely installed very early in the life of this car. It was in it when the guy who started the restoration in 1957 bought it and he had it some time before he started the restoration. I only stated the points scored by the panel to suggest that this is a very nice car. The judges told me they did not see enough panels to know the finer points of them. They docked me 8 points for lack of a headliner. Panels never had headliners. I restored the panel in 11 months, start to finish and finished it about 2 days before the Portland meet in 2004. The judges pointed out a few things I had not installed quite right, which I fixed. These things are right on the phaeton.

Don/WI: The guy must be in advertising or knows someone that is. Very professional.
Thanks Don. I've passed the compliment on to my son. He is self-trained and has started his own videography business. He is doing some weddings to pay the rent but his passion is for the more creative projects. He has done a set of DVD's for a Dr. about exercises to help prolong one's ability to play golf well. That was not creative, it was boring! He is doing some display videos and commercials for a jewelry company. He also shot the stills. He is willing to fly someplace to shoot the video if anyone has a creative project for him! He must have gotten all of his talent from his old man...because I don't have any left! All I did was build the website and create the narrative. No professional here either, just an old schoolteacher.

500RPM, Isaac, my son, just responded to this thread and he appreciates your kind review of his work.

Roadster 62, I like your signature line. I do have a couple decent cars but I, too, am here because I enjoy them all. My cars are driven a lot. I don't want a car I can't enjoy driving. Below is another one I got back on the road after 50 years. It might be a 3.94 point car!

Again, I appreciate everyone's contribution to our conversation here.

Benson 07-30-2011 09:28 AM

Steve and Isaac,

Wow what a nice video! Great camera angles and excellent framing of scenes with the frame "cut-ins"! I love it! Superb editing!

Best I have seen in my 50 years of photo experience. Music choice is spot on.

One question ... was the stop at the silo a pee break in real life? ;)

dean from bozeman 07-30-2011 10:42 AM

This is an excellent video. I hope that he finds a great home for his phaeton.

How about having a section on Fordbarn for videos? traditional Ford ones, nicely made ones like this one.

This video also would be a great recruiting tool for prospective Model A hobbyists. It would be a great way to get younger people involved too. Heck, give young folks a competition for photos they take and videos they make about traditional Model A's and I bet that you would see a corresponding spike in youth embracing the hobby.

...just some thoughts...

Oldman Freeman 07-30-2011 11:03 AM

Oops! Sorry 700RPM! I wasn't trying to infer that you weren't revving as high as you should be!

Oldman Freeman 07-30-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 247890)
Steve and Isaac,

Wow what a nice video! Great camera angles and excellent framing of scenes with the frame "cut-ins"! I love it! Superb editing!

Best I have seen in my 50 years of photo experience. Music choice is spot on.

One question ... was the stop at the silo a pee break in real life? ;)

Thanks Benson. My son is really enjoying the feedback he's receiving from this site.

After Isaac edited the video and I saw it for the first time. I suggested that perhaps I should have been zipping up my pants when I came back into that scene. It wasn't really a pee break but it struck me that it could have been!

We appreciate your input.

Steve

Oldman Freeman 07-30-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean from bozeman (Post 247926)
This is an excellent video. I hope that he finds a great home for his phaeton.

How about having a section on Fordbarn for videos? traditional Ford ones, nicely made ones like this one.

This video also would be a great recruiting tool for prospective Model A hobbyists. It would be a great way to get younger people involved too. Heck, give young folks a competition for photos they take and videos they make about traditional Model A's and I bet that you would see a corresponding spike in youth embracing the hobby.

...just some thoughts...

Thanks Dean. I love your ideas about a video section and a youth competition. It would be good to get fresh blood into the hobby.

700rpm 07-30-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman Freeman (Post 247936)
Oops! Sorry 700RPM! I wasn't trying to infer that you weren't revving as high as you should be!

Well, I have slowed down as I've gotten older...

Dave27 07-31-2011 01:42 AM

Wow!!!!! This is great the owner of the car saw the post and got to talk to everyone...I'm glad I posted it now and hopefully this will help his car find a new home :)