The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck based woody (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175939)

38bill 08-08-2017 09:59 AM

Re: Truck based woody

This is what I used on my 59AB wide belt with bolt-on fan carrier. Worked fine unless they have changed it. I'll go out and see if I had to modify the alt.

update: Looks basically the same as the one I have with no mods????

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain-...cket,4242.html

GB SISSON 08-08-2017 08:26 PM

Thank you Bill. I got one coming! I am keeping the old one because I have a bunch of engines and a bunch of ideas. It may work out on a future project. Your link is was I should have ordered in the first place.

jerseyboy 08-17-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteVS (Post 1509984)
We need a "like" button on FordBarn!

Hear hear! Great idea!

One of my favorite builds!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

A bones 08-17-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1510016)
Thanks guys.
It didn't have holes for the fan mount so I guess I ordered the wrong one.

Here's my setup now and I'm wanting to go with 12v alternator which I just bought.

Curiosity killed the cat, but I wonder... Can 'Woody' only tell the temp of the left bank?

GB SISSON 08-18-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A bones (Post 1515116)
Curiosity killed the cat, but I wonder... Can 'Woody' only tell the temp of the left bank?

Yes, only that side, but his right boot can give us a fairly reliable read on the rpms as it ticks against the fan blade tips. The ratio of fan pulley to crank pulley must be factored in and then divided by four on account of it being a four blade fan. Of course it's plus or minus 2 percent because of belt slip.

A bones 08-18-2017 10:26 PM

I give you the last word. But PM sent anyway.:D

GB SISSON 08-20-2017 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been away a couple days, but in answer to Abones pm, I have to agree that Buzz Lightyear would be better at calculating rpms than that old hick Woody. And no I don't collect action figures....... I have grandkids!

GB SISSON 08-28-2017 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did the 24 mile round trip to town with the missus. I sit on a bucket seat from an old fj 40 landcruiser and she on a worn out school bus driver's seat alongside. Doors are latched with barrel bolts and rear doors pulled tight with a bungee cord. Body seems real solid since some reinforcement and that 59 replacement block overhaul is strong and quiet with no sign of smoke. The 3 speed trans that truckdog sent me is silky smooth,The 5 lb test (flour sack)adjustable lifters are dialed in, the Bubba's crab is flawless, the Jere Jobe carb perfect, the Drakes ball bearing water pumps and the speedway alt conversion along with the 3rd street garage voltage drops and all new wiring (one piece at a time) by yours truly all have lead to some successful and enjoyable shake down rides. I am running a 15 gallon polyethylene gas tank from tanks inc because try as I may, there was just no way to get the '39 pu tank (that 5140bat sent to me by way of expaver), into position and having a fuel fill. It's a very nice tank and I already have plans for it on my next build. Coming home last evening through the State Park there is a bank alongside the road where all my favorite fords have cast their individual shadows. This time I asked my wife to bust out her phone and get a photo of us whizzing by. Woodie now has both bumpers, grille shell, headlights (for show at this point) registration and Hagerty insurance! Thanks to so many who have made this possible.

PeteVS 08-28-2017 04:49 PM

Nice now that it's all coming together!

sidevalve8ba 08-29-2017 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
GB,
I ran across this photo on the Internet the other day and thought you might enjoy seeing it. Seems that it is from Brazil. I don't have any details on it.

GB SISSON 08-29-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba (Post 1519966)
GB,
I ran across this photo on the Internet the other day and thought you might enjoy seeing it. Seems that it is from Brazil. I don't have any details on it.

Thanks Ted, That's a really cool rig. I'll ad it to my collection of woodie trucks.

GB SISSON 09-03-2017 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
With a holiday weekend I found some time to install the grille and I have been wiring up the horn too. I now have maybe 250 miles on the overhauled engine just running around this past week. Temps are really warm for the Pacific NW. In the high 80s low 90s, so who needs windows? Speaking of warm temps, I got my roofing material and my J shaped drip rail. Tuesday is supposed to be te hottest day next week so the plan is to stretch it over the top and fasten it down.... Not sure what year my bumpers are. Two different sources, but the same. Not '42-'47 but earlier. They are sort of pinched on the ends. I like them. I also wire wheeled and painted the insides of the front fenders with a brush. They will go on soon.

38bill 09-04-2017 10:40 AM

What material did you end up getting for the roofing?

mhsprecher 09-04-2017 06:01 PM

It is really coming together.

GB SISSON 09-04-2017 10:11 PM

I bought a 10 x 10 piece of 60 mil Firestone EPDM roofing on amazon for 97 bucks. 50 year guarantee. Looks like it will stretch nicely on the rear corners. It came on Friday and I plan to get a couple friends over tomorrow because it will be almost 90 in the afternoon. I also picked up a 'J' metal drip rail from an RV place, aluminum with black powder coat. It is 1 1/8" high and has holes on 6" centers. This was 32 bucks for each 16' section. I found some black #8 x 1" screws on amazon to fasten it with. The long grain vinyl I can find is 2" too narrow for my truck woodie and so I would need two pieces with a seam. Reproduction woodie gutters are something like 600.00 and too short. I will get some photos once it's on. Got my front fenders on today. Ran out of daylight to get the hood back on but that is close. Finally starting to look like a car. Or is it a truck?

Bill 09-05-2017 08:28 AM

Repeat this ten times IT'S A WOODIE! Got it? GOOD...Good luck with the top..:cool: Bill

flatford8 09-05-2017 08:10 PM

Man I can't wait for you to take us all for a ride......Mark

GB SISSON 09-07-2017 12:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I keep adding parts. Paint job will never win any shows, but My steep 1/2 mile gravel road eats paint and spits it out.

meric42 09-07-2017 02:53 PM

That's awesome :)

Chris 09-07-2017 03:01 PM

My friend Chris Carter just sent me pictures of your woody today! You got the truck from him, but before that he got it from me! I got it from the North Idaho/WA border area.

I love what you've done!!

Chris