Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Fat Fender

Default Basic 40 Questions

I know some of my questions are pretty basic, but I would like to build my 40 to near stock spec's. So first, is there a colored lens in the high beam indicator on the deluxe dash?. I have the small chrome (stainless?) fitting for the hole in the dash and the unit that holds it in place. When I switch on the hi-beams I get a white light through the fitting. Should there be a lens (called jewel in some of the documentation I have found)? Secondly, is the exterior door handle for a convertible (which I have) different than a closed car? The reason I ask is that I bought repop door handles from a reputable parts house and they didn't fit. The shaft of the repop parts was basically at 90 degrees from the handle. My convert handles were more like 95 to 100 degrees so the repop base wasn't flush with the door. Also since I am in a typing mood tonight, I want to thank all the guys who have provided me information/experience/expertise over the last year in my refurbishment of my 40.
Fat Fender
Fat Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Basic 40 Questions

There should be a red lense in your high beam indicator. Most V-8 suppliers have a good replacement. To my knowledge all the 40 door handles are the same. The repops are not stainless(they are diecast chrome), so if you are concerned about being original I would look for some good used handles.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Kube

Default Re: Basic 40 Questions

The outer door handle for a convertible is very different than a closed car. Shaft length as well as the reverse threads on the end and the threaded hole at the very end...all different than a closed car. Also, the reproduction handles are chrome plated steel. The OEM handles are stainless clad.
TJ is quite correct about the red lens being in the hi-beam indicator. That part is faithfully reproduced.

Fat Fender,
Might I suggest you (and others) with specific 1940 Ford questions try the Ford V8 Club of America website (http://www.earlyfordv8.org/)? On behalf of the Club, I monitor the forum daily for such inquires. As many of you know I am currently authoring the new restoration manual for 1940 Fords on behalf of the Ford Club. It will, once completed be extremely detailed.
Please understand, I am not suggesting moving away from the Barn but simply offering another avenue to get help with your restorations.
Mike Kubarth
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote