Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: TOTAL RESTORATION Question
Dealership Floor 8 38.10%
Crossed the Dealership Curb 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
MrTube

Default Re: Restoration Goal

What!? One of the cheapest and "best bang for your buck" cars didn't have a perfect paint job!? I find that hard to believe! /sarcasm.

I'm willing to bet Chief was right.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Nemo View Post
Brent, for us older folks it isn't so hard to remember what happened 40 years and beyond. Remembering what I had for breakfast is what is giving me a bit of a problem right now!
Ba ha ha hahaha!!! I can totally relate even at my age!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
What!? One of the cheapest and "best bang for your buck" cars didn't have a perfect paint job!? I find that hard to believe! /sarcasm.

I'm willing to bet Chief was right.
So I guess I do not understand your sarcasm. What defines a perfect paint job? Is it one that is free of dents & dings? Is it one that the panels all align? Is it one where the paint has a gloss? Is it one without any trash in the paint?

I would agree that often times we see Model A's that are over-restored (base coat paint, lots of clear, etc.) but based on factory photos of the assembly line, they did have a Quality Control process that would likely have not allowed a vehicle to leave the Branch with 'Dings & Dents'.

Remember that these bodies were all assembled in jigs & fixtures so the panels did align. I do agree the pigments in the Lacquer paint was not as pure when compared to modern paints of today however they definitely did have a shine because we have written procedures and pictures substantiating how the paint was buffed. Look at the attached pictures.
So in reality, just how bad do we think these cars were? I tend to side that with a body that had the panels (doors, deck lid, etc.) all aligned and did not have any dents, and with paint that was buffed, it wasn't that bad. Probably just about like paint jobs on a new car today without all the clear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1186010607phprYDbAI.jpg (71.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg assembly_line-02.jpeg (73.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (26.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg b4.jpg (20.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (24.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg b8.jpg (24.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg b9.jpg (19.0 KB, 38 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
Russ/40

I'm not sure any of the above serve the intent of the original question. Especially noting the subscript he has with every post. But I'll just put my thoughts into play. When I first found my truck some 30 years ago, I had every intention to go for a high point restoration. Age, ability and funding now somewhat limited on a fixed income, my goals have changed. I want to do the car justice, so within reason, I strive to have it right, as to components. Now my aim is to experience as purely as possible, what it felt like to drive a brand newly purchased vehicle off the lot. Exact finish details don't come into play with that goal. I want to have my experience before I die. Having lost some dear friends way before their time, tends to make you think twice as to life's expectations. Have I answered the intent of the original question? Oh, I don't know. . . . . . .
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
Gumpy

Arrow Re: Restoration Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckster Dave View Post
Just doing it to suit my needs, wants and happiness. It is mine and doing it my way.
I agree,,,,unless it's going before the judges which my car never will,,,it's done my way after all im spending the money!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Roadster62

At 13-8 it looks like the Mom and Dad with two kids in the back are smiling as they leave a lonely Model A on the showroon floor. Rare is the car that has a history you can trace to the original owner. I posted the question to see if you thought a car gained a "personality" once is was purchased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
For those considering a TOTAL "as new" RESTORATION is your goal a car on the dealership floor or a car as it crossed the curb with its first owner?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
Airsho93

Talking Re: Restoration Goal

My goal is not that perfect. My goal is to get this 30 A Coupe. Road ready, safe, and do some road trips for the experience. I do want it as original as possible and looking pretty good which in time I think I can do with the help of you guyses suggestions and help in understanding the A. Thanks
Airsho93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #27
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
He said the Model A fenders, splash shields and radiator splash shields were very smooth & shiny, but he said the bodies looked like he & I sprayed them in the driveway.
Could that be due to the aprons and fenders being dipped in enamel as opposed to the body being sprayed with laquer?
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote