Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default 1935 Ford Standard Model Roadster

Saw this picture posted on Facebook. I did not realize that a '35 Ford standard model roadster ever existed. At least I think that's what these are. Painted grille and windshield frame, one horn and LHD. Anyone know where this picture may have been taken?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 12112022_1125686234110551_6453616122927811823_n.jpeg (39.4 KB, 657 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 11-07-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: change title & posted info from cabriolet to roadster :)
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: 1935 Ford Standard Model Cabriolet

John, Probably a "fleet" of police cars or some other official cars special ordered. Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
John, Probably a "fleet" of police cars or some other official cars special ordered. Pat
It does appear that there is some "writing" or a logo of sorts visible on the doors of the two closest cars. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Don Rogers

John, On close examination, the cars appear to be roadsters, a favorite of many Police departments. This photo was taken in Philadelphia in June of 1935. It was not uncommon for Ford to modify cars for police departments or other "fleet" buyers. Here is the cover for a 35 brochure devoted to Law Enforcement.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg police.jpg (40.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Img055 small.jpg (50.2 KB, 42 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Steve/IL

The windshield posts look too narrow to be Cabriolets? Probably Roadsters with painted stanchions.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
2935ford

Roadsters.....Cabriolets, I all of them!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Yes, roadsters they are, at least those first four or five in line in both rows. There are also some further back that appear to have chrome grilles. I can see what looks to be several American Flags on the front left side of picture, but those buildings in the rear skyline did not look familiar to me. I guess I may need to spend more time in Philadelphia , which is only ~ 40-50 miles NE of where I live.
I would think those standard model roadsters came off the Ford assembly line, on special order, just as they appear, rather than to have been modified like that later, but who really knows. I have pictures taken at the '10 & '15 EFV-8 C/A ENM's, in Charlotte/Concord, of a NC '35 Roadster Police Car owned by their local Museum of Transportation. Can't remember if that was a standard or deluxe but will check.

I would love to own one of those standand model '35 roadsters today in that new like condition

A deluxe it is....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150611_111451_640-2.jpg (64.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150611_111511_334.jpg (64.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150611_111608_514.jpg (63.7 KB, 62 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 11-07-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
37 Coupe

Interesting to me also John is the background,spent some time in Philly Naval shipyard and nothing in picture looks familiar. Since it is by far one of our oldest cities in the United States a lot of what you see in 1935 picture could be well over a 100 years old and today made way for something else.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Yes, roadsters they are, at least those first five or six in line in both rows. There are also some further back that appear to have chrome grilles. I can see what looks to be several American Flags on the front left side of picture, but those buildings in the rear skyline did not look familiar to me. I guess I may need to spend more time in Philadelphia , which is only ~ 40-50 miles NE of where I live.
I would think those standard model roadsters came off the Ford assembly line, on special order, just as they appear, rather than to have been modified like that later, but who really knows. I have pictures taken at the '10 & '15 EFV-8 C/A ENM's, in Charlotte/Concord, of a NC '35 Roadster Police Car owned by their local Museum of Transportation. Can't remember if that was a standard or deluxe but will check.

I would love to own one of those standand model '35 roadsters today in that new like condition

A deluxe it is....
I'm guessing the trunk model roadster would be a rare option also.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
mercman from oz

Default Re: 1935 Ford Standard Model Roadster

In Australia, the 1935 Ford Roadsters were offered in both Deluxe and Standard models. It is believed that the Business Roadsters, as mentioned in the Text of the original Sales Brochure had regular Trunks, rather than the Rumble Seat. The Text calls the Rumble Seat "Dicky Seats". Notice the different Roof Line on the Australian models. That is because there was more room in the cabin area on the Australian models.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
SUHRsc

Wow, If I'd have known there was that many of them possibly in Philadelphia somewhere.... I would have looked harder!

Nice to see at least one existed with a trunk originally.

Mine appears to have the tab inside the quarter for the trunk support but no signs of ever having anywhere to mount hinges at the top.
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #12
Zimmco

The picture was taken on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia, with City Hall in the upper right with the top (and William Penn's statute) cut off in the picture. The domed Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul that the Pope just visited is on the left, and the fountain on Logan Square is in the middle of the street almost in front of it. It looks like they were headed for the Art Museum. What a sight!
Zimmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmco View Post
The picture was taken on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia, with City Hall in the upper right with the top (and William Penn's statute) cut off in the picture. The domed Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul that the Pope just visited is on the left, and the fountain on Logan Square is in the middle of the street almost in front of it. It looks like they were headed for the Art Museum. What a sight!
What is the structure to the left that looks like the Parthenon or an aqueduct? Is it still standing?
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
What is the structure to the left that looks like the Parthenon or an aqueduct? Is it still standing?
I believe that is the Library. It is still there. Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Thanks for everyone's responses on this post. All good information. It would be neat if I, or someone in Philadelphia, could/would take a picture from that same location today, and post it here for a comparison of that skyline.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #16
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses on this post. All good information. It would be neat if I, or someone in Philadelphia, could/would take a picture from that same location today, and post it here for a comparison of that skyline.
JM, You're only about 50 miles away, and it's going to be a nice day today, so take your challenge. This section of PHL is nice to walk around. Be sure to go to Pats Steak's or Geno's Steaks for lunch down in South Philly. Ken

PS Thanks for posting that picture, it is a great look back...
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote