Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
oldmotorsguy

Default Need to find a top for a 1919 Model T Touring

I'm in the final stages of completing the restoration of a 1919 Model T Touring 'mutt:' it has a 1919 frame and engine/tranny, and 1919 cast running board struts, but that's about it for the 1919 part of this car. The sheet metal is 1922, and the windshield frame is the two-piece fold down 1915 type. I have the top irons that fit a 1922 Touring (one-man).

MY QUESTION: what is the best way to order a top from Mac's (or a cheaper alternative of similar quality would be nice) that will fit the one-man irons, and can be adapted to fit the front mount via the windshield 'figure 8' bracket mounted in the middle hinge of the folding windshield? The one-man top comes out of the box with mounting hardware intended on attachment to the top of the windshield frame posts (which are not there on my 'mutt', hence this post).

If someone has done this before, I am all ears, and have no desire to re-invent the wheel.
oldmotorsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
jackdaron

Default Re: Need to find a top for a 1919 Model T Touring

It will greatly solve many problems to just go with a two-man top like it is supposed to have.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
redmodelt

The one man top did not come out till 1923. The one man top it's going to be short in front where it overhangs with that windshield setup. The front bow may sit on top of the windshield frame and would just not look right. If you need to use that top frame I would look for an windshield setup for the 24-25 open cars which will fit your car. You should be ok by ordering the 24-25 top kit then.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
oldmotorsguy

Jack: about how much will it cost me to solve those great many problems by going back to the two-man top? Note: the 1922 body seems to be set up to accommodate only a one-man set of top irons.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Steve Jelf

Before you spend more dough anywhere else, talk to Elizabeth at Classtique. She has a reputation for knowledge and quality work.

http://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
redmodelt

Your body could have been made after Aug of 22 then it would have the one man top. You would still need to change out the windshield to the slant type for everything to line up right. If the car has upholstery in it then it would have to be pulled back at the front seat sides to install the body irons to use the two man top. Is this a high or low radiator body? Can you post photos of the cowl and firewall?

Last edited by redmodelt; 01-20-2013 at 06:21 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
jackdaron

I have a couple sets of two-man bows right now. One is almost all NOS stuff. I can sell you a set or do a trade with you if you would prefer. I also have many body irons if some are missing. I live on NW corner of Indy. Give me a call at 317-679-6624 or email me off line [email protected].
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Willie in Houston

I agree with Steve on his comment on Elizabeth, I just set in on a seminar on upholstery in San Antonio (MTFCI annual business meeting) done by Elizabeth and I was impressed. She seems to know her stuff.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
oldmotorsguy

Thanks for the input, guys, now for the update that changes things.

Oops...bad information from me. I finally got around to opening up my brand new 'one man' top irons and bows (complete 1917 - 1922 Touring kit) from Metal Fab Engineering, only to discover that is indeed the two-man configuration.

Those great many problems are now lessened.

Red: It is freshly upholstered, and does not have the middle irons that I need to install the forward body irons onto the front seat. And where exactly to mount these, don't know exactly, but I have a diagram obtained from the thread link below that indicates that the distance between front and rear body irons is 29 and 11/16 inches. Wonder where I can get some of these irons, or if I have to fabricate them.

It is a low radiator, with newly installed metal firewall. ('Newly' installed by 'Grampa,' who died in the early 1970's and never finished the restoration, it sat in his widow's barn until the early 2000's, sold to the cousin, sat in his barn for years, then subsequently bought by a collector in Minnesota, sat in his barn for another several years, then I bought it, sat in MY barn for a year. I named the car 'Barney' for obvious reasons). As soon as I figure out how to post a photo, I can do that.

I bought my upholstery kit from Elizabeth at Classtique, and the installation was quite a beast. Wondering if she provides any instructions with her top kit.

Jack: no need for two man kit, got one. Sorry for the confusion.

In my research, I came up with a thread from last year that might be helpful, we'll see (http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1313853765)
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
jackdaron

I can probably help with your missing irons. I'll look tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
oldmotorsguy

Jack: found some body irons, will have them in hand tomorrow.