Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2024, 01:18 PM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default Photo request: Page 11, "Model A News"

I am installing replated bumperettes in the rear of a 1929 Model A under restoration and need to see the photo on page 11 of the recent MARC "Model A News" that supposedly shows the black sprayed area on the forward most portion of the bars. This was a 1928-29 feature that I have rarely seen. Usually guys just leave the ends shiny chrome. But I want to replicate how this area was finished for 1929 with the 4 1/2" to 5" area sprayed gloss black. As long as credit is given to the magazine and maybe to the author, there shouldn't be any legal or ethical problem with scanning this page and posting it here.
Thanks!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:45 PM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: Photo request: Page 11, "Model A News"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
I am installing replated bumperettes in the rear of a 1929 Model A under restoration and need to see the photo on page 11 of the recent MARC "Model A News" that supposedly shows the black sprayed area on the forward most portion of the bars. This was a 1928-29 feature that I have rarely seen. Usually guys just leave the ends shiny chrome. But I want to replicate how this area was finished for 1929 with the 4 1/2" to 5" area sprayed gloss black. As long as credit is given to the magazine and maybe to the author, there shouldn't be any legal or ethical problem with scanning this page and posting it here.
Thanks!
Marshall
Seems like you have a good enough reason to join MARC and get all the magazines with all the info.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:56 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Marshall, these are pictures I took at the World Meet of the late Davey Lopez's all original '29 Fordor. I likely have some others elsewhere if you need more.

All we do in my shop is tape the bars with masking tape leaving the riveted end unmasked. Then we mediablast the ends on both sides to give the paint something to grip to. They were originally dipped, so it should have a clean edge where it was dipped and the removed to dry. I hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dadscamera_dallas2008_judging 148.JPG (51.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg dadscamera_dallas2008_judging 149.JPG (69.9 KB, 81 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:51 PM   #4
Vern

As you requested Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1224.jpg (59.8 KB, 83 views)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:41 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Thank you, Brent and Vern. Just what the doctor ordered! Full speed ahead with my roll of masking tape and can of gloss black spray.
Marshall
Old 04-30-2024, 08:56 PM   #6
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Seems like you have a good enough reason to join MARC and get all the magazines with all the info.
Agree!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:35 AM   #7
rackops

This is one of those details I look for when someone claims their car is a "perfect" or "showroom" restoration. Same goes for when someone says their car is completely "original"...but lacks any trace of paint on the bumpers.

If someone is trying to restore a car back to 100% original, this is a pretty big detail to miss. Not saying you can't have a really nice car without the paint. However, if someone is trying to make the car look the way it was when it was new, this is a pretty significant detail.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:32 AM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

Thanks for the supporting comment, rackops. I was beginning to think I'm being too anal about a detail that not 1 in 50 Model A owners would notice or even know about. I was not aware of this obscure finishing detail for 1928-29 Model A's until I got knee-deep into this car's restoration. All those many years of restoring Model A's and I somehow had missed this odd feature. I need to read the "JS" a little closer - although a photo of the area in question accompanying the paragraph describing the paint location on the bumperettes would have been helpful. Maybe in the next "JS" iteration?
Marshall