The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would you restore a Model A today or not? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184473)

Gerryde 12-10-2015 02:09 PM

Re: Would you restore a Model A today or not?

Yes .

31Tudor 12-10-2015 02:17 PM

I voted yes, and for me it is a hobby. It is something I enjoy and do to unwind; I don't worry to much about what I buy, or if I will get my money out. I can't put a price on the satisfaction of a finished car that I restored.

Model A Man 12-10-2015 02:50 PM

only if there were brand new motors available at a reasonable cost (like the cost of a crate 350 motor) not enough good experiences with rebuilt model A motors to go that route again.

C26Pinelake 12-10-2015 02:56 PM

No, I have bought four totally restored for less than half of what the person invested. Quite often at estate or BJ auctions.
Wayne

SHEC 12-10-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 1203475)
I am interested in whether the Fordbarn community would or would not restore a Model A today. I am looking for either a Yes or No answer. I don't want to get sidetracked regarding "for a low enough price" or "that bodystyle is not worth it", or "it's too rough", or "it's too much money" etc.
Every person's reasons are their own (if you want to state them as you vote, that's fine). I am looking for an up or down vote. I am interested in where people stand today. Thanks in advance for your participation.

No - I would not as there are so many quality older restorations available for sale. Apparently some younger family members are not linked to Dad or Grandma & Grandpa's "A", so off they go to the market place.:confused:

Some nice cars out there, restored lovingly and now ( in some areas), way under the price of a solid restoration currently. Checked out the price to paint a car nowadays? :mad:

Thanks for a great question -

Be well -

SHEC :cool:

JOHN CT 12-10-2015 03:12 PM

No cuz I ran out of garage space. The town (and the bride) will not let me build another garage.

ronn 12-10-2015 03:28 PM

absolutely!

http://fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/buttons/viewpost.gif Yes, If I could permission from my wife

If I had to get permission from my wife, it would be no
to having the wife that is...............

henry's 31 12-10-2015 03:42 PM

Now yes. I have my Father's car to restore. The other 2 Model A's I have only when they need to be re-restored. Any other Model only if it was a rare Model, ie Station Wagon. To me is the journey and the satisfaction of bringing something back ton life.

lakeside 12-10-2015 04:40 PM

Yes ( if money were no concern).

jeep44 12-10-2015 04:49 PM

At my age (62), no. I've spent my whole life restoring various vehicles. At this stage in my life, if I get something else, like a Model T, it is going to be a decent driver, at a minimum.

art ebeling 12-10-2015 04:50 PM

Yep

pooch 12-10-2015 04:52 PM

Yes and No here.

Yes to restore a body, No to restore the slow running gear..

Not after I saw the light. and found out much more fun a model A hotrod was to drive.

Vonn Ditch 12-10-2015 04:58 PM

I wouldn't do another one. The V8 cars have more interest for me these days. I built a model a coupe with a 292 Y-Block and a T5 five speed last year and drove it cross country this summer. That was fun!!

Will Ziegler in LI NY 12-10-2015 05:57 PM

Yes of course. I get a lot out of bringing something back to life!

1929 12-10-2015 06:09 PM

Yes, I restored the A in less then a year, put the frame in the back of my truck and had it sandblasted, and built it back to a car from there. Now I cant stop driving it-addicted to the ride.

Dennis Pereira 12-10-2015 06:15 PM

Yes I need a project on rainy days . I'm trying to restore one now .

Mitch//pa 12-10-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1203679)
Working on one right now. A 1930 fordor. Chassis is done and running. Just putting wood body together now.

Would love to see some pics

Curly 12-10-2015 07:04 PM

I voted no. I think it is cheaper to buy a quality car that is already done. Also, I dont have all the skill required.

asapguy 12-10-2015 07:35 PM

No, with three Model A done & three other cars 35 Ford 5w, 37 Chevy 5W & a 55 Chevy all done it's enough work just keeping them up. I do have a 30 CCPU unrestored but will just keep it that way.

Gary Karr 12-10-2015 07:35 PM

I'm not sure. I'm in the middle of a 12 year restoration right now. Not sure I'll live long enough to do another one after this one is finished!