The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine removal question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247553)

dpson 07-09-2018 09:09 PM

Engine removal question

In reading the engine removal instructions in the Les Andrews book, he says to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, the distributor, oil filler pipe, etc.

If I'm just doing an engine swap, can those items be left on the engine during removal and installation?

It seems to me they won't be in the way of anything if the radiator and headlight bar are removed.

1crosscut 07-09-2018 09:23 PM

Re: Engine removal question

You can leave that stuff on. I would remove the distributor at a minimum though.

Fred K-OR 07-09-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1649455)
You can leave that stuff on. I would remove the distributor at a minimum though.

I would also make sure the carb is removed also

TomballMottershaw 07-10-2018 08:10 AM

when I pull / install motors, with or without transmission, I don't remove the headlight bar, as it's a pain to get off / on.
but you need a hoist / chain-fall that can lift vertically not a classic arm based engine hoist. a Gantry Crane works well.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-10-2018 09:24 AM

I,m OLD, I've seen a Model A motor removed with a CHAIN, a LONG pole, 2 STRONG Men & a BOY!!!
Bill Ihelped

Big hammer 07-10-2018 01:41 PM

I know of a kid that drop an A motor to a creeper and jacked the frame and body up, then rolled the motor out ! He couldn’t get it back in the same way, enlisted two brothers and dad to lift the motor back in. Dad wasn’t very happy and said you wouldn’t do that again.

Bill G 07-10-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomballMottershaw (Post 1649525)
I don't remove the headlight bar, as it's a pain to get off / on.

Ditto.

CarlG 07-10-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1649550)
I,m OLD, I've seen a Model A motor removed with a CHAIN, a LONG pole, 2 STRONG Men & a BOY!!!
Bill Ihelped

That's the way my Dad & I did it, except that there was only one man and me as a teenager.

chap52 07-10-2018 06:14 PM

Yep, remember pulling a 4 cyl. engine out of a 1958 MG using a 2x4, rope and another guy as crazy as I was. That was about 55 years ago. Nowadays I use the same method to remove the engine off an old lawnmower.
Is this what is called an "acquired skill", or???

dpson 07-10-2018 06:37 PM

I decided to remove the headlight bar, the idea of lifting the engine high enough to go over it didn't appeal to me, getting the mounting bolts out thru the fender brackets was a PIA, however the worst part was undoing the headlight wires which the previous owner had connected with crimped wire splices, had no choice but to cut the wires. Waiting for help to lift the hood off next. Most everything else is disconnected and out of the way.

I'm pulling the engine only, not the tranny. Will keep you posted, thanks for the advice.

Benson 07-11-2018 04:01 AM

Good idea to remove the throttle linkage from rear of engine so that it does not get all bent up as they often do.

Many times it takes hours of messing around to get the linkage to work again!

Often the two 0.010 thick shims from upper flywheel cover bolts get lost in the process so good idea to check that they do not drop off and get lost.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-11-2018 07:49 AM

Once I freed up the hinge pins, I removed the hood, in sections, to prevent damage. Then I replaced the hinge pins with WOOD Dowels, soaked in Linseed Oil. Linseed Oil comes from FLAX SEEDS. (NOT good for cookin' FOODS!)
Bill Tricky

Farrell In Vancouver 07-11-2018 11:51 AM

To remove the hood you can remove the rear mount, the fold both sides up and rest them on the cowl. Move to stand in between the frame rails and grab both hood handles and lift it free. Slowly rotate yourself and remember to step over the front bumper and lower it onto a piece of carpet or cardboard. Well it works for me..........

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-11-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1649550)
Bill Ihelped

Have you ever seen an engine removed with inner tubes?

dpson 07-11-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver (Post 1649911)
To remove the hood you can remove the rear mount, the fold both sides up and rest them on the cowl. Move to stand in between the frame rails and grab both hood handles and lift it free. Slowly rotate yourself and remember to step over the front bumper and lower it onto a piece of carpet or cardboard. Well it works for me..........

Thanks, had my wife help lift the hood out (yes, we're still talking afterwards) as I hurt my back on Sunday cleaning out some heavy car stuff to go to the scrap yard. The only hold up was I had to tap the front of the hood with a rubber mallet as it was stuck in the radiator shell bracket. Getting the radiator out was also a PIA, couldn't get the lower mounting brackets out easily, the fender aprons kept them from being lifted up, so I had to drop the front splash apron and slide the bottom forward to get it out. If all goes the engine will be out tomorrow.