Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default A's in movies?????

I'm watching Paper Moon again and I'm a bit surprised that the speeds and fast turns these As do. I'm sure they have a mechanic on the filming sites but are these As enhanced any or are they/can they do what people see. It's not camera trickery in sped up filming.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: A's in movies?????

We have a tendency to baby our cars far more than whats required.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
Stew Masche

"Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt."
Stew Masche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
DougVieyra

Our Ford Model A's are quite (and easily) capable of doing all that you see on T.V. and in the movies. I spent many years in the '60's & '70's driving my Model A's in just such a fashion - as my many traffic tickets will attest. I even got a ticket once for driving my '31 Dlx. Roadster down the freeway with it's windshield folded down. And then there was the incident of driving my '28 Phaeton down the middle of town at 2 in the morning, blowing my Aermore train whistle all the while (another ticket) ! Of course to get the most noise out of the exhaust whistle, you had to drive the car FAST !
And racing with friends (and their Model A's) on dirt roads was always a thrill !

I don't do that anymore.

At 72 years of age, prudence now has more value than the excitement and thrill of SPEED and recklessness.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif (another sunny, 65 degree day)
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Our Ford Model A's are quite (and easily) capable of doing all that you see on T.V. and in the movies. I spent many years in the '60's & '70's driving my Model A's in just such a fashion - as my many traffic tickets will attest. I even got a ticket once for driving my '31 Dlx. Roadster down the freeway with it's windshield folded down. And then there was the incident of driving my '28 Phaeton down the middle of town at 2 in the morning, blowing my Aermore train whistle all the while (another ticket) ! Of course to get the most noise out of the exhaust whistle, you had to drive the car FAST !
And racing with friends (and their Model A's) on dirt roads was always a thrill !

I don't do that anymore.

At 72 years of age, prudence now has more value than the excitement and thrill of SPEED and recklessness.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif (another sunny, 65 degree day)
Sounds like you had a real "American Graffiti" experience in your teenage years.

I can see babying As today, especially at their age and ours. I guess by doing that, seeing different in the movies can raise eyebrows.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
31 Model A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
We have a tendency to baby our cars far more than whats required.
I often wonder if it's not enough and then sometimes if it's all that needed, then I think of the breakage and repair cost.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If you get a chance to put a vehicle in a Movie or a television series, try to do so without a broker ! It can be a very lucrative business. I had one vehicle ( not an A ) in a series for over 3 years. Even though I loved the car I was kinda sorry to see it come home (
Lol ) ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
If you get a chance to put a vehicle in a Movie or a television series, try to do so without a broker ! It can be a very lucrative business. I had one vehicle ( not an A ) in a series for over 3 years. Even though I loved the car I was kinda sorry to see it come home (
Lol ) ! Wayne
I don't think I'd put any A in a movie unless I drove it and my nymphomaniac co-driver was played by Charlize Theron .

Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
raprice22

I loved the use of Model A Fords in "The Road to Perdition" with Tom Hanks.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
MrBruce

We have a museum "Memory Lane Museum" in Mooresville, NC and Alex Beam who owns it has many Model A's and T's that have been in movies i.e. The Color Purple, Leather Head and more. I imagine he gets a good price for there use.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
mass A man

The movie "Grown-ups" with Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Steve Buscemi, etc.. was filmed in part right near me here in Essex County. A good friend of mine owned the old fire engine in a scene, and told me they paid him $200. per day for it to be just parked in the background. He had to be there on the set with it for 5 days. By the way, that movie cost 80 MILLION dollars to make!---No wonder ticket sales are so darn expensive.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
31 Woody

Sure Model A's can do that. And the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazard really drove away from all those jump sequences...
Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #13
wensum

I' saw the very good movie "Hyde Park on Hudson" which is about FDR (Franklin D Roosevelt) and his three mistresses.
The lead actress drives a Model A Tudor which besides being in concours condition, is spoilt by having two tail lights.
However the continuity is spoilt by the fact that in the interior shots it appears to have a bench front seat,
Then later the second mistress surprises the first mistress by hiding in the back seat.
She then jumps out and enters by the front door. Apparently a Fordor was used for the interior shots
Lots of Model A footage, but why didn't they use the Fordor all the time?
Or is my memory confused?
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
inex01

My 31 Sedan was the car that was used in the Eastwood movie "J Edgar" and met Eastwood and Decappio, since that gig it was again used in the TV special called "The Mob" which will be aired this spring. So my car is a star.... they did take great car of the car both times and I made enough to pay for the new Mitchel overdrive which I will be installing in a couple of weeks into the sedan.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
davehc

Another good one for " A' s that I watched the other day is " Miller's Crossing " , gangsters type , pretty good movie .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote