Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
G&N Farms

Default Battery cut-off

I've had the battery go dead a few times overnight. After reading a lot of post, it might be the cutout on the generator. Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, I am going to put a battery disconnect of some kind.

Should I put it in-between starter and battery at the starter or is there somewhere else that would work better? I don't know if I want a big-ol switch hanging off the starter. Just asking.

Thanks.
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:04 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Battery cut-off

This kit has a mount that bolts onto the starter motor,

Mikes Afordable M14300DK

Old 11-26-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&N Farms View Post
I've had the battery go dead a few times overnight. After reading a lot of post, it might be the cutout on the generator. Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, I am going to put a battery disconnect of some kind.

Should I put it in-between starter and battery at the starter or is there somewhere else that would work better? I don't know if I want a big-ol switch hanging off the starter. Just asking.

Thanks.
Put it in the ground cable,when the switch is off nothing will be hot.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:10 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Put it in the ground cable,when the switch is off nothing will be hot.
Bill
How do you figure? If either wire on the battery has the switch nothing is hot.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
DougVieyra

I have two Ford Model A's. On one, my 1928 Phaeton, using the kit described by Mike V. Florida (post #2) I installed below the starter. On the other Model A, a 1931 Dlx Coupe, I cut a hole in the metal seat riser and installed the switch under the seat, with the handle protruding on the outside of the riser, with easy reach to turn on/off.

Each location has it's pluses and it's minuses, for various reasons.

The 'under the starter' using the mounting kit from a Model A Parts supplier, was an easy and quick install. After sanding all metal parts, I sprayed everything with a flat black paint. The unit is not noticeable and is a quite natural part of the engine compartment.
The 'under the seat' installation, while even more un-noticeable, was a REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT to install and took quiet a lot of time and effort. I would never do this location again !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:31 AM   #6
bbrocksr

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
How do you figure? If either wire on the battery has the switch nothing is hot.
If you put the switch in the hot cable the hot battery post and the cable to the switch will still be hot when the switch is off because they are before the switch. Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:44 AM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Under "Search", lots of Model A battery switch different opinions, ideas and concerns:

1. On where to locate Model A battery switches with photos of installations; and/or,

2. Different opinions on types of switches to install like heaving duty marine types; some keyed with a removable key for more security; some hidden under floor mats; etc., etc.; and/or,

3. Some even prefer "never" installing Model A battery switches.

Like anything else with so many varying Model A suggestions, in the end, everybody just does what they want to do regardless of what others prefer.

Glad you asked. A little Model A research always helps to allow one to form one's own opinion.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 11-26-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I'd install the master switch on the ground side of the battery. If you use a wrench to disconnect either battery cable and happen to touch the frame, no spark will fly.

With the switch on the starter cable, using a wrench on the negative post or master switch can cause sparks to fly if the wrench touches ground. Sparks around batteries can cause the battery to explode.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Patrick L.

I prefer to mount the switch in the cab, I find it a PITA to open the hood to reach that switch.

G&N, are you looking at the ammeter for a discharge after shut down ? A master disconnect is nice, but, I'd recommend finding the draw and fixing it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
2manycars

I chose to just disconnect the wire from the starter to the terminal box. This does not disconnect the starter, but it does disconnect everything else, including lights, horn, ignition, and generator. I mount the switch and an inline fuse on the back of the firewall by the terminal box screws. It can be reached from the driver's seat, and the fuse is out of sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuseswitch09.jpg (62.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg fuseswitch08.jpg (46.3 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg fuseswitch07.jpg (49.7 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg fuseswitch02.jpg (42.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg fuseswitch06.jpg (59.3 KB, 193 views)
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
Ed Saniewski

All my car's have the master switch described above. I leave the hood open after shutting off the switch and that way I can tell at a glance that all are shut off.When I go for a drive, I remember to check the oil when I turn the battery on.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Afordman31

On the speedster I am building I can reach under the frame to reach the switch as the car is fenderless. Also can see the switch thru the louvres.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
George Miller

on my sport coupe there was a hole in the center cross member, just in front of the seat. So I only have to reach down to turn it on.

On my Model A pickup I mounted it to the frame and cut a hole in the floor board, with a cover that turns over the hole. I also do not want to lift the hood every time I drive my cars. Which is often.

I never want to put one on until the Alternator shorted out on my speedster. Good thing I was right there or I would have lost my garage and every thing in it. That includes 6 cars.

I also use the ground side.

Last edited by George Miller; 11-26-2015 at 11:08 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
denis4x4

Over the years, I've replaced three of these cheaply units with ones from SoCal Speed Shop. They have metal keys and cost three times the price of a plastic one. I always install it on the ground side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.7 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by denis4x4; 11-26-2015 at 11:50 AM.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Jim Brierley

On the ground cable and where it is reachable from the driver's seat.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

My battery cut-off is all non-ferrous metal, advertised as marine quality, with a keyed switch, (w/removable key); installed as recommended by the manufacturer for maximum safety, i.e., to disconnect the battery ground cable; located on the driver's side, within the existing hole in the in Model A frame's cross member in front of the seat, with an upper round hole provided through the floor board, hidden under the floor mat, with said hole covered with the top of a tin can provided with a single screw to allow the top of tin can to slide open sideways for easy access, and to close to keep out dirt and debris.

Used it often only once to totally rewire the car.

One caution is, if disconnect is in "OFF" position, and is not connected to ground side of battery, one can be servicing the battery under the floor board, possibly hit both terminals with a wrench, ignite the hydrogen fumes exiting the battery, have the battery explode in one's face ..... after witnessing this episode once happening to another guy ....... I was convinced that flying battery acid is dangerous.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
Big hammer

I use the least expensive disconnect, no mat,carpet,cover yet.
I leave +ground terminal a little loose and twist it off/on battery post @ lease the connection stays clean :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
1955cj5

Mine is in the battery-to-frame cable.

Positive battery lug to switch, switch to starter mount bolt.

Just check the oil and turn on the switch and you are off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080361.JPG (162.3 KB, 336 views)
Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW:

My battery cut-off is all non-ferrous metal, advertised as marine quality, with a keyed switch, (w/removable key); installed as recommended by the manufacturer for maximum safety, i.e., to disconnect the battery ground cable; located on the driver's side, within the existing hole in the in Model A frame's cross member in front of the seat, with an upper round hole provided through the floor board, hidden under the floor mat, with said hole covered with the top of a tin can provided with a single screw to allow the top of tin can to slide open sideways for easy access, and to close to keep out dirt and debris.

Used it often only once to totally rewire the car.

One caution is, if disconnect is in "OFF" position, and is not connected to ground side of battery, one can be servicing the battery under the floor board, possibly hit both terminals with a wrench, ignite the hydrogen fumes exiting the battery, have the battery explode in one's face ..... after witnessing this episode once happening to another guy ....... I was convinced that flying battery acid is dangerous.
I had one blow in my face when I worked in my Dads garage. It was not a fun experience. Lucky I was real close to a water faucet. Washed it off so not much damage. We also had one blow on the charger from a welding spark. Battery's are very dangerous.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&N Farms View Post

Thanks.
When I shut my truck down I make sure the amperage needle goes to zero. If it doesn't I give the starter a bump with the key off and then cycle the key to make sure it goes to zero.

Why not try to find the source of your draw? One simple way to do this is to remove the battery ground cable and place a simple test light between the battery post and cable. If the test light comes on you have a draw someplace. Start disconnecting different circuits such as lights etc... until the light goes out. As soon as the light goes out you know what circuit has the draw in it and you can chase it down from there.

If you do decide to go with a disconnect my advice would be to stay away from the one with the green knob that attaches directly to the battery post. I had one on my truck and it gave me problems and I've heard others have had issues with them too. I no longer use a cut off switch.