Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
mrmoose

Default 1941 4 cylinder pickup

A lot of folks here and over at the HAMB have been looking for information on the 4 cylinder available in Fords for a short time in the 40s. I've owned for the last 6+ years a 1941 Ford pickup with that 4 cylinder engine. While I'm no expert, mine is largely original and I've learned a little bit about them and was asked to share.
Here is Clem before he arrived in sunny Florida from Wisconsin...previously owned by 2 working farmers and one "gentleman" farmer...

1941Jan06 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Polished up a bit by the new owner...an ungentlemanly farmer wannabe...

100_0354 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

And here's a shot of the little 4 banger. These were exactly the same as the 9N Ford tractor motor with the exception of the air cleaner, fuel pump (gravity feed on the tractor, mechanical on the pickup) and governor (none on the pickup) and were mated to the Ford 4 speed non-synchro transmission. I've seen the HP rated from anywhere from 23 to 40 HP...they are slow, very slow, and as a result did not sell well...it is thought only a few hundred were produced, but I have never been able to verify production numbers. Being rare doesn't make one especially desirable, as again, they are slow. That does not stop me from driving Clem every weekend, and occasionally on weekdays, in Florida traffic. All I do is force everyone around me to have a little more patience...and it has worked thus far. I have had him up to 60, but it took some time getting there. 4.55 rear end. Cruises comfortably at 50 though.

040708 025 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

I have rebuilt the front end and replaced the spring, replaced brakes, and the little truck really goes down the road nice. Clutch is nearly gone though, and Clem shifts very hard and sloppy, so will need to pull tranny in the near future.

040708 023 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

After replacing a blown head gasket and a little cleanup, the little motor looks a little better..(note original wiring harness...risky)

to 120609 007 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

You'll see Clem change little by little over time..

1941 Ford pickup "Clem" by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Had the running boards coated with a bed coating called LinerZ...was applied very hot....tough stuff, and I don't slip off the boards when wet now...

1941 Ford pickup runningboard by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Clem does not shirk from work....

to 062809 016 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

1941 Ford pickup by mrmoose1, on Flickr

1941 Ford pickup by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Family and friends go for rides regularly (note unsecured lawn chairs in the back end-living large and dangerous)

truck ridz by mrmoose1, on Flickr

A year and a half ago....time to ditch the wiring harness (fire hazards don't get much more obvious than this)

wiring harness-in process by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Headlight harness before...

headlight wiring-before by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Headlight harness after...if you wonder about the shiney stuff in the bucket, when I repair the old iron I generally grind and paint, or scuff and coat with Gibbs brand as I did here...seems to slow or stop rust. I'm not intent on restoring Clem, only keeping him sort of original.

headlight wiring-after by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Uh oh, fat boy down! They'll probably need a crane to git me outta there! Stuck under there working on the harness. Note the 60mph speedo. Of the few of these you'll see most have replaced with the 100mph speedo which is correct for the 6 cylinder and the 85HP V-8 but not for the 9N.

031211 030 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

031211 028 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

052811-2 007 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Neat item...an Optima battery inside a Ford script case....I got tired of replacing the NAPA 6V batteries (generally old when you buy them) and not being able to count on them, so spent the long $$ on this. Very pleased so far.

081812 002 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

So there you have some of the basics. I have thought of replacing the little 4 with a proper flathead, and have the correct front crossmember and a rebuidable radiator in the shed, but generally have decided to keep the little 4 in there. The decision is aided by a lack of funding, which I guess isn't always a bad thing. I hope I've helped a little with what you may not have known....if questions be patient as I do not get hereas often as I'd like sometimes.

mrmoose
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
1952henry

Default Re: 1941 4 cylinder pickup

A vote for keeping the 4! And a question. Am I correct in my thinking the serial number on the engine does not have a 9? Does it start with N?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Jeff, outstand story and photos and, if it counts for anything, I'd keep the 9N four banger and everything else just the way it is... Hope to see you soon. Vic
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
mrmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
A vote for keeping the 4! And a question. Am I correct in my thinking the serial number on the engine does not have a 9? Does it start with N?
Henry, serial #9T***, and the VIN is the same...frame # is different, but is original frame. Odd stuff huh.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
mrmoose

Thanks Vic, and you are probably right. maybe I'll listen to you for a change!....ahahahahahah
Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
Thanks Vic, and you are probably right. maybe I'll listen to you for a change!....ahahahahahah
That might be dangerous... Perhaps you should reconsider... LOL
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Marcus

Mr. Moose - Great to see Ol' Clem, and to re-hear his story!! I'm with Vic (for what it is worth) and keep the 4-banger!! Besides, all you have to worry about in that Florida traffic is WHEN is Granny going to FINALLY make the left turn she has been signalling for the past 9 miles.......HUGE GRIN!! Clem and Clyde have much in common - starting with WORK trucks.......!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
jimTN

Change that 9:41 center section out to a 9:37 (4.11) and you will be able to up your speed and on flat ground should work fine. Those are great engines and believe it or not, some perk up stuff is around for them. Sherman head and pop up pistons. Thought I would never see another set of them and low and behold there was a set on Tbay about three months ago even if I got out bid at the last minute. That same engine was used in the 41 prototype model GP jeep. It had a slightly different front plate, conventional up right dist and down draft carb. I have one of those and it does not have sleves like a the n tractor engine.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
mrmoose

Marcus, you need to take a break from the court stuff (and congratulations, by the way...I understand you are really making a difference up there...we need more of that here) and come on down here for a little r&r. I think little Clyde is a jewel, by the way. Jewel or no, work his patooti off. They seem to like it.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
mrmoose

Jim, hoppin up Clem isn't an option, due to finances and general lack of gumption. That said however, I'd sure like to hear your thoughts on the hop up. The 9N is a sleeved engine, side draft carb, that is anemic as can be. Years ago I had a couple of 36HP VWs that could run circles around old Clem and come back and give you change. As I understand it the plan was to put the 9Ns in these for awhile but they were only put in '41s and a very limited # of 42's. Plenty of torque but no pizazz. But Clem is fun anyway.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Vic Piano

Jeff, it's a Ford and its flat, what could be wrong... I'd change nothing and use it the way it was intended... I've got some tree stumps that need pullin' and I still don't have an 8N...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
mrmoose

Cost you some pizza. Maybe a Schitz too.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Steves46

Hi Jeff. Thanks for sharing those terrific photos of Clem and the interesting info about the 9N and if I may add my vote with the others...keep the 4 banger! Hope to see you in the near future. Steve
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
Henry, serial #9T***, and the VIN is the same...frame # is different, but is original frame. Odd stuff huh.
Thanks for that. So it has a T instead of N.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
oldford2

Jeff,
Nice pics and history on the 41 four bangers. Hope to see you and Clem in a few months.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
mrmoose

hey Henry, my younger daughter lives up near you....Willison...and 4 beautiful grandkids. I have been there, and when I go again, may just look you up. Watch out. Also, try some Schlitz...I think you can still get it there. You'll want to ditch the Homebrew.

moose
Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
mrmoose

John, when you and Barb get down I am going to take you for a rapid ride around the block (many blocks if you're up to it). Clem corners amazingly. Well, maybe not amazingly..but fun yes.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Tinker

Great story Moose. Clem is good just the way it is.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
mrmoose

Stop by when you find a moment....I want a ride in that old blue '36.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Tinker

Ha, I just typed that in your Amos thread! Will do!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote