Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #61
Tinker

Default Re: Vapor Lock Quick Recovery Tool

Look at the low pressure holley brand. 1-4 lbs. even has a tap for a low pressure gauge, which is helpful.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #62
bgarrett

thank you Tinker
Ebay has lots of them and this one is 1-4 pounds

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Fuel-C...457842&vxp=mtr

edit: be sure to read Amazon reviews so you can make it work right
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #63
40cpe

I think it is notable that:
THIS REGULATOR CAN ONLY REGULATE DOWN TO 1-4 LBS

IF YOUR CURRENT

FUEL PRESSURE IS AT 5 LBS OR ABOVE TO START WITH

IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN 5 LBS OF FUEL PRESSURE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE TO START WITH SO THAT THE REGULATOR CAN ADJUST DOWN

FOR EXAMPLE...THIS REGULATOR WILL NOT REGULATE 3 LBS OF PRESSURE DOWN TO 1~!!

So if you are using one of the Airtex low pressure pumps there might not be enough pressure to make this regulator work. I don't have a horse in the race, just noticed the seller's note on the auction page.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #64
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett View Post
I would like to learn more about the pressure regulator. Brand and model please.
I hope its not the round pressure restrictor.
This is the Holley regulator I use:

Available from Mac's here: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_me...-npt-ford.html

Here's my installation back by the electric fuel pump:

Here's my fuel pump installation as close as I could get to the gas tank just before the regulator in the line.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-30-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #65
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I think it is notable that:
THIS REGULATOR CAN ONLY REGULATE DOWN TO 1-4 LBS

IF YOUR CURRENT

FUEL PRESSURE IS AT 5 LBS OR ABOVE TO START WITH

IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN 5 LBS OF FUEL PRESSURE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE TO START WITH SO THAT THE REGULATOR CAN ADJUST DOWN

FOR EXAMPLE...THIS REGULATOR WILL NOT REGULATE 3 LBS OF PRESSURE DOWN TO 1~!!

So if you are using one of the Airtex low pressure pumps there might not be enough pressure to make this regulator work. I don't have a horse in the race, just noticed the seller's note on the auction page.
That may be true for that cheap Quick Fuel brand regulator but not for the Holley that I use. The way my horse works that is in the race is this: the Airtex pump puts out up to 4 psi, which means it's usually 4 psi - too much for the carburetor float valve rated at 3½ psi. The Holley regulator does, indeed, reduce that pressure to 1 psi which is plenty to keep the flow to the carburetor under all circumstances so that I can run the electric pump continuously if I need to, which I usually have to do for a while when vapor locked, especially climbing mountains. (So as not to be confused, this is on my 47, not the 51 on which no electric pump nor regulator is installed that I'm still fighting vapor lock.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-30-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #66
Barlea

Here's what could be causing your problem. Many of the 51 Fords were equipped with the dual diaphragm pumps which take a lot of push to operate, and sometimes what happens eventually is the eccentric on the cam wears until there is very little travel on the pushrod, and hard starting becomes no start at all. I bought a '51 sedan cheap several years ago in this condition. Run an electric full time and no problem. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #67
Old Henry

Got Shewman's check valve flex hose in and installed it. No benefit whatsoever.

All that's left now is an electric fuel pump. Guess I'll bite the bullet and put one in.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #68
Robert Legner

I chatted with an older gent who drove a '35 Ford way back when and related your problem "vapor lock". He said it is probably a problem of simply making the push rod that operates the fuel pump longer. Your fuel pump may not be operating correctly because the push rod is worn off.
Robert Legner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #69
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Legner View Post
I chatted with an older gent who drove a '35 Ford way back when and related your problem "vapor lock". He said it is probably a problem of simply making the push rod that operates the fuel pump longer. Your fuel pump may not be operating correctly because the push rod is worn off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlea View Post
Here's what could be causing your problem. Many of the 51 Fords were equipped with the dual diaphragm pumps which take a lot of push to operate, and sometimes what happens eventually is the eccentric on the cam wears until there is very little travel on the pushrod, and hard starting becomes no start at all. I bought a '51 sedan cheap several years ago in this condition. Run an electric full time and no problem. ..B.
I have considered the possibility of a worn push rod. The symptoms I have don't seem to be consistent with that, particularly because the symptoms are aggravated by heat. The push rod gets longer when heated rather than shorter. So, it would work better when hot rather than worse. Also, the pump works fine once it's primed and not too hot, and particularly running at high speed, which, again, doesn't seem consistent with a worn push rod. Finally, the engine only has 63,000 original miles on it. I would hope a push rod would last longer than that.

I've decided, rather than throw any more parts at the problem, (I've already thrown in a new mechanical fuel pump, new Shewman's check valve flex hose, new fuel lines from tank to flex hose and from mechanical pump to carb) I'm going to install the electric fuel pump I just got in today. I'm convinced that will fix it and would have if installed at the beginning and saved me all the time and money of all the other parts. I had tested for vapor lock the very first thing by pouring water on the fuel pump like I always had with my 47. It didn't fix it like it did the 47 so concluded that wasn't it. It wasn't the fuel line from the tank to the flex hose either. The reason the engine ran fine with a plastic tube from the fuel pump to a gas can inside the car is because the tube went from the pump just a few inches through the firewall to the can. So, it couldn't get heated up like the metal line attached to the fire wall.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #70
George/Maine

I think the needle is sticking in carbv
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #71
NYfatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Legner View Post
I had a 51, and the fuel pump rod was worn. I remember something about a penny taking up the slack ?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #72
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfatboy View Post
I had a 51, and the fuel pump rod was worn. I remember something about a penny taking up the slack ?
Here we used to cut a piece of leather from an old glove and stick it into the socket on the fuel pump lever to take up some slack. Not saying its the answer, just what we used to do.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #73
George/Maine

I guess that what was under the arm I replaced pump few weeks ago I had problem wouldn't keep running the new pump said about it would take up the play I had fuel filter between carb and pump I replaced that Also
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #74
Barlea

If the cam lobe is worn you will have the symptoms of erratic fuel delivery but lengthening the push rod will have no effect. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote