Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2024, 12:25 AM   #1
Dameon Hubbard

Thumbs up 1937 V860 carb issue (i think)

Hey guys,

Me ...again....

Thanks for everyones help. I'm less than 6 months in and the learning curve has been very steep. So, everything has been replaced or reconditioned and I just sorted the ignition coil issue and been putting some miles on the old girl driving her every day.

Now, she conked out on me yesterday with an almost full tank of gas. Here's the notes:

Got a nice big old spark at the plugs.
Engine start spray down the carb will start the engine then die even though I'm pushing the throttle flat to the floor.
Removing the gas line into the carb and turning the engine over I have gas pouring out the line, so the gas is getting to the carb under pressure (new fuel pump).
Tank was removed and boiled. New lines.
Carb has been reconditioned.
Been running really well 1000+miles to date.
The carb used to flood when turning it over for a while...not now.

Whats not working in this carb?
What do i do from here?

Again, always appreciate your help.

I did overfill the tank last week but don't know that should make any difference.

Dameon in Australia.

Last edited by Dameon Hubbard; 04-29-2024 at 09:55 PM.
Dameon Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:40 PM   #2
Dameon Hubbard

Default Re: 1937 V860 carb issue (i think)

Okay, so since not getting any replies to this post I took the plunge and tried a bit of trial and error and a little bit of common sense.

Removing the top of the carb to expose the bowl I see its dead empty. So I filled it up just over half way and and popped the top back on tightening the screws. Hit the start button and it roars into life but quickly i noticed something lightly splashing from the engine bay to the window screen......hmmmmm... smells like petrol!!!!!

Shut engine down and curse myself fro not re connecting the fuel line to the carb.

Re connect and blow down the engine bay with a leaf blower. Start the car again and soon after it splutters and dies. Remove the top of the carb again and it's almost empty.

Push and prod some stuff and blow through the carb fuel inlet "bearing?". Air gets through but it did feel a little restricted. Anywho, back to poking and prodding stuff cause that fixes things. Fill the bowl again and re test. Runs, splutters dies.

Remove vaccuum hose to wipers......could be that?

Try again, runs, splutters and dies. Pull carb apart again and bowl is empty (no surprise). Push and prod float lightly looking at the mechanism that activates it.....hmmmmmm.

Blow through fuel inlet floaty activaty thing and think, thats pretty restricted (again).

SUCK.....and blow again. Ohhhhhhhhhh. Much more flow......hmmmmmm.

I wonder.

Fill fuel and re assemble. Starts, runs and runs and runs and runs.

Re attached wiper vaccuum.

Smile.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:52 PM   #3
Dameon Hubbard

Oh, one thing i failed to mention.

In Australia we don't have lead in our fuel (banned) and so have a synthetic additive we add at 1ml per litre of gas. My gut feeling is that my adding this to the tank after filling without mixing it first, it may have sunk to the bottom of the tank, been sent through the fuel line and gummed the ball bearing valve before the float.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:41 PM   #4
tubman

I wouldn't suspect the fuel additive as much as the tank itself (and the associated lines). Unless you are absolutely sure the rest of the system is scrupulously clean, there is a very good chance it has contaminants in it. Even if the tank has been cleaned and coated in the past, there is still a good chance that the coating used has deteriorated to the point where it could be causing the problem. A quick journey through this forum will yield many anecdotes where people have removed and cleaned and treated the original tank and still had a problem. Most end up replacing the tank in order to permanently solve the problem.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:40 PM   #5
Dameon Hubbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I wouldn't suspect the fuel additive as much as the tank itself (and the associated lines). Unless you are absolutely sure the rest of the system is scrupulously clean, there is a very good chance it has contaminants in it. Even if the tank has been cleaned and coated in the past, there is still a good chance that the coating used has deteriorated to the point where it could be causing the problem. A quick journey through this forum will yield many anecdotes where people have removed and cleaned and treated the original tank and still had a problem. Most end up replacing the tank in order to permanently solve the problem.
Hey Tubman, the tank was removed, boiled and redcoated less than two years ago and all lines replaced inlcuding a new fuel pump. You right that it could be anything I guess.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:03 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Sounds as if you had a clog in the input valve to the Carb. This usually happens with the input valve with two balls inside. IMO use the original style steel needle style, they do not stick. The two ball valve can accept higher input fuel pressure so checking fuel pressure is a good idea 2 to 2-1/2 maybe slightly higher but not above 3 for the original style needle valve.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:17 PM   #7
Dameon Hubbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Sounds as if you had a clog in the input valve to the Carb. This usually happens with the input valve with two balls inside. IMO use the original style steel needle style, they do not stick. The two ball valve can accept higher input fuel pressure so checking fuel pressure is a good idea 2 to 2-1/2 maybe slightly higher but not above 3 for the original style needle valve.
Thanks Terry, I will definitely keep that in mind so the problem arise again.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:42 AM   #8
ScubaChief60

Float valve? I agree with Terry. I have has this before on a 1969 Opel GT. Also on a 1965 Buick Skylark. Obstruction in the float valve or just plain stuck closed is what i expect will be your issue. Check and/or replace that valve and you'll be rolling again. Be sure to install a fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump to prevent any other particles from stopping up that valve again. That's where I'd go with this this type problem. Take care!
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:52 PM   #9
Dameon Hubbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaChief60 View Post
Float valve? I agree with Terry. I have has this before on a 1969 Opel GT. Also on a 1965 Buick Skylark. Obstruction in the float valve or just plain stuck closed is what i expect will be your issue. Check and/or replace that valve and you'll be rolling again. Be sure to install a fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump to prevent any other particles from stopping up that valve again. That's where I'd go with this this type problem. Take care!
Yeah, Scuba,

I was thinking of popping a fuel filter in there. I have one on my old motorcycle for this exact reason so that makes total sense.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:40 PM   #10
stingywrap

Reconnect, then use a leaf blower to depressurize the engine bay. The automobile splutters and dies shortly after you start it again. Once more, remove the carb's cover to see nearly empty interior.
stingywrap is offline   Reply With Quote