The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bushing dropped out of crab distributor? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320306)

ford38v8 11-14-2022 01:19 AM

Re: Bushing dropped out of crab distributor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd1101 (Post 2180783)
Now that's interesting......never seen one. :eek:

Who'da thunk there could be such a thing as a flathead enthusiast who has never seen a crab distributor. :confused:

GB SISSON 11-14-2022 11:24 AM

Hey, easy on this guy.... He's got one of those modern spark o matic jobs. It's not too late for him to improve his system by installing a 'crab on a stick' into that post hole. Seems I read about some conversion where this was done.

ford38v8 11-14-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 2181331)
Hey, easy on this guy.... He's got one of those modern spark o matic jobs. It's not too late for him to improve his system by installing a 'crab on a stick' into that post hole. Seems I read about some conversion where this was done.

Now THAT would be interesting!

tubman 11-14-2022 11:53 AM

Mallory made a "crab" cap that fit their standard distributors for marine use. I looked for one for years and finally found one.

Tim Ayers 11-14-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2181343)
Mallory made a "crab" cap that fit their standard distributors for marine use. I looked for one for years and finally found one.

I found one of these crab capped marine Mallory dizzys at Hershey this year. I just assumed the cap was the same as a flathead cap. Is that not the case?

BUBBAS IGNITION 11-14-2022 02:26 PM

Mallory flatcap marine is a different housing !!!!!

Tim Ayers 11-14-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 2181371)
Mallory flatcap marine is a different housing !!!!!

Sure, I just assumed that it would have been designed to use the flathead cap they made.

I've found a few caps available at Marine supply houses. I don't plan to keep mine.

cas3 11-14-2022 03:06 PM

Good to hear from you Bubba ! Hope you are doing OK.

GB SISSON 11-14-2022 04:46 PM

Are we talking about putting a crab cap on a load o matic distributor? What I recall was seeing an adapter to add a long post onto a ford '42-'48 front mounted type distributor so a normal human could see it and work on it. OK, so an 'old' human could see it and work on it. .....

rotorwrench 11-14-2022 08:05 PM

Mallory likely made most of the distributor caps as well as a lot of other ignition components for Ford since the front mounted distributors were mostly Mallory designs approved by Ford. Henry liked Marion Mallory. It may have been the Irish background.

After Hank the Deuce took over, the new 1948/49 8BA designs changed over to the Holly Load-O-Matic systems.