Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Who all going to Aurburn National Meet?

We plan on going to Aurburn which I know will be a great meet. I am taking my 50 Crestliner. It a decent car for a Junker as dad always called my cars.He us to say where in the he** did you find that junker. I alao plan on judging the 39 fords to learn all I can.Looking forward to seeing all you.Swap meet usually is great also.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Don Rogers

Default Re: Who all going to Aurburn National Meet?

See You there!!

Don Rogers
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
37 Coupe

I would like to take my 37 to at least one national meet someday and Auburn would be the closest to me unless another was held in Ohio which is doubtfull I guess. But I do have a question, not withstanding the drive how do you guys cope with the weather extremes anymore? I would think the best scenario would be an enclosed trailer to at least to be able to put it away at a meet especially at night. The reason I ask is the storms and hail that we have had lately,frequently and larger then I have ever seen. Do you not worry about it? Leave it to insurance? Myself I would be sick and no amount of insurance could replace but that was not always the case, cars are more valuable today and sentimental value can not be replaced. I can see if you had a collection of cars no big deal,what is one but what about the guys who have just one special car, do you leave it out night after night at a national and not worry about it,weather or thieves? We use to take off to Dearborn at every big meet they had at the Hyatt since 1973 and other nationals like Valley Forge and Atlanta in 1977,but last couple times at Hyatt was scary. Another problem these days is Ebay has shown the world what car parts can bring I imagine a set of Spyders to a thief might look pretty inviting as copper plumbing. I wouldn't mind driving my 37 to Auburn as much as leaving it out, can't be that much security at every motel, I think we got the last room at V8 rates and it is a drive to everything else from Hampton,looks like ,never been to Auburn before. What I really wish was someone around here had a rig to rent.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

So far we never have had a problem with someone theft as far as I know. Weather has been good. I have a enclose trailer but never put it in at a National meet.I always try to park close to my room where I can look out to see the car.We all try to look ou6t for each other. You can use a waterproff car cover some do and that ok.All the car people at the National meet are very upstanding people and I am sure there nothing to worry about.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Vic Piano

Like Ken said, there are very seldom, if ever, any problems with theft and/or vandalism at a EFV8C National Meet. Over the years that I was a member, I drove our cars to several National Meets and never had a problem with security. The weather however is something no one can control. My advice would be to drive your '37 to a National and enjoy it. Vic
Old 07-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Cecil/WV

See you all there!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Ford46

I'll be heading out there and I know of several cars from Connecticut that are driving out. See you there. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
TonyM

I will be there.

TonyM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Ken, God willing I'll be there. I'm all signed up, registered and ready to go. Had a great time in Saratoga Springs and really looking forward to Auburn. I spent some time looking at the maps last night trying to decide which route to take. I'm considering taking Rt 30, Lincoln Highway from Lancaster, PA to Auburn, Indiana. I would rather take my time and do a leisurely drive than take the PA and OH Turnpikes or other Interstate routes. I'm hoping to see many of my existing V8ing friends and also meet some new friends.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-22-2011 at 12:59 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Kens 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
We plan on going to Aurburn which I know will be a great meet. I am taking my 50 Crestliner. It a decent car for a Junker as dad always called my cars.He us to say where in the he** did you find that junker. I alao plan on judging the 39 fords to learn all I can.Looking forward to seeing all you.Swap meet usually is great also.
Ken,

We are coming with a group of about 23 from Northern Illinois. My wife will be driving our '50 Crestliner, I'll drive my '36 Roadster. The convertible gets to rest after 1,958 miles roundrtip to Saratoga Springs. See you there.

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Byron Warwick

Auburn will be our first National meet. I hope to meet many of the friends I have made on the Barn. It is about 250 miles from Corunna Ontario. Byron
Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
ford38v8

37Coupe, Regarding security, in addition to watching out for each other, Meet organizers do hire off duty police, mobile security patrols, and/or provide their own volunteer personnel, plus the hotels provide security, as they are ultimately responsible for what happens on the property. Really, though, we all know a V8er from the locals wherever we are. There's that something odd about a V8er that is so recognizable, you know?

For security against inclement weather, waterproof car covers are very common for overnight, which also would protect against all but the largest of hailstones. I've seen shorty clear covers for ragtops used during the Concourse when rainy that are acceptable for judging purposes.

FYI, we all agree that sadly, the Dearborn Hyatt has seen better days, and it is clear that there will not be a Meet in Dearborn for the foreseeable future. The next Grand National will be held at Harrahs Tahoe in Lake Tahoe, Nevada, 2013. This will be the 50th anniversary of the V8 Club, and is expected to draw the largest number of V8's ever seen on any Concourse. ...Security at Harrahs, while not publicized, rivals the Secret Service!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Randy/In

I will be there, and will be working in the safety inspection tent. come by and say hello. Randy
Randy/In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
jerry grayson

I will be there!!!!!!!!!
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
37 Coupe

I can see where this would be a lot better than the Hyatt experience as most if not all of the registered guest would be V8ers,not the case at the Dearborn Hyatt and its parking lot. It was either the 2003 Grand National or mayby it was the 75th in 2007 that one guy I never got his name but I think he was in the club had his truck full of NOS parts stolen in broad daylight while he was checking in, and another had a Suburban stolen either there or somewhere in Dearborn ,it was replaceable but some literature that was being donated to Ford Foundation was lost. Suburbans are hot items in Detroit/Dearborn.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
Steve/IL

We will be there again with our 32 Sedan Delivery and will also be swapping. I'm just finishing up installing a 3.54 gear so the darn thing will go faster than 45! I've got an 8BA ready to replace the 4 cylinder, but that will have to wait until the weather cools off. Please stop by the big white vee nose trailer in the swap meet to say Hi.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #17
Lawson Cox

Jerry Grayson and I will be there to see 35-36 pickups, parts to photograph etc, then on to Archives again. Hopefully it will be a successful sojourn this time.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Jerry Grayson and I will be there to see 35-36 pickups, parts to photograph etc, then on to Archives again. Hopefully it will be a successful sojourn this time.
Hey Lawson you mean your going to an out of state meet,i'll see you there,will be good to see you again. And will be at Hiawassie in 2012.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
Lawson Cox

Hey Ken, I have been to MANY out of state meets. Western National in 92 (drove 6000 miles round trip in 39 Mercury Coupe. Of course, that was back when funds were plentiful. lol
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Django

We'll be there with 3 cars.