Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
ModelTFan01
Banned

Default First Car

I started a topic on the MTFCA forum's stating that when I get the money (from my website business) I'll get a Model T Ford for my first car. People are saying that it would be better to go with a Model A.

When I get the car, I'll be around 16 years old, old enough to drive a car. So what Model A would be right for me? I'd like to have one that I can drive rain, snow, or sleet. I'd also like to have a starter so I don't have to crank it to start it.

Any help would be appreciated. Currently I'm 13 years old.
ModelTFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: First Car

any 28 thru 31 Model a coupe, 2 or 4 door sedan would be an xlnt choice, even a closed cab p/u, all of these are all weather cars, and the most reasonable, the T's are pretty crude and i wouldnt want to try and drive one every day, stay with the closed cab Model A's
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
BudP

Good for you! And welcome to FordBarn. Seems to me any 28-31 coupe that is driver quality would meet your emerging needs. Join a local Model A club. They will be invaluable in finding the right car, advising/helping on repairs, etc.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
roadster

I think you would do well with
a Model A Coupe, or Model A Tudor Sedan
they all have starters
Good Luck
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
ModelTFan01
Banned

Honestly, I wanted a Model T but some of the guys are on my back (even though they are really nice people) wanting me to buy a real car. I said Model A.

First, I have to make the $20,000 needed to buy the car. As I said, I own a website business that's doing poorly.

If you'd like to help me, here's the link to my business's website: http://www.tinlizzieonline.com/

Remember and keep in mind that the Model A will be my only car. No "modern" car as everything you own doesn't have to be made in China, contain plastic, and/or contain a computer chip.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Steve Wastler

First off welcome to the addictive lifestyle of early Fords. Both the T and A forums are a weath of knowledge shared. I agree, a model A might be a little more user friendly for you. Sort of a hard question, I would say a tudor or fordor would be a good choice. A coupe may not be practicle for you due to one seat unless it has a rumble seat, many find a rumble seat a novelty and not really useful. Some fordors have a lot of wooden structure to the body, may not be the best choice unless the wood has been replaced. A tudor sedan may be a good choice, bucket seats in the front and a bench seat in the rear, plenty of room in the back to carry things, groceries, luggage, etc. I think maybe a 30-31 tudor sedan may be a good fit....

Last edited by Steve Wastler; 06-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
ModelTFan01
Banned

Are 30-31 Tudor Sedan's hard to find?

About How much will a 30-31 Tudor Sedan cost? Because every cent counts. As long as it runs perfectly and it's a Model A I'll be fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
dan

I was in pretty much the same position as you (although at 40, I wasn't saving up for my first car). I wanted a Model T as well. Somewhat like you, I don't have the luxury of owning four or five cars, one of which would be an antique I only drive once a month. I need a modern car to haul around the wife and three kids and which my wife can use to drop off our youngest at school so my "fun" car had to be something I could drive to work every day.

After a good deal of research, talking to guys on the both Model T and Model A forums, I eventually bought a '31 coupe. It has original shocks, steering, and brakes, but is very much drivable in light to moderate traffic. You have to be pretty defensive--leave plenty of space for braking, etc--but it does fine. I don't drive on the freeway, but it handles surface streets at speeds up to 50 mph with little effort. A Model T is a much chancier proposition if you're driving in anything but the lightest traffic at the slowest speeds.

I drive it to work almost every day, usually in said light traffic. While it doesn't have all the safety features of a modern car, if you're a careful driver it is quite reasonable to drive the car in rain... I haven't tried it in snow, since it doesn't snow here, but some guys on the forum do occasionally drive theirs in the white stuff.

The car has been very reliable. It was down twice--once for two weeks to replace the radiator and once for a couple days with an exhaust issue. But for an 80+ year old car, it's done quite well.

I think you should go for it. :-)
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
ModelTFan01
Banned

I think I'm going to go with a '31 Sedan.

However, how much does one cost?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
dan

You should be able to find a "driver" for well under 20k. As with any used car, the exact price will depend on the condition it's in.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
ModelTFan01
Banned

Like I said, the money for the car will all come from my website business, which hasn't even made 1 sale yet, despite all the posters I posted all over town advertising it. So the cheapest running Model A that will work for me (able to drive in rain, snow, and carefully in sleet) and in a good condition will be the one I buy.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Steve Wastler

I would think with the current market being a little down, you could find a nicely restored 30-31 tudor for about 14k. since you have some time due a lot of research into the A, frequent this site and read all the posts you will learn the ins and outs of some of the common issues frequently encounted with owning one. You may want to look for one that has had some modifications to be able to keep up with the traffic and safety needs of everyday driving, an overdrive, high compression head, turn signals, seat belts, etc. I would tend to stay away from juice brakes, the original mechanical brakes work great contrary to popular beliefs, when set up correctly. Join a national club, MAFCA or MARC membership is about 30 a year each and you get great bi monthly magazines,and you need to be a member of a national before you can join a local club.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
Steve Wastler

Don't go into it with the mindset cheapest is best, it will come back to haunt you...almost forgot, don't be in a rush to buy the first one you look at..
Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
CarlG

Just for an idea of what's out there and what they are selling for, eBay is a good place to start. You have to weed your way thru all the hot rods and totally worthless stuff, but there are some good ones. Your $20K should get you a very driveable car. Just do your research and you will do fine.

BTW, Mine came from eBay a couple years ago. '31 CCPU
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Mitch Bunkin in PA

I like my 1930 four door Town Sedan. By then a lot of the "kinks" that showed up in 1928/29 were dealt with. Also, the headlights, grille shell, hubcaps & cowl band were made of stainless steel, so there are no rust issues with the "bright work." Also, the front seat of a "Fordoor" is very comfortable and there's room for friends. I had a 1912 Model "T" at one time and can say that it couldn't keep up with modern traffic conditions and couldn't brake as safely as I would have wished. 1930 and 1931 Model "A" sedans usually sell between $7,000 and $20,000 depending upon whether it needs a lot of work, or is a "driver" in nice condition or a prize winning show restoration. Search on EBAY and particularly check out their "completed sales" link for Model "A's" and you'll get some idea of what to expect. Because you will spend thousands of your hard-earned money BE PATIENT. First, invest a few bucks in getting knowledge. Buy 1 or 2 books that explain Model "A's." HENRY'S LADY and THE FORD MODEL A are 2 such books. Then join a national club like MARC or MAFCA and read their excellent magazines. That will help you be sure you really want a Model "A." Join your nearest Model "A" club. Older folks love to encourage younger people to join the hobby. Here are a few more pointers:
-1-NEVER LOOK AT A CAR UNLESS YOU ARE WITH A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON YOU CAN TRUST.
-2-EXPECT TO PUT A LOT OF ADDITIONAL MONEY INTO YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU HAVE THE TOOLS AND MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE TO DO EVERYTHING YOURSELF. GO ONLINE TO BRATTONS, SNYDERS or BERTS TO SEE THEIR CATALOGUES WITH PRICES FOR TIRES, BATTERIES AND REPLACEMENT PARTS.
-3-DON'T EVEN THINK OF DRIVING IN SNOW OR BAD WEATHER UNTIL YOU HAVE SEVERAL YEARS OF DRIVING EXPERIENCE. UNLESS YOU LIVE IN AN ISOLATED RURAL AREA IT IS VERY INCONSIDERATE TO DRIVE IN SNOW. IN THOSE TIMES ONLY EMERGENCY VEHICLES SHOULD BE DRIVEN AND NOT A CAR OUT FOR FUN THAT ACCIDENTLY BLOCKS A LIFE SAVING TRAFFIC ARTERY. ALSO, CHECK TO SEE IF INSURANCE COVERS DRIVING A MODEL "A" IN DANGEROUS WEATHER CONDITIONS.

Good luck and welcome to this wonderful hobby that needs young people like you to keep this part of our automotive heritage alive. Regards.
Mitch

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Mitch Bunkin in PA

PS:
I bought my car on EBAY 6 years ago for $8500. I have an additional $12000 in it.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
ModelTFan01
Banned

I honestly will get about $13,000 to $15,000 to get a Model A. By then I will be at an age where I will be able to work at a burger joint in town to get additional money.

Both my parent's are disabled and are not able to work.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Steve Wastler

FWIW, I bought my first A, a roadster when I was 13, 3600.00, had a lawn service I started at 10 and had about 10 lawns a week to take care of. Bought and restored a 71 olds cutlass convertible at 15. It helps if you are mechanically inclined and can do the work yourself.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Huckster Dave

Are you the same young man that started all the fuss about the software being used over on the Model T sight?
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
700rpm

I'm not surprised that your web site isn't making any money for you. None of your links work and there is no contact information. If you're selling web services, Job One is to get your own show on the road. Something is fishy here. I will frankly state that I am skeptical about you.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote