Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
sturgis 39

Default Re: What was mounted on my FIREWALL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubcollector View Post
WOW! Of all of the so-called Model A "EXPERTS" and "HOBBIESTS" out there I'm not at all shocked to see just how many of you jump on the "MOCKING" bandwagon. If You can not offer a useful suggestion just don't offer one at all. You might as well all post your thoughts on sites like VWforum and those alike , with the rest of the immature teens. Here's another pic for you who say it's a series of gun shot holes, let's try to be a bit more optomistic from here on out. A little more history for those who are concerned with the "FILL and PAINT" suggestions, a more accurate time period would've been the early 1950's since the car has been parked indoors since then. An accessory WAS mounted here at one point 60+ years ago and would love to know more about what it could have been. The water heater was the most intelligent suggestion so far.

Temper temper- the holes are not big enough for water connections. They use to run model a's on diesel and other petroleum products after they started them on gasoline. I would not try to replace whatever item was there. This is a great forum and you should try to develop a sense of humor. Maybe the owner got a new electric drill and wanted to try it out. Electric drills did not show up on the market until the 50's.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #42
James Rogers

Quote:
WOW! Of all of the so-called Model A "EXPERTS" and "HOBBIESTS" out there I'm not at all shocked to see just how many of you jump on the "MOCKING" bandwagon. If You can not offer a useful suggestion just don't offer one at all. You might as well all post your thoughts on sites like VWforum and those alike , with the rest of the immature teens. Here's another pic for you who say it's a series of gun shot holes, let's try to be a bit more optomistic from here on out. A little more history for those who are concerned with the "FILL and PAINT" suggestions, a more accurate time period would've been the early 1950's since the car has been parked indoors since then. An accessory WAS mounted here at one point 60+ years ago and would love to know more about what it could have been. The water heater was the most intelligent suggestion so far.
Very good way to never get another question answered. It could have been anything from an oil can holder to a mack truck battery, any guess is as good as one you might have. One thing for sure, those holes SHOULD NOT BE THERE! Any reason for them was not an accessory sanctioned by Ford or any other reason except for the previous owners own eccentricities and/or preferences.

Maybe with that attitude YOU need to be the one who goes back to your VW forum.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #43
James Rogers

Very possibly could have been a battery holder. I removed one from my cabbie and this is what the holes looked like. See the resemblance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FWALL91.jpg (52.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Fred
BANNED

Good answer Jim, I was just about to say a WINDSHIELD WASHER !!!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #45
1931 flamingo

He must have read my book: How To Win Friends and Influence People.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #46
VWJoe

Quote:

I don't know what it is ,was, or could have been . Does it really matter After over 1,400 views and still no conclusion, its time to move on. It could have been anything.
VWJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
Veedubcollector

What a great way to welcome newcomers to the site. I had asked my 93 year old neighbor Violet what she thought it was when first purchased the car and she gave a better answer than MOST of those mentioned above. Upper holes for the jack mount and the lower for the engine crank handle as she remembers seeing back in the day. She must be have a better understanding of cars than most people, her answer wasn't smart-assed!
Veedubcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #48
James Rogers

What a great way to introduce yourself " Hi I am the new jerk and you will answer my questions even though I have pre-concieved notions about the answers and will never believe any answer you could give ANYWAY". Why didn't you ask Violet in the first case and you could have done 2 things. You could have kept yourself from the hassle of posters TRYING to help and us from having to listen to you berate our answers when they were as good as any guess you OR Violet could possibly have!

You and Violet have a good day.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #49
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
What a great way to welcome newcomers to the site. I had asked my 93 year old neighbor Violet what she thought it was when first purchased the car and she gave a better answer than MOST of those mentioned above. Upper holes for the jack mount and the lower for the engine crank handle as she remembers seeing back in the day. She must be have a better understanding of cars than most people, her answer wasn't smart-assed!
I suggest you dont ask any more questions here on the "FordBarn" Just ask your neighbor.. You will have the best looking CAR & FIRE WALL @ the next show...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #50
sturgis 39

I am ready for the next question. I hope we all do a better job!

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #51
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I am ready for the next question. I hope we all do a better job!
And you mean by that ???
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #52
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
And you mean by that ???
Sturgis was addressing the guy with the holes in his head..........I mean firewall.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #53
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
You are something else!
You ask for ideas as to what might have been mounted there, then decide you don't like any of the answers and give me a smart assed reply when I suggested they look like bullet holes. Well, I've seen lots of bullet holes in cars and the picture in #13 shows a rusty looking firewall with green paint thrown over the rust. This would indicate the body sat out in the weather for many years, and that's when the people often shoot holes in them. Unless someone here saw the car 60 years ago or talked to the owner from that time period, who knows exactly what was mounted there. BTW, the holes in #41 look very clean and I can see they are drilled. The holes in #13 looked jagged, just like a bullet would leave.

So, what's your problem. Fill the holes and move on.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #54
Reds34

Saying "this site sucks" on your first or second post doesn't help either. Just sayin'.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #55
MikeK

WOW! What a great thread. I learned something new. (Other than Violet has a faulty memory) I can now make Veedubcollector disappear!

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE FORDBARN FAQ:

"Dealing with Troublesome Users
Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?
If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:
Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'."
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #56
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Three holes across the top and two beneath. The holes are inset and almost appear to have accepted a tapered secrew head. Nothing looks as if it mounted inside and the car was obviously painted after the holes were filled with filler. Any helpful suggestions appreciated. And YES i would like to reinstall what ever it was to take it back to the correct time period. To answer a simple question in advance I would ask the original owner but he passed away years ago.
Vdub in my humble opinion you should be a little more appreciative that folks will even speak with you given the nasty attitude you show in all your other postings.
Why would anyone introduce themself saying "this site sucks" ??

P.S......if you determine the holes are from bullets, at least it would be easy to "reinstall what ever it was to take it back to the correct time period"
Who knows?...you might even get some volunteer help if you sit inside.

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 03-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #57
Chris in WNC

yes, I gave you a smartass answer.
sometimes I do that.
and I'm not so thin-skinned, so I'm OK if YOU give ME a smartass answer.
you got a considerable number of legit guesses in response, and some very good advice along with them.
so how have you been harmed?
I'll bet Violet has a better sense of humor

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 03-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #58
Hicktick

You should have been more upfront with everyone , they had no idea you had Violet .

I hope Violet can help you with the rest of your restoration .

Pops , I dont know so im tole .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #59
b ramsey

you answered your own question in the first post. the holes were there to hold the body filler.
b ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #60
Cool Hand Lurker

There are a lot of Model A experts on this forum and they are almost always helpful. If this had been an attachment of any possible known Model A accessory you would have had an authoritative answer quickly. You did not get such an answer, therefore I have to assume it is a one-of-a-kind attachment where only the installer knows the truth.
Give it up. It could be anything. There is no point in "going back to the correct time period."
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote