Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
modelAtony

Default Re: Driving the A

Colonel. Easy, example start at 8am drive 50 mph stop at 10am take a 15 minute pit stop or gas etc. driving at 10:15 stop at 12:15 eat , fuel start driving at 12:45 pm drive another 2 hrs stop at 2:45 then 15 minute break start at 3 pm drive till 5 pm You will not be tired and you have covered your 360 miles , piece of cake, I travel many miles per year and personally like to be putting rubber on the road no latter than 7 am . have fun modelAtony lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Logan, I just this weekend did 935 miles in my Dodge Dually pulling my T from Rutland,VT to Asheville.NC and it took from 8AM Saturday till 3AM Sunday with only 2 fuel stops and 2 food stops. I was dog tired and was glad I didn't have another mile to go. I agree with 40 Deluxe .
If you were at the T meet in VT, then you should know my old boss. But I'm not gonna name drop on here. I may have heard wrong, but I'm sure he said 900+ miles cuz I was beyond shocked. His T is modified, but not a hot rod.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
Chris in WNC

coming home from Dallas to Jacksonville FL in 2008, I drove 495 miles two days in a row in a Tudor with a Mitchell OD and no other modifications. reduce that 20-25% for comparison without the OD. it was EXHAUSTING and I'd rather not do it again.

this year we drove home to NC from Marquette in 2.5 days, keeping it under 55mph. if our A was pure stock, I'd keep top speed between 45-50 max.

getting out of the car to walk a bit every hour or two is mandatory if you're old like us!

Peyton: "As I'm writing this, I'm fantasing about an eighth trip!"

so what are you waiting for, bubba?
when the weather cools off a little get in the car and get on up here.
you and Mable Lee are long overdue for a visit!

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 07-23-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Richard Wilson

When I plan a long tour for stock Model A's I use 30 miles per hour to figure about how many driving hours it will take to go a certain distance. So 350miles/30MPH =11.6 hours drive time without any sight seeing time included. We try to drive between 40-45 mph. This allows a 15 min gas stop every 100 miles and 45 min lunch/dinner stops.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If you were at the T meet in VT, then you should know my old boss. But I'm not gonna name drop on here. I may have heard wrong, but I'm sure he said 900+ miles cuz I was beyond shocked. His T is modified, but not a hot rod.
I was at the MTFCI meet in Rutland and drove back at 65 MPH most of the way and it took from 9AM till 3AM with very few stops. I would probably know him but with 500 people and many from TX I couldn't make a guess. 900 miles in a day would be almost impossible with anything but a highly modified T or A. You would be worn out at the end.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
Logan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I was at the MTFCI meet in Rutland and drove back at 65 MPH most of the way and it took from 9AM till 3AM with very few stops. I would probably know him but with 500 people and many from TX I couldn't make a guess. 900 miles in a day would be almost impossible with anything but a highly modified T or A. You would be worn out at the end.
I was off by 100 miles. Just got off the phone with Ross Lilliker, and he said it was 805 miles from brenham, tx to Nashville, tn. He did it in one day, and it was written up in the mtfca magazine. Like I said it wasn't a stock T, but it wasnt a hot rod or anything like that. If I was guessing it had a hot cam, A crank, and high comp head because that's what he usually ran, and a warford overdrive. But even with all of those mods, it comes pretty close to a stock model A. So I would say 350 in a day in a stock model a an easy task. My brother and I once drove 250 before 10:30 in the morning and we left the house at 6 am. The key is to drive and not make stops unless youre out of gas or it is a breakdown.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
Christoph

Allways impressed to hear about long distance runs
(just like Ben and Nancys: "Drive it home" advanture).

We love to Tour our A and we are planning to Go
Germany-Luxembourg-Belgien-Frankreich-Belgien-Netherlands-Germany
starting in 2 weeks.

Maybe traffic is different over here, but i plan to do 200 miles MAX per day.
I want to see the world and try to prevent, that my wife takes the train to get home....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpe Diem 2012 xx.jpg (136.0 KB, 8 views)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote