Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2024, 08:59 PM   #1
GoJoMoJo

Default 1957 Courier only right side headlight/running lights/plate light working

Hi All,

I just picked up 1957 Ford Courier last week that only the right side lights are working. Left side is completely inop. Just wondering if anyone has some ideas of where to start. Is the headlight switch split left/right? I’m suspecting perhaps the wiring junction box on the forward drivers side fender well. The dimmer switch only works half the time but I’m not sure if any running lights are wired through that switch. When the dimmer starts acting up the passenger side running lights still work.

Any help would be appreciated before I gone down the wrong rabbit hole. Thanks

-Andy
GoJoMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:35 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: 1957 Courier only right side headlight/running lights/plate light working

Only on the front lights? Or are the rear lights right side only too?

If the junction block on the 57 is similarly to the 55’s (picture looks pretty much the same) its power in from the sw harness. Hi/lo/ park and turn. Then a short harness thru the fender to the left lights, and a long one across to the right. Sounds like you’ve got power that far. And power across the junction to the right side. A picture would help. You got a test light or a VOM?

Only the headlight power goes to the dimmer. It switches between the low beam wire and the high beam wire. Not unknown for those to get flaky from dirt and moisture over the years.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:40 PM   #3
GoJoMoJo

Default Re: 1957 Courier only right side headlight/running lights/plate light working

Passenger side running lights front/rear, headlight and license plate light are all working normally. Only the drivers side is inop.

Both left and right blinkers work front and rear.

Thanks for the help.

-Andy
Old 03-16-2024, 09:52 PM   #4
GoJoMoJo

I have power at the junction box on the drivers fender well going to both headlights. I’m still trying to decider the wiring diagram to tell me what color the running lights wire is. What are the chances all the driver side lights are burned out? Probably slim I think so maybe a ground issue
Old 03-16-2024, 10:31 PM   #5
GoJoMoJo

The headlight was burned out. So the issue now is just the running lights on drivers side Are not working. I checked the bulb for the running light and it’s good.

The junction box does not have power to the running lights but the turn signal does work. Must be somewhere under the dash or a ground.

Last edited by GoJoMoJo; 03-16-2024 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-16-2024, 10:43 PM   #6
miker98038

If the “blinkers” or turn signals work front and rear they’ve got a ground. In the back, the filament for the turn signal is the brake light also. Do either or both brake lights work in the back?

I’d start by pulling and cleaning the bullet connectors on the left front fender to the left front harness, including the grounds. But if there’s power out to the headlight, then connectors to the sealed beam or the burned out is a possible. But I’ve not seen a lot of burned out high beams. Double check that ground.

A little wire brush works on the male end. A small roll of fine sandpaper or a .17 cal rifle brush on the female ends in the juncture block. It really doesn’t take much corrosion to stop 12 volts.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote