Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
ivoryjohn

Default Whats guy to Do!

Recently I asked what a guy is supposed to do when he feels the has gotten way less than he paid for in quality and service having a Model A engine rebuilt. That is the question I want answered.

Last fall I needed an engine and bought, sight unseen, a rebuilt one that was coming from a re-builder. Within 700 miles it was raining oil out the rear main. Every remedy was tried to slow the flow or understand why it was leaking so badly. The engine was pulled and it was discovered the the engine had a "old style rope rear main seal" and the slinger had been partially turned off to accommodate the modification. We had the rest of the slinger turned off and a cork main seal was installed but the bearings were not getting oil properly and the rear main started to melt. That was when the poor quality of the original pour came to light.

In my most recent phone call the builder said, "Whoa whoa whoa...I have never in my life installed a rope rear main seal in a Model A engine or modified a crank for one!" After much discussion and my suggesting I must be crazy because I certainly have one in this engine I got back from him he stated lamely that perhaps I got a engine sent from someone else and not the engine I sent. He said he did too many engines for the customer to expect to get back the same one.

Question: Did he in fact install a rope rear main seal and modify a crank IN THIS LIFE after all?

He did say that he would re-pour the main bearings in my engine for free if I would send it to him. The freight is nearly $400 there and back and I was not satisfied with his work the first time. Why would I send it back to him?

There is also the fact that he does not put oil grooves in either the caps or the block babbits. He claims they are not needed, that neither his grandfather nor his father put them in and he had had many discussions on whether they were needed at nation Model A meets and it was decided they were not needed. Decided by whom?

When I asked how the parts were supposed to get oil he mentioned chamforing (sp) the edges of the cap and block. "Besides...if you put the grooves in after they are poured 90% of the grooves are lost when the engine is line bored!" Give me a break? If you are wondering why I felt he was talking down to me that is the statement that did it.

Question: Does anyone out there DEFEND THE THEORY that oil grooves are not needed in Model A engines and did Henry use them? Does anyone cut the grooves in before they line bore?

Pick a question and answer it if you please. No I won't say who the builder is in an open forum and will only give my own opinion of who I would not use again if asked in a private message.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote