Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Fat Fender

Default Tacking Strp

I'm about to install a well kit and top on a '40 convertible. The channel that wraps around the upper rear of the quarters and trunk area is currently void of any tacking material. I've looked at several suppliers, and they only list 1/8" X 5/8" and a bigger size for a "tack strip". I need a wider tack strip I think (it measures at least 3/4"). Also, how does the tack strip fit into this channel? Does the channel itself need to be bent out and back in, or does the strip get secured with screws? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fat Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Tacking Strp

I am not sure about a 40, but most Fords used a paper type material for a tack strip that was in the channel. This material is not available anywhere. From what I understand, most people remove the channel and use the vinyl material you mentioned by either screwing or pop riveting it to the body.

Another source of material that may be wider and thicker is the vinyl/rubber body side protective strips that are fastened the same way as mentioned above. I don't know if K-Mart/Wal-Mart still have this.

You might check with LeBaron-Bonney as I understand they have a replacement (rubber/vinyl). Not sure it is any different than the stuff you have seen.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
roadster36
BANNED

I have done four converts ''34 cabrioletm '38 convert coupe, a '39 convert. sedan, and a '40 convert. I used the black plastic tack strip material that Drake and LeBarron Bonney sell.You have to work it into the channel and then snug it up. I had to make the channel on three of the cars but the stuff they sell is for this purpose and works well.It will not absorb moisture or cause problems later on. I think it is the 1/8 X 5/8 size. Less than 20 bucks a roll. Staples or tacks adhere to it well.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
tb40

Yep same here. I used the tack material from Lebarron Bonney and it worked the best. I was able to pry the upper lip up and slide the strip in and then peen the lip back down.The hardest part was digging all that old junk out. The channel on the body must be completely cleaned of the old tack strip material. I coated mine with DP 40 Epoxy primer by PPG a few days before installing the tack strip.
I hope your body is not painted already.If so you may have to repaint the area surround the tack strip. Wonder how I know this Hummmm !!!!

Travis
KY
Kolb Aircraft
tb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
quickchange34

I have had the same problem you have Fat Fender. The stuff you get from the Ford supplyers is not wide enought. I just finished doing the tack strip on the top of a 34 three window. Clean out all of the old paper in the tack moulding frist. Make yourself a tool to roll the edge of the tack strip up on the side that is bent over on a 90. Make the tool out of steel. 3/8 by 3/8 by 5 or 6 inches long. Saw a slot in one end to fit over the 90 that is bent over. Pry over on the tool as you move along and it will unfold the 90. Go to a building supply and buy PVC Moulding it comes 1/4 inch thick by 2inches wide by 10 foot long. I really holes tacks and staples. It is very flexable and can be bent. Use a heat gun and you can move it. I run it in a band saw and cut it to 3/4 inch . After installing it in the moulding just hammer the moulding edge back to a 90.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
barryfromvictoria

do not leave the metal channel off. it greatly adds to the strength of the rear tub. my 40 conv was rotted and i made a new one out of three pieces identical to the old one and spotwelded it in. i left the top lip unbent. i couldn`t find any tack strip the right size to fit the channel properly. i tested a piece of black abs pipe and it held staples and nails really well. i used 4" i.d. abs so about 3/4" width was fairly flat. i cut a strip to fit the channnel[about 3/4"] lengthways on a table saw. the strip is anglecut on the bottom to fit snugly down in the angle of the metal channel where it touches the rear deck. you want a snug fit. the strip is easily curved to shape using a heat gun or hair dryer. install and clamp the strip inside the channel. then the abs strip is used as a perfect mould to hammer over the top lip to hold the strip in place.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
flatmotor40

mine on my 40 was rusted and after I had the body dippied teh channel was too bad tookit off and got the plastic from LB who made the top and seat covers riveted it on and did fine
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Fat Fender

Thanks for all the great input. Sounds like I'm into making a custom strip of some kind. I sort of thought I would have to bend the lip out, then back down again. Makes sense.

Fat Fender
Fat Fender is offline   Reply With Quote