Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Model B '34 Motor?

Did Ford build a Four cylinder Model "B" engine in 1934? If so are there any distinctive external or internal differences from an "A" motor? Any advantages to a "B" motor over an "A"? Any and all comments would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Joe Grobleski
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Model B '34 Motor?

Its supposedly a better engine,has bigger carb and has a fuel pump. They WERE made in 34. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Yes but they were frequently incorrectly called the Model C motor. The Model B in 1932 is close to the Model A except a different oil pan, side plate, timing cover, distributer, manifolds, carburetor and fuel pump. The Model B motor in 1933-34 was slightly shorter and requires the use of the 1932 water pump, timing cover and crank pulley to be the correct length for installation in a Model A. The 1933-34 engines all had counterweighted crank shafts. Most 1932 Model B engines did not have counterweighted crankshafts although the late ones did. The engines were rated at 50 hp versus 40 hp for the Model A. The crank bearings were larger but the top of the block was thinner and more likely to crack. Both engines were the same displacement and any speed equipment could be added to either engine and get the same effect. You could add to a Model A engine a high performance cam, a counterbalanced crank, a Model B carburetor and a high compression head and have the same performance as a Model B (or better depending upon what you added).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-21-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
midgetracer

The obvious external differences are, on the B engine:
1. the head has a 3 bolt water pump with the water outlet attached to the water pump.
2. there is a fuel pump opening on the right side of the engine.
3. there is no external oil run back tube and the side cover is taller.
4. The intake manifold has a flat top.
5. The front cover has an elongated boss where the timing pin screws into.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Ice man

Also The B engine was pressure (oil) to the mains and cam bearings. Still splash on the rods. SOSS had a story a while back (Oct 1999) about improving even the improved oil system. I tried it and she was running 100 psi with out a pressure relief valve (which I added) SOSS July 2008, page 38. Best thing I did was the Lion Speed Head and cut 30# off the fly wheel (am running a counter balanced crank) With a T-5, 5 speed and Hi gears in the rear,she ran away from many cars at the light and would run at 75 MPH in Florida.
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
van Dyck

4. and the carburetor flange not parallel to the block.
6. larger oil filler tube than Model A.
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Dyck View Post
4. and the carburetor flange not parallel to the block.
6. larger oil filler tube than Model A.
Probably shouldn't nitpick but the change over to the larger diameter pipe may have been as high as serial number B5081832 (ref page 5-6 of "The 1932 Ford Book"). Prior to that the pipe was the same diameter as the Model A but slightly longer (I guess you could technically call this larger, but I don't think it is what you meant).

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Ghost of elmirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Yes but they were frequently incorrectly called the Model C motor. The Model B in 1932 is close to the Model A except a different oil pan, side plate, timing cover, distributer, manifolds, carburetor and fuel pump. The Model B motor in 1933-34 was slightly shorter and requires the use of the 1932 water pump, timing cover and crank pulley to be the correct length for installation in a Model A. The 1933-34 engines all had counterweighted crank shafts. Most 1932 Model B engines did not have counterweighted crankshafts although the late ones did. The engines were rated at 50 hp versus 40 hp for the Model A. The crank bearings were larger but the top of the block was thinner and more likely to crack. Both engines were the same displacement and any speed equipment could be added to either engine and get the same effect. You could add to a Model A engine a high performance cam, a counterbalanced crank, a Model B carburetor and a high compression head and have the same performance as a Model B (or better depending upon what you added).

Charlie Stephens
So then what is the model "C" then? Because I have heard people(probably just know it all's) refer to it here and there.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
midgetracer

Some people called the counterweighted crank from 33-34 the C engine. Others called the B a C engine because it had a C on the head. This was really due to the fact that the Model A engine had two head possibilities... The stock A head and one with a large B cast on the top which was a higher compression head for mountain use or some say as a police head.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
midgetracer

I guess I really did not answer the question. Ther is no such thing as a C motor, at least from Ford's world.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I guess I really did not answer the question. Ther is no such thing as a C motor, at least from Ford's world.
You still haven't answered the question but you are getting closer. The Model C was the vehicle/engine that Ford built in 1903.

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage View Post
So then what is the model "C" then? Because I have heard people(probably just know it all's) refer to it here and there.
Ghost,

My guess is that the reference to the engine as a Model C comes from the fact that Ford numbered his vehicles alphabetically starting with A in his early production. When he got to T it was really a hit and he kept that model designation for years. When the introduced the Model A in 1928 (late '27) he probably started over to show it was an all-new beginning. He followed with the Model B in 1932. It would have been logical for Ford to follow with a Model C in 1933 but Ford chose not to do that. I assume the people didn't pay attention to what Ford called them and just referred to them as Model C's. To add to the confusion the Model B in 1932 had a large C on the head (Ford had used the letter B on the high compression Model A head). The main place you hear the reference to Model C is the engines because most people thought that the 1933-34 engines with counterweighted crankshafts should be called Model C's (the change to the counterweighted crankshaft actually occurred in late '32).

Charlie Stephens
Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Bob C

Vince's site has the story of the Model C myth.
LINK http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/modelcmyth.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Cape Codder

Thanks for all the responses. I now have some knowledge of the "B" motor.
Thanks again.
Joe Grobleski
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
ctlikon0712

I read somewhere that there was a C engine classification used on the smaller four cylinder engines used in Britain in 32-34.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
Ghost of elmirage

Quote:
Ghost,

My guess is that the reference to the engine as a Model C comes from the fact that Ford numbered his vehicles alphabetically starting with A in his early production. When he got to T it was really a hit and he kept that model designation for years. When the introduced the Model A in 1928 (late '27) he probably started over to show it was an all-new beginning. He followed with the Model B in 1932. It would have been logical for Ford to follow with a Model C in 1933 but Ford chose not to do that. I assume the people didn't pay attention to what Ford called them and just referred to them as Model C's. To add to the confusion the Model B in 1932 had a large C on the head (Ford had used the letter B on the high compression Model A head). The main place you hear the reference to Model C is the engines because most people thought that the 1933-34 engines with counterweighted crankshafts should be called Model C's (the change to the counterweighted crankshaft actually occurred in late '32).

Charlie Stephens
Always love to learn about old Fords CS
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
Jerry Parr WI

And Ford continued to build them for many years. I have one with castings dated Dec 39. I assume not assembled until early 40.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Duffy1

I have a diamond "b" engine that was made in 1938
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
CHuDWah

Quote:
The Model C was the vehicle/engine that Ford built in 1903.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage View Post
Always love to learn about old Fords CS

Interesting brief history (with pix) of pre-T models:

http://www.ritzsite.nl/FORD_1/01_eford.htm
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
verdirick

Smile Re: Model B '34 Motor?

Don't forget that the bearings are larger diameter in the Model B engine, 1&7/8" on the rods and 2" on the mains. Design also gives full oil pressure on the mains. Also of interest there are Russian engines out there that were built into the 50's and the Kobe German engine that was built at the Werke Ford factory in Germany through the 40's and 50's. They were used in colombines for International Harvester. Saw one of these in New Zealand ( do a google search, quite an education).
verdirick is offline   Reply With Quote