Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
ModelTFan01
Banned

Default Re: First Car

700rpm, relax. My website is currently under construction. Soon those links will be up and running.
ModelTFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I'm not surprised that your web site isn't making any money for you. None of your links work and there is no contact information. If you're selling web services, Job One is to get your own show on the road. Something is fishy here. I will frankly state that I am skeptical about you.
Ditto.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
BudP

Another "Ditto" here.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
ModelTFan01
Banned

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It's fixed temporarily by listing the prices and a "Contact Me" link as the "index.html" page.

For now everything's okay.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Steve Wastler

Maybe give the kid a little break, he says he is 13 give him the benefit of the doubt. Alot of you guys whine about the lack of youth interest in this great hobby, not quite the way to make the youth feel welcome. If he is in fact 13 I give him respect for trying to start a small business and kudos for wanting an A for his first car.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
ModelTFan01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Maybe give the kid a little break, he says he is 13 give him the benefit of the doubt. Alot of you guys whine about the lack of youth interest in this great hobby, not quite the way to make the youth feel welcome. If he is in fact 13 I give him respect for trying to start a small business and kudos for wanting an A for his first car.
As for the "in fact he is 13" part, I have proof.

The photo attached was taken by Dick Lodge when I rode in a 1911 Ford Model T. I am the one in the pink shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911kg_59295_normalsize.jpg (68.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
steve s

My first car was a Model A. I just liked the looks of old cars and wanted one to tool around in. My dad convinced me to get a Model A because parts would be available. Good advice--plus, he paid for it ($200). I liked the gangster body style, so I got a town sedan. I suggest you look at lots of pictures and find a body style that lights your fire, then hold out for it--then, you'll always like it. If you're thinking an open car, picture yourself trying to like driving yourself around, and potential girl friends, in a cold rain. If that works for you and your imaginary her, go for it.

I think you would quickly regret getting a T for your everyday transportation; a Model A is about a old as is workable, even so you'll probably want to stick to side streets and back roads. Actually, the A doesn't look ALL that different from the later T's, but it's a whole world more modern.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
al's28/33

I agree with Mitch above, as well as most of the others here......welcome to the site, welcome to the Hobby and glad to see a young heart of real interest in old cars. You are brave to want to use an 80 year old car for your everyday driver. I'm scared to death driving mine around once or twice a week for just a toot around the neighborhood, peoples driving skills aren't reliable enough for me to want to drive mine on more open roads or busier highways. Be patient and knowledgeable enough to see a money pit and remember you'll have plenty of general upkeep with the normal wear and tear of daily driving..........but.............you will have tons of fun and make many friends along your journey. Don't get discouraged, there are lots of helping hands and experienced folks who can share their experiences too!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
CarlG

My first "car" was an AA 280A. I was 14 at the time, and I sought out and bought this rig because my Dad had owned it previously and I had "helped" him work on it when I was 9 years old. I paid $45 for it out of my paper route earnings. It wasn't really all that old back then, 24 years old. Actually the car I drive to work right now is 20 years old itself!

All that to say that I chose a Model A (AA) for my first car when I was just a pup (and it didn't cost me $20K), and have had a soft spot for them ever since. I haven't always owned one, but I probably will from now on.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
Huckster Dave

Unless I miss my guess this is the same kid that raised Cain on the MTFCA site, angrified a bunch of people. Wish I could find the link to the thread. I suspect they might have run him off and I take note that he wished to avoid my question posted earlier. I am also suspect because if this young man has as much computer knowledge as he claims he would be able to find the swap meet and look at car prices.

Last edited by Huckster Dave; 06-01-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add further comment
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #31
Steve Wastler

Just for Gris and giggles I went to the mtfca's forum, it must contain some great info and have great followers, but if this is the young man that stirred any pot regarding functionality, I would say he may have been right. I couldn't get that site to work for my purpose, and being young and full of vigor I may have done the same thing. I love the T also, but I can say I would not frequent that site. That being said, he has presented himself well HERE in his ONE thread, so why do some of you choose to do what you think he may have done there. He is a youngster in an old mans hobby, use your wisdom to accept maybe things were escalated over there due to generation gap and at least give the boy a chance here. If you think something alterior block his posts or don't read it, but don't carry the drama over here.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #32
Great Lakes Greg

I think blowing 20 G's on a Model A for a daily driver isn't such a good idea. Get a beater for less than half and drive guilt free in the snow. The preservation side of me would hesitate to drive a nice car on salty roads.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #33
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckster Dave View Post
Unless I miss my guess this is the same kid that raised Cain on the MTFCA site, angrified a bunch of people. Wish I could find the link to the thread. I suspect they might have run him off and I take note that he wished to avoid my question posted earlier. I am also suspect because if this young man has as much computer knowledge as he claims he would be able to find the swap meet and look at car prices.
If you're trying to run the youth off, you're doing a good job. I can't believe some of you out there. Complaining that you don't think he's 13, saying he caused trouble on another website..and you guys are the "adults". My 4 year old has more respect then some of you. If he's legit, that's great, young kids are needed for this hobby. If he's trolling, so be it and move on.
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #34
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Just for Gris and giggles I went to the mtfca's forum, it must contain some great info and have great followers, but if this is the young man that stirred any pot regarding functionality, I would say he may have been right. I couldn't get that site to work for my purpose, and being young and full of vigor I may have done the same thing. I love the T also, but I can say I would not frequent that site. That being said, he has presented himself well HERE in his ONE thread, so why do some of you choose to do what you think he may have done there. He is a youngster in an old mans hobby, use your wisdom to accept maybe things were escalated over there due to generation gap and at least give the boy a chance here. If you think something alterior block his posts or don't read it, but don't carry the drama over here.
Well said Steve. I agree with you completely. These guys are doing a great job trying to scare him away.
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
Huckster Dave

I guess if too much gris gets going Ryan will handle it properly. I surrender to the majority.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelTFan01 View Post
I think I'm going to go with a '31 Sedan.

However, how much does one cost?
Two door or four door? If it is a 4 door be sure it is a late four door with a slanted front window. The later cars were mostly steel in the construction instead of wood and that resulted in a more solid car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #37
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I'm not surprised that your web site isn't making any money for you. None of your links work and there is no contact information. If you're selling web services, Job One is to get your own show on the road. Something is fishy here. I will frankly state that I am skeptical about you.

I agree.

I wouldn't pay someone to make a website for me when their own looks like that.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
1928Pickuppain

I dive my model A as my daily driver its the same to me as driveing my old jeep snow rain ect.. im going to lest the differances between As and Ts

speed model A gets 55-65 model t gets tops 45

Breaks Model A 4 wheel mechanical Brakes with seperat E break T 2 wheel break with transmition break. (very poor)

drivabily model a has the moden cluch beake gas very easy very simple very safe the model T has i call them stomp pedles and the thoughtel on the colum makes it very hard to decelerate quicly leading to acidents

theres a tone of other improvements too but thoughs are the importaint ones lol.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #39
dlshady

Garrett,

In regards to your questions on value, I just checked out the classifieds and found this sedan for sale:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70061

That should give you a good idea of what you can expect for that amount of money. Looks like a decent car that runs and drives, could use some elbow grease and TLC, but overall it's probably a decent entry level car.

I have a lot more thoughts to share regarding buying your first Model A but they can wait until later. For now just concentrate on saving money and learning everything you can about the cars. If you're interested in authenticity then one of the best books I own is "The Ford Model A As Henry Built It" by George DeAngelis, Edward Francis and Leslie Henry. It's got a lot of great information in it.

There's a lot of great information available on the web regarding Model A's so read everything you can and ask questions when you don't understand. I think Steve Plucker also has a sticky thread on the A section regarding Model A related websites, so you might want to check that out.

Deron

PS: You may want to start signing your posts. People tend to be much less suspicious when you do that, plus it's just good ettiquette.
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #40
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckster Dave View Post
Are you the same young man that started all the fuss about the software being used over on the Model T sight?
That's the guy. He's tried pushing his website for months. Go on his profile page and look at the threads he's posted in. This kid's a gem.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-03-2012 at 12:42 AM.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote