Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default Mystery Ford Hubcap

Can anyone help me correctly identify this mystery Ford Motor Company Hubcap that I have in my collection? I believe that it is a genuine Ford Hubcap, as the retaining clips are definitely not aftermarket style, but I have never seen another one & can't find any References to it in any book?
It is a 14" Full Wheel Cover, similar in Design to the much more elaborate and more expensive 15" 72-76 Ford Thunderbird Full Wheel Cover.
In Australia, Ford Australia used these imported Thunderbird Hubcaps, but substituted the Plastic Center with one showing an "L" for LTD for their local Australian Ford LTD.
For comparison, I have pictured both Hubcaps together.
Can anyone help me identify this smaller 14" Hubcap?Valid file extensions:
RIMG0405.jpg (83.8 KB)
RIMG0406.jpg (83.4 KB)
RIMG0408.jpg (81.2 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0405.jpg (83.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0406.jpg (83.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0408.jpg (81.2 KB, 103 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
smtichy

Default Re: Mystery Ford Hubcap

Hi Mercman,
I'm by no means an expert, and not familiar with Australian specific models ... but because it has the full label "Ford Motor Company" on it my first thought is that it is from a truck, van, or police car. Also I think I've seen that wide flat crest more often on trucks from 60's - 70's. Here's a link with similar shield.

http://www.midwestwheelcover.com/703hubcap.aspx

Good luck!

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů

Last edited by smtichy; 01-08-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added link to image
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
frank long island

I think I had something like that on my 4dr maverick from the mid 70's I do not remember the model but it had wide side moldings bucket seats and covered top real nice car I think it was a 77
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Paul H

That is from an early to mid -70s full size LTD or Galaxie.They were used on several different years and some had a plastic center emblem and some had a stamped emblem.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
mercman from oz

Default Mystery Ford Hubcap ?

I am still no closer to finding out what this 14" Wheel Cover is off.
As far as I know, all Ford Galaxie & LTD models of the 1970's came with 15" wheels. This Wheel Cover is only 14" ?
Can anyone solve this problem for me?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
darrell

all big fords full size that is used 15 wheels from 65 to at least 78.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
mercman from oz

Thanks smtichy, I checked out the Wheel Covers at Midwest, but they have nothing like this one. I am still wanting to know what it is off? Any more leads?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
raceron1120

I'm thinking they might be Australian or non CONUS-only, as I don't remember seeing any exactly like those 2 covers during my years selling Ford parts. Only ones similar that I remember are for the 1st sample. They were 14", part # D2OZ1130A and were used on Torinos & maybe Montegos. Another one I remember that is also similar is the one used on Galaxies & LTDs, and later on pickups. First # was D1AZ1130J (has a plastic center), I think the replacement for them was the D2AZ-A (stamped center, not a separate piece), but they are 15" covers.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
mercman from oz

This 14" Hubcap was found in the USA by my brother & brought back here for my collection. It is definitely not an Australian Hubcap. Regards the 15" comparison Hubcap, as mentioned, Ford Australia removed the Plastic Center that was engraved Thunderbird & added their own Plastic Center with an engraved "L".
The L stood for LTD on the 4 door sedans, & Landau on the 2 door Hardtops.Thanks for your input. I will just have to keep trying. Someone out there knows what it is, I just have to locate him?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
raceron1120

hmmm.... well I'm stumped for now too. I think I still have my old parts books from years ago, if I can find them I will see if there is a listing for either of them. I think the books have illustrations of each cover by year and application. Will post here if I find anything else.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
fordy_nine

I agree with frank long island, it's from a late Seventies Maverick (probably); if not, then a Torino of similar vintage...........Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_nine View Post
I agree with frank long island, it's from a late Seventies Maverick (probably); if not, then a Torino of similar vintage...........Bob L
================================================== =

smtichy already posted a link to a similar Maverick and Torino wheelcover,
but that is not the correct one.

Here is a listing for wheelcovers for most Ford products of the '60-'70-'80
click on the link below to see them all.

http://www.hubcaps.org/ford.html?gcl...FdE-MgodQQMALg

Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
raceron1120

y'know, I'm thinking possible aftermarket. I've been looking and can't seem to find an exact match - yet.

But back in those days we used to have 'light bulb salesmen' with all kinds of knockoff stuff, often selling outta their car trunks or back of a pickup (no kidding!), and some dealers would snap it up for the creampuffs on their used car lots.

Just sayin'. I'm gonna keep looking though.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
mercman from oz

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. I know that there were a lot of Aftermarket Hubcaps released in the USA, but none would have been allowed to spell out Ford Motor Company. I also know that company's like J.C.Whittney put out a lot of "copy hubcaps", but none had the equivalent wording or Badges of the Originals. I also know that these Aftermarket Hubcaps had inferior Retaining Clips. This Hubcaps looks every bit like an original FoMoCo Hubcap, except for what? Remember that it is only 14".
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
mercman from oz

I have just reviewed the Hubcaps on the Link that Lanny provided, but it did not appear on any of their Illustrations. The mystery continues?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Lanny

hi mercman, one Ford vehicle that I didn't see in there, is the '77-'79 LTD II that I
think had 14" wheels, but I searched for LTD II pictures on the net, and didn't see
anything that looked like the wheelcover you need.
Maybe yours is a Canadian cover ? good luck in your search.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #17
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
...a lot of Aftermarket Hubcaps released in the USA, but none would have been allowed to spell out Ford Motor Company. ....
BUT - although illegal, it's been done. - gees, first time that's happened, eh? Just cuz the shouldn't doesn't mean they don't.

First off - I'm not implying that yours aren't OEM pieces, they may be just rarely used or obscure OEM covers, or as suggested above - Canadian. A great scavenger hunt!

I've seen knockoff parts in authentic-looking packing that are hard to detect especially at point of sale. And I'm not talking about those brands marked Motorcar, Autocraft, Fomco... but instead with authentic looking and spelled logos, markings, etc.

Cheap junk (floor mats, brake pads, hubcaps/wheelcovers, chemicals & fluids etc.) that were illegally identified with copyrighted logos did exist. While not as common as other knockoffs, some illegally marked items were often peddled by fly-by-night salespersons in the Detroit metro area where I worked in a Ford dealership parts department 40-some years ago.

We'd get salespeople at the dealership each week, often with the deal of the century, and never to be seen again. Offers of free TVs, shotguns, etc. shipped to our home if we bought from them was not uncommon. It's why we usually referred to them as "light bulb salesmen" as none of them seemed too bright.

I never bought from those scammer with such offers. But I know some folks who did, and regretted it. Most of it was pure junk. I used to moonlight, inventorying other dealerships in the area and saw a LOT of that s**t sitting right next to the real OEM pieces.

Best case I recollect was in the early 70s when we got a shipment of Motorcraft stuff from the depot. Several weeks later we got a notice from Ford district office to check our stock of V8 point sets, as that there had been an influx of knockoff sets that look identical to OEM parts except for a small identifier stamped on the base. Sure enough we had some of them - and they made it thru the Ford folks! They were foreign-made and intentionally meant to deceive. The boxes were authentic-looking with the Motorcraft logo etc.

I'm gonna keep looking on those covers. I sent notes out to 2 other former Ford Parts managers/friends asking if they can ID them. Will let you know if I hear anything. Meanwhile - good luck!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
mercman from oz

I don't believe that this Hubcap is a "reproduction", as it is full Stainless Steel, plus the Retaining Clips are the same as Ford would use. All of the Reproduction Hubcaps that I have seen as cheap quality that rust easily, & have Retaining Clips like the ones in the attached photo.
This makes me believe that what I have is Genuine Ford, but what off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Repop.jpg (38.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #19
Coupeute

I heard a rumor that Ford was pulling out of Australia, is that true ?
Coupeute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
mercman from oz

Ford is not pulling out of Australia, but are stopping manufacturing in 2016. That means no more new Falcons. A new one is to be released this year, & it will remain in production until 2016. After that, all new Fords will be imported.
The new 2015 Mustang has been promised to replace the Falcon GT. While we have Mustangs here, all new ones must be converted to Right Hand Drive before they are licensed to drive on the road. The 2015 Mustang will be the first Mustang built in both LHD & RHD. The Ford Falcon has been made here since 1960. Until recently, Ford Falcons were the most popular Taxi preferred by all Taxi Companies. Also, the Ford Falcon, along with the Holden Commodore are the most common Police Cars. Ford Australia announced in May 2013 that they were ceasing production in Australia. Then, in the last month, General Motors Holden said that they were ceasing manufacturing one year later in 2017. You are probably aware that the current Chevrolet SS is actually an Australian Holden Commodore. So, after 2017, what are you Americans going to replace the Australian built Chevrolet SS? The joke around here is that they have changed the name of Holden to Folden. The reason behind these closures is because of the high value of the Aussie Dollar, as well as high wages with unreasonable add ons. To sum up, it is just too expensive to manufacture cars in Australia. Toyota will be the last manufacturer in Australia & their future here is not guaranteed.
So to answer your question, Ford will still be here, but all vehicles will be imported, sourced from around the world. Hope that this explains the situation.
While we make fun of Holden, changing it to read Folden, if we changed the "R" to "L" on Ford, it then becomes FOLD, which is what is happening to both Ford & Holden in Australia over the next few years.
All very sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folden.JPG (26.3 KB, 1 views)