Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Lyle

Default T5 transmission speedometer

I am going to have to change the speedometer. Can not use the A model .the T5 is not the cable type. Does the 1993 transmission go through the computer to make the speedometer work. Or is there a way to do this. What do I need?
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: T5 transmission speedometer

Somebody makes an electric speedomter that you hook tight to the electric sender on the late T-5. My friend has one in his 29 roadster with a hot flathead and a T-5. The speedometer can be adjusted easy with a GPS so it'll be right on the button with any rear end an tire size. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
34flathead

my GPS shows my speedo is 6 mph under actual speed.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Vergil

I am using AutoMeter with T5 and electric output, goes straight to speedometer.

Vergil
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Lyle

OK thanks for the come back where can I find the auto meter? 34 flathead I just lucked out on the adapter. I was happy to use the flathead bellhousing. just a slight mod. Drill and tap two places. Thank the Good lord, that frend in Troup, Texas. Gave me some good training on machine work. D.E.W. machine shop. I wonted to learn as a hobby he made time to help me. I hung around his shop for a few years. on my days off.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Vergil

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...word=autometer

I am using the 3 1/8" they have the curved (out) glass face.

Vergil
Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Obviously it is too late now but I believe some t-5's had a mechanical speedo drive and some had the electronic. There may be more info on the H.A.M.B.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
deuce lover

The mechanical speedo drives were changed to electronic in 1989 or 1990.I had the company in Texas change the tailpiece(they modify) to one that accepts the mech speedo on the new tranny I bought from them so I can use the 350 tranny speedo gear setup to make it simple.That Co is selling Brand NEW 1993 T-5's (shifter forward like S10 w/ elec speedo)for $445 on EBAY.Only thing is that tranny uses the Ford case so I had to get an adapter plate from Wilcap to work on the Chevy to flathead adapter that Speedway sells.I've heard that Vern Tardell makes the Ford tranny adapter 's well as (www.macsspeed.com). The tranny the Texans sell has the.071 5th gear .User ID on EBAY is "partswoman".Their shipping was very reasonable.

Last edited by deuce lover; 09-25-2010 at 08:54 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
Flat Ernie

PM a fellow that goes by 'snarl' on the HAMB - he's fluent in the electronic speedo game (I'm not - I avoid them). Certain ones can be adapted to mechanical usage, and others cannot.

And you can find electronic speedos as early as '89, but 89-90/1, you can find both mech and electronic - by '92 they were all electronic (all the S10 ones anyway). I believe, but cannot prove (anecdotal evidence only) that the electronic ones in '89-91 were supplied when you got the digital dash upgrade on the top-of-the-line model...

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
Lyle

I got my T5 from partswoman. It is electronic. And is late model ford bolt pattern
Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
deuce lover

Lyle,Call Speedometer World at 1-888-877-1008.They might have an adapter that could work for you.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
cbillelder

Lyle-
I'm using a Stewart-Warner "Wings" electronic speedometer in my '32 with a flathead and T5 with the electronic sender. My speedometer didn't have any way to change calibration on the back, so I am running it thru an interface module from Dakota Digital Co. The module will allow you to "dial in" your speedometer with just about any sending unit setup. Hope this info helps.
Bill
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Lyle

Thanks. I will call summit racing then speedometer world,and Dakota Digital Co. One at a time. Give me a month or so and if there is a home grown way to do this, that involves spending less money.I am going to find it. I am working on a out of the wrecking yard fuel injection. I have the 2bl for the injectors drafted on the paper. my brother is a master pattern maker.I have the aluminum smelter. This will be for the stock mercury intake 4 bolt. Much later on the fuel injection.On the back burner, (hard) just can't get it off my mind.If I find cheep easy way to speedometer to T5 I will post it for everyone.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
bowtie67

Lyle, Do a search on Google: The T-5 Tranny-The Easy Way
This article shows step by step conversion of a electronic speedometer transmission to a mechanical speedomter. You need to find some parts from a S10 T5 to use in the conversion.
By doing this conversion you can use a cable driven speedomter.
bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Lyle

Hello Bowtie67 The Easy way was to change the back housing to the older model s10 I hope I don't have to do this. I is hard to find a S10 cheep.Thanks for the come back. this does give me food for thought I have the short shaft i am going to look.After work tonight and see if there is a casting spot on the case.If there is I might be able to add a gear drill out and adapt a cable drive Just a thought.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
ajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
I am going to have to change the speedometer. Can not use the A model .the T5 is not the cable type. Does the 1993 transmission go through the computer to make the speedometer work. Or is there a way to do this. What do I need?
Lyle,
One thing we did not discuss is the possibility of putting a mechanical drive unit in your trans.I think I have one in one of my T5's.We will look next time you are over. James
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Lyle

Hello James I just talked to a fellow on another page He said all I need Is A 40 pulse speedometer.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
quickgene

Lyle,
I hope some info I have gathered here on the HAMB and other places to do my swap will help you. If I ripped someones info off sorry. I can't see why they don't cast these tailhousings new. There is a good market for these old s10 housings. I've seen them go for $150 to $300. I looked everywere for 6 months to get mine for $150.

I have seen some 1993 s10 housings that have been converted to the old style 88 and older speedo hole location on ebay. It looks like they cut the old hole portion out and glued in a piece to hold the sender in the proper place. They ask like $150 if I remember right. I wouldn't attempt it but the idea is there for you to do it. Must be a pain trying the get it sitting right though. You would need to borrow a mechanical one for a pattern. I think the new glues are very good but if the glue lets go your speedo just quits no biggie.

the electric ones hole points like this upwards directly at the gear.

The hole for the electric speedo hole goes in at a upward angle directly towards the tailshaft. And on the cable model the hole is horizontal BELOW the shaft line.

I found two tailhousings from an electric speedo optioned 1989 s10s with a part # 1352-066-931. I found two newer electic speedo tailhousings with a casting # 13-52-066-933. I know one was a 1992 s10. Do these #s look like what you have ?

If you look for the one you want sometimes they are bare casting housings. No gear just a empty hole. Then this is what you look for. On the cable model the hole is horizontal below the shaft line.
One tailshaft housing I found from a 1986 s10 t5 had a part # of 1352-066-927. I found another cable drive tailshaft housing from a 1988 s10 on ebay with the same 1352-066-927 number. I don't know if all cable drive s10 housings had the same part number but I think they do. The last 927 part is the key.

The t5 tail housing has a bubble shape bulge on the right side. The 4 speed housing has no bulge, worn't work on t5's.
Also only 2 wheel drive units will work. The 4 wd tail housing looks totaly different and is useless for a hotrod swap in most cases.

It's a lot of work or $ to keep the cable and old skool speedometer. Gene
quickgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
deuce lover

Lyle,Partswoman has the converted tailhousing to use the mech speedo.I had them put it on the tranny I bought from them.Since I got the tranny from them they did not charge me to change it out.Of course I paid them $139 for the tail housing.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
Lyle

Gene and Ducelover thank you for the imformation. The scrap yards around here are empty of T5 stuff.I did lots of looking and phone work. Maby partswoman will part with one.I think I will. Call her. Thanks lyle. Snarl said that the right speedomerer will work with electric output T5. I need to see what AJohn has in His 49 ford.It works .