Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #781
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Florida is getting a taste of the northern winter weather today with temps in the 50's for a high... That's just too cold to play in the garage... Next weekend is the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance so we'll be taking a ride over to enjoy the show. If you've never been to a Concours event, you're missing something really special as far as antique, classic & special interest automobiles go, I highly recommend it
Hey Vic, I am here in Orlando now with family and we are freezing our buns off What happened to all the nice warm weather you are always talking about We can't wait to get back up nawth where we have our warm clothes

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-03-2013 at 08:36 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #782
Shadetree

JM and Vic,
It has been cold enough here to freeze the balls off a pool table! Day after day my F1 sits with a bed full of new and rebuilt parts (not all Chinese either) and it is just too miserably cold in my shop to work on anything. I don't like hot weather either but at least I can get up early in the summer months and get something accomplished before it gets hot.

Next winter I will have heat...
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #783
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Lawson:

When some said you were a smart A**
I Guess what they really meant was you are a WISE GUY. LOL LOL

I have been called worse things. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #784
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Hey Vic, I am here in Orlando now with family and we are freezing our buns off What happened to all the nice warm weather you are always talking about We can't wait to get back up nawth where we have our warm clothes
John, you must have brought this cold weather down with you... Why don't you take a "day trip" and come over for a visit... I'd love to see you and meet your family.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #785
Vic Piano

Bud, it can't get too hot for me, I love it!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #786
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
We won't be "playing with Flatheads" this weekend as we'll be going to the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. I really enjoy this event and this year I'll be shooting video to include in the pilot TV program we are producing. Are any of you going to attend this event? I hope to see some "Barner's" there. How abut it Hoop... will you be towing Tuckers this year? Hope to see you this weekend.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #787
Vic Piano

We got home from the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance last night. I just finished dumping all the photos I took onto the computer and I'll post some here for your viewing pleasure. I also shot a lot of video to use in the "pilot" TV program we're producing. This event is always exceptional, and this year was even better then last year. This year the restored Edsel Ford '32 Boat tail roadster was on display and I got to interview the owner. Also on display, for the 50th year celebration, were a bunch of Ford GT40's. GM had a display of Corvettes celebrating 60 years of the Marque as well as 50 years of the Stingray. they also had the "new" Stingray on display as well as two '50's vintage GM Autorama concept cars that were found, one has been fully restored while the other was displayed the way it was found. There were all kinds of automotive dignitaries at the event including racing drivers, designers and Edsel Ford. Unfortunately, I did not have an opportunity to interview Edsel at the event. The RM Auction on Saturday was filled with some outstanding automobiles; my favorite was a 1938 Lincoln K Convertible Club Coupe. There are always beautiful cars on the show field on Sunday, too many to list, so I'll just post photos...

Here's Edsel's '32 Boat Tail Roadster:

These are just a few of the photos I took, I'll try to post more later.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #788
Vic Piano

I just went on the RM Auctions web site to see the auction results from Amelia. The 1938 Lincoln K Convertible Victoria by Brunn sold for $176,000.00... Darn, Missed it by that much...!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #789
Henryat1140

Vic,
Just curious about the red/red Lincoln Phaeton (being looked at by two guys in jackets).

It was in the car corral @ Hershey this fall. Really a beautiful restoration, though I understand the later model repro body has kept the price down.

Was that car auctioned off? Do you know what it brought?

Thanks

Henry
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #790
Vic Piano

Hi Henry, the '32 Lincoln Dual Cowl Phaeton did go through the auction however, I'm not sure if it sold. You can check by going to RM Auction web site and look up the Amelia auction. that car was absolutely stunning.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #791
Vic Piano

Here are a few more photos from the Amelia Island event, these are Flatheads!

This is an interior shot of Edsel's '32 Boat Tail Roadster.

and this is a V-12 in a '42 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet.

This '49 Woody sold at the auction for $49,000.00. I posted other photos of it above.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #792
VeryTangled

Dad/Henry, I did not see the Lincoln in the auction results. I did find some photos from Hershey.

I have to drop in a snapshot of one of the auction cars that got my blood pressure up a little.

-VT/Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (53.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (79.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1263_zps292f0bc6.jpg (57.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1264_zps2268a4eb.jpg (76.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1267_zps348e0709.jpg (86.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1262_zps3ccc9475.jpg (73.0 KB, 26 views)
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #793
Vic Piano

I guess that '32 Lincoln did not sell at the auction. It sure was a beautiful automobile, as was the Auburn.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #794
Henryat1140

I _thought_ I saw it in an early version of the catalog, but it was not in the final printed one. Lots of things happen that we are shielded from in the high end of the collector car world. Thank Goodness <grin>

Really that's one reason I like Fords, the people who own them are regular guys. Some of the (ahem) CLASSIC CAR CLUB OWNERS can be a little snooty, at least around here.

Jeff/VeryTangled has a soft spot for Auburn Speedsters.

Regards

Henry
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #795
Vic Piano

Hi Henry, I've found that the "snooty" finds its way into just about every aspect of the hobby. There are a lot of snooty so-called "purest" in the EFV8 Club, more so then I've encountered in any other car clubs, including the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club, Studebaker Drivers Club, Road Race Lincoln Register, and Jaguar Owners Club. No matter what kind of car(s) you have, there is no reason to look down your nose at other enthusiast. That's very shallow in my opinion.

As for Auburn’s, and Boat Tails in particular, I think most everyone likes them.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #796
TomT/Williamsburg

Hey, Henry - stick with us old Ford boys - we wouldn't EVER steer you wrong !!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #797
Henryat1140

<revealing deep dark secret about self>

Well I really do admire the classic cars of the 30's; Packards, Auburns, Pierces, DuPonts, Marmons, Duesenbergs Voisins, Hispano Suiza etc. They represent a high water mark of craftsmanship and design and a lifestyle that has a lot of appeal. Would I like to have one in my lifetime? Yes. Will it ever happen? No.

>>Purists in the EFV8 club; my 2c worth

As to the EFV8 having purists, you have to keep in mind their mission, which is to preserve a segment of automobile history as close to original as possible. I'm for that. Nit-pickingly judging the cars for authenticity is a good thing - though I'd be the first to admit it's a flawed and sometimes unfair process.

But as a club I haven't experienced ill feelings from them about non authentic cars, they like all forms of Early Ford v8's. We enjoy participating in the touring class, which allows modifications like our fender skirts. They even have a display class for street rod type cars as long as it's Ford V8 powered.

I gather somewhere in the past you've had a difference of opinion with them, but we've found the members to be as regular as the kind of guys you find on Fordbarn, and we've had a ton of fun at their meets.

Different strokes . . . . . .
Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #798
Vic Piano

On some points I would agree with you however, I was a member of the EFV8 club for over 30 years and I had the misfortune to meet some of the biggest snobs in the hobby at EFV8 Meets, they were especially nasty if your car wasn’t “as Henry built it”. On the other hand, I've also met some of the nicest people at the same meets. The flawed judging and their arrogance relative to it are the reasons I decided to end my association with the EFV8 Club. I only participated in the Touring Class with my '53 Crestline Sunliner and my '47 Convertible and garnered two first place and one second place awards. Over the years I contributed articles, etc. to the EFV8 TIMES and for ten years I served as the editor of the LIRG Newsletter. The straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, came when a friend of mine entered his ’51 Mercury Woody for a Dearborn. His interior was not correct (as Henry II built it) but that fact was not noted by the Judges… He went home and corrected the items noted on the gig sheet for the next national Meet. When he entered the car for a Dearborn (with all the corrections to the areas indicated) he was told that the interior was not correct. When he showed the judges the gig sheet from the previous year show, they just said that the judge didn’t know what he was looking at… That did it for me… The EFV8 Club lost all credibility as far as I was concerned, add to that the pompous, arrogant, attitude displayed by the judges, along with their admittance that “the judge didn’t know what he was looking at”, I knew at that point that I really didn’t want to have anything to do with this club and their hypocritical positions any more. I’ve always built my cars for me, not for some car club or “Judges” that may or may not know what they are looking at…
Honestly, how can you place any legitimate value on an award given by a club that admits their judging is flawed?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #799
GreenMonster48

Hey Vic,

What size and brand wheels/tires are you running on your F-1? I really like the look.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #800
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
Hey Vic,

What size and brand wheels/tires are you running on your F-1? I really like the look.
Thanks, I appreciate that. The tires are P205/75Rx15 on the front and P235/75Rx15 on the rear. The wheels are KH centers with custom width rims, 6 inch wide in front and 8 inch wide on the rear. I got the wheels from Bob Drake.