Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
cooke

Default exhaust

I was looking at MACs catalogue for a new exhaust for the A and found a couple versions. Has anyone tried the improved (I guess) version, it cost more but the flow is better, so they say. They also have one that supposedly works better with the HC head but is a bit louder. If any one has experience with any of theses please let me know what you think. Thanks
cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Retro Jim

Default Re: exhaust

Since the exhaust for an "A" is pretty much as simple as it can get , have you just considered having a muffler shop bend a tube for you ? That way you can get a diameter that might work better for your engine than the stock size .
I have bought pipes that are suppose to be correct and they weren't even close sometimes . I am NOT saying I bought them from MACS , but I have bought pipes from places that were suppose to be the same as stock and I have to do some bending to make them fit correctly .
I have gotten to the point of making the exhaust myself ! That way I can have the exhaust that fits the best for my application then weld the pieces for a nice , strong fit that doesn't leak . I buy "U" and straight pieces and make the exhaust myself .
If you have someone with a Mandrell bender then pay the price and have them make it for you . That is the best way to get exhaust made unless you cut and weld the pieces yourself .

Just a thought .

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
steve s

Don't know which ones you're considering but here's a picture that some good citizen posted some time ago that may be helpful.

I've seen dynamometer data showing a small horsepower increase with the Aries muffler.

I've been pleased with my Aries muffler. I decided against the stainless version because the metallic shine just looked too out of place, even by my liberal standards. One of the first things you might appreciate is how well the Aries flange mates with the exhaust manifold--assuming that the latter has not been too warped and sagged by overheating.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Dave in MN

The way I read their catalog...The mufflers noted to be for high compression heads are meant for engines putting out 80+ HP. I think you would be well served with the 100% Original Tapered-style Mufflers. Black or stainless. I purchased a stainless and glass bead blasted it to remove the bright finish. With road dirt and heat it now looks like a fresh unpainted steel muffler.
I also have the HP muffler on an experimental engine I am working on and hope to work up to the 80 HP with continued modifications. I did not notice any performance improvement when I switched to the HP muffler. It was a seat of the pants judgement of performance improvement as I did not dyno at the time of change out.
Good luck with your project.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Don't know where you are located, but I purchased 2 Aries type mufflers from Sacramental Ford in CA. The both have worked well-fit to start with and seem to perform the way they should.

BTW I have a used Aries type that I got with an engine I purchased. It is in very good shape and it came off of an operating Model A. Depending on where you are from (I am in Oregon) and if you are close I could get it to you. If you are interested, PM me.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote