Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Kpar

Default 33 Generator

Hi all, went to install a "Fun Projects Regulator" on my 3rd brush gen.
The installation instructions says to connect the large armature wire to "A" and the small field wire to earth, and connect the battery to "B". All very simple, right.
After reading the warnings on how it's possible to cook the unit I left it alone.
Reason being:- My gen has only one small wire that is connected to a Delco cutout and a battery wire connected to the other side of the cutout.
Where is the Field wire, Is it earthed internally.
This may be a simple question to some but I'm nearly as old as the car.
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
bobH

Default Re: 33 Generator

On my 33-34, the 'arm', and 'bat' wire are as you stated. The field wire comes out the hole (of the housing), and is grounded under one of the cutout attachment points. Is yours different? Could the field wire be grounded somewhere else, like maybe inside the generator case? ?????
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Kpar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
On my 33-34, the 'arm', and 'bat' wire are as you stated. The field wire comes out the hole (of the housing), and is grounded under one of the cutout attachment points. Is yours different? Could the field wire be grounded somewhere else, like maybe inside the generator case? ?????
I,ve searched all over there is only one wire coming out the top of gen and it goes to the cutout. Can't find any wire going to earth. Maybe its earthed inside.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
Terry,OH

Ford had two wires leaving the generator but electrically the ground wire could be connected inside the generator and everything would work find. Connect the fun regulator as your Delco is connected. A is the Armature and B is Battery. When you mount the fun regulator to the body of the generator you will be connecting it to ground and making up the third wire connection.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Kpar, based on some pictures I saw showing how the distributor and coil were wired in your car by the previous owner, just to be on the safe side, I would suggest having that generator carefully checked over before installing that Fun Projects regulator. Who knows what the previous owner or their mechanic has modified on the internals of that generator. I would hate to see you burn out a $70.00 + regulator to find out something is not wired correctly. Maybe Lawrie can help you out on this.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Kpar

Thanks everybody, and yes I will be checking with Lawrie before making any connection