Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
29 special

Default attitudes

first post i make asking advice on oil last night. I get one answer from a gentleman and two smart ... remarks from senior members I can do with out.
29 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: attitudes

I read your post and agree with your straight answer but would use 30W detergent oil for the break in period (10W-30) let the ambient temperature determine the first weight (MN now about 10 or 20W-30. Seems as if every time there is a posting about oil or lubrication everyone has a different answer and the postings get confusing and somewhat argumentative. So the senior members don't look forward to the entire post.
You can do a search function of previous post using the button above. If your new here have thick skin and remember no one bites.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Mart

Don't worry about it, the subject of oil tends to get everybody arguing about their favourite brand. I would agree, with a clean fresh engine use a detergent oil. The ones made for diesel engines have more of that good old stuff in them that the flat tappet engines like. I used something like a 15W40 diesel oil in my french motor.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Fe26

Keep your shirt on mate, oil is one of the most contentious topics on here. Every man and his dog has an opinion and everymans dog swears he is right.

So when someone says 'here we go again' it's because we've done this topic a few times before. You're just the Newbie who walked into the minefield.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Mart

See, me and Terry have posted different views already!

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
29 special

thanks for the info guys, newbie to posting
29 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
FHFD

Oil and Spark plugs..probably the two least topics for people to agree on.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
G.M.

Read this attachment then make your own decission. I used Casrtol 20/50 from start up to 110,000 with the results of a clean, quiet engine and no problems. On my last oil change I switched to Valvoline 15/40 purple diesel oil. I have several diesels I will also use it in and like the look of the additives. Just my personal choice I think the Castrol would work for another 100,000 G.M.,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDR57_Oil.pdf (166.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
2935ford

Ok my 2cents......
With a fresh engine I use 10w30 of any popular brand but which ever the brand I choose, I stay with that brand.
On an old not rebuilt motor I use 30w non detergent, period.

End of the oil story for me!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
4dFord/SC

About the only thing everyone agrees on is that flatheads do need oil, at least once in awhile
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Old Henry

Here is a very exhaustive thread on the subject of oils from two months ago: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60100

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-27-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
TomO

29special and every other user should not get a smart.... answer. If you are tired of the subject or it has been answered many times, either ignore the post or refer the member to a thread that contains an answer to his question.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Old Henry

On the subject of attitudes, I've decided to share a private message I received in response to a thread I started on such subject a couple of months ago. Hope the sender won't mind. I thought it was a great message to all. I'm not identifying the sender.

"I would like to ditto your msg on the bickering on this site. This a a priceless site! I am not a mechanic by trade...I need help on things...some simple and some difficult. I have had the "pie in the face" several times on this site. I've been a member for nearly three years and at least 3 times I've had the "geeezzzz...don't you know any better than that?" stuff rubbed under my nose. Because of this I rarely chime in.

I own an all original '36 Ford Sedan which belonged to my parents....I piddle with it constantly and don't care if it is a show car or not. We drive it every Summer for approximately 500 miles or so and really enjoy it.

Guess life always has the smart asses to put you down.....
signed,
...a fellow thin skinned car buff."

I think I can safely say, without exception, we have all asked what others might think is a "stupid question" at some time in our lives and know how it feels to get a response suggesting the it is such. We should all think of those times when we are tempted to belittle a question that is new for the asker but old stuff for the rest of us. We all had to start someplace.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Hey Old Henry....whoever that guy is (and I'm really not looking for a name) tell him we said get himself on back here and by all means chime in/ask questions....as many questions as he wishes. Not everyone here will throw "pie in his face" in fact I would say that would only be done by a very small minority of members here and they can/should be ignored. Many of us here really enjoy this hobby and helping other folks who own these old Fords, and need some help now and then, or quite often for that matter!! Sometimes what is posted can be easily mistaken as a smart ass remark especially if no smilies or wink winks are added to what's been said. Having semi thick skin is only sometimes necessary here but may be a plus factor to have in some cases.....and this is all JMHO.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
37slantback

I always find it fascinating that one guy can ask a question and people fall over themselves to help and then some other poor bastard asks a question and gets skewered. I read them to my wife to see if she can spot the difference in how the question was asked and then usually shrug and we laugh.
37slantback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
Vic Piano

Unfortunately, regardless of the subject matter being discussed, when you have open forums on the internet, you’ll find several types of participants. First, and thankfully foremost in most cases, you will have people that have a genuine interest in the subject being discussed, along with a willingness to learn and share their knowledge with others. Then you have those that just like to stir things up while enjoying the anonymity provided by the internet, and not really contributing any worthwhile information. The third (and most annoying in my opinion) type are those who consider themselves indisputable experts on any or all aspects of the topic being discussed. And, when their self-proclaimed expertise is brought into question by other contributors, they recoil and fire back with additional self promotion, while never providing evidence to substantiate their claims of omnipotence, which only serves to further erode their credibility.

After you’ve spent some time on the forum, you’ll be able to recognize those who know what they are talking about and those who don’t. Vic
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
FL&WVMIKE

VIC PIANO .........................
Very well said !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
rotorwrench

NO matter where you go on line, you need to grow a thick hide. Folks will tell you lots more things in the dark when you can't see them than they will in the light face to face and a good bit of it will likely be something you may not care for. It's just human nature.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
pauldeborr

Here is a quote from a good freind, "Eat the fish and spit out the bones".

I take in the information I want and I ignore the rest.
pauldeborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #20
Fibber Mcgee

I think one thing no one mentioned is you can't tell if some one is mad or kidding or how they mean it when they type something.You lose the emotion in the typing.I like to joke a little and could see how it could be taken wrong,but the info on here is great and the people are too.I'll bet a lot of stuff gets misinterpeted on here but its alot tamer than hamb.