Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2024, 10:19 AM   #1
rwilly

Default Trans cooler lines 67 Galaxie

Hello all,
I’m looking for replacement trans cooler lines for my 67 Galaxie with a 390 in it.
Every site I look at shows the lines running to a cooler that runs vertically along the radiator. I got a set from Mac and they are for a vertical radiator.. Every rad I’ve dealt with from this vintage Ford has the trans cooler running horizontal along the bottom of the rad.

I google replacement rad, and the cooler is along the bottom of the rad.

What gives??

Thanks
rwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Default Re: Trans cooler lines 67 Galaxie

You are using the wrong vendor -

CHECK THIS OUT - https://www.inlinetube.com/

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 02:04 PM   #3
miker98038

Here’s a link to a discussion on Mac’s and the various changes. Not the first post regarding “problems”. Not an uncommon occurrence with family owned firms. Even profitable ones go down this tube for non related reasons.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...Floridacompany.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 03:50 PM   #4
rwilly

I have Google the part many times. Ive talked to customer service, etc. For some reason all the lines I see are for a radiator with vertical trans coolers. My lines connect to the bottom of the radiator, just like all the other 60s Ford trucks/cars I’ve dealt with.
I contacted customer support at Ecklers and the rep said there is a “manufacturing problem”. I think that is their go-to response to solve the issue.
I’ll see if the truck lines will hook up on my car.

Thanks for your replies
rwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 04:02 PM   #5
Gene F

I have a streetod and the guy before me added a trans cooler to the heat line of the trans before the fluid went into the radiator. That meant that the radiator reheated the fluid above the additional cooling temp. Total waste of time. I KID YOU NOT!!!!!!

The stories I could tell about people tinkering with hotrods...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:08 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Cool Re: Trans cooler lines 67 Galaxie

Quote:
I have a streetod and the guy before me added a trans cooler to the heat line of the trans before the fluid went into the radiator. That meant that the radiator reheated the fluid above the additional cooling temp. Total waste of time.
Well ... (here I go again) ...

That is the correct routing. The auxiliary cooler brings any fluid overheating down. The rad cooler brings it back to operating temperature. A certain fluid temp must be maintained for the trans to operate correctly and live. Same as oil temp in the engine. We know what engine oil does in a continuously cold engine. The AT is the same.

... now where did I put my bucket and poncho?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 03-09-2024, 09:42 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Trans cooler lines 67 Galaxie

And while I am in my 'RETAINING WATER MODE' ...

It is a good idea to place an inline filter before any cooler (incl OEM) as the friction materials and fine metallic particles leaving the trans will plug a cooler over time leading to poor fluid pressure.

The TRANS FILTER only filters return fluid.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-10-2024, 08:22 AM   #8
Ford blue blood

I have to wounder, if having the external cooler in the "hot" line is bad why is every external cooler from the factory installed like that! Yes, the radiator cools and heats, probably more importantly is the heating aspect. Heat gets rid of moisture, moisture is the enemy of refined petroleum products and the material automatic transmission clutches are made of! Our short trip diving is the main cause of "short" life expectancy for many components in our automobiles. Modern lubes have helped but moisture is still #1.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:15 AM   #9
5851a

They probably combined Mercury thinking it was the same as Ford during same years. I believe Mercury's of 67 used cross flow radiators. My transmission guy told me they had a problem with the Aerostars and Crown Vic's with AOD and extra cooling packages in sub zero weather. They never got warm enough on the highway in OD and failed to lube some of the bearings. My newer truck has a thermostat on transmission cooler, unless towing RV it doesn't warm up enough to open cooler.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:57 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Lightbulb Re: Trans cooler lines 67 Galaxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

The TRANS FILTER only filters return fluid.
PLEASE allow me to expound on this ...

The trans filter is only a low restriction filter/screen as it is also a sump pickup, so there-go, will not necessarily filter the fluid as it should be filtered, especially as wear materials accumulate (what is found on a dropped pan).

The addition of an external filter in the pressure (outlet side) will filter out the trash before it enters the cooler(s) and trans. The filter should have some type of by-pass valve so as not to restrict/shut flow off completely if it is plugged from not being not serviced correctly or there is some type of internal failure.

TRANS FLUID (?) temperature should range from 175-200 degrees.

- WHY IS IT ... -