Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
RetiredLE

Default Parts identification (turn signals)

City: Anacortes
State: WA
Price: ??

I am putting together a list of some Model AA parts that I have laying around and ran across these items. They appear to be mechanically operated turn signals, but so far I have been unable to figure out what model or type of vehicle they were originally installed on.

The pair were part of a collection of parts that came with a 1930 Model AA truck that I purchased about thirty years ago. A plate riveted on each unit states "Safety Truck Signal". An internet search using that term was unsuccessful.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to application, or a direction to look, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Safety Truck Signal One.jpg (51.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Safety Truck Signal Two.jpg (74.2 KB, 37 views)
RetiredLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Parts identification (turn signals)

I stole this from Wiki:
They first appeared in the 1900s when they were actuated either mechanically or pneumatically. In 1908 Alfredo Barrachini in Rome had added electric lights inside the arms that turned on as they extended but operation was still by a cable system. Electric operation came in 1918 when the Naillik Motor Signal Company of Boston added electric motor drive. This system was superseded by two French inventors, Gustave Deneef and Maurice Boisson, who used a linear solenoid in 1923. The final complete system came in 1927 when Berlin-based Max Ruhl and Ernst Neuman combined internal illumination and solenoid operation.
The shape of the Trafficator arm is closely based upon the shape of the semaphore signal arm used by the Royal Bavarian Railway beginning in 1890. The only difference from the railway arm is that it is halved down its length so as to fit flush with the vehicle's exterior.
They were common on vehicles until the introduction of the flashing amber or red indicators at or near the corners of the vehicle (and often along the sides as well). They have been increasingly rare since the 1950s, as ever-tightening legislation has prescribed the need for the modern type of flashing signal. Many historic vehicles that are used on today's roads have had their trafficators supplemented or replaced with modern indicators to aid visibility and to meet legislative requirements.
Got this from "Vintage Truck":
Dodgeboy,
I have a small collection of arm signals (semaphores). All are illuminated. The switch that turns the lamp on is a button that mounts on the handle inside the cab. When in the lowered position, the button is depressed and the circuit is open. When the handle is moved to "slow", "left" or "right" the button is released and the lamp is lighted.
They were used on trucks before the introduction of the turn signal flasher and were on "steady" when activated.
The plastic is amber.
Jim
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
RetiredLE

Thank you for the reply. Wonder what they're worth if anything......
Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
mercmandan

Send a message via MSN to mercmandan

let me know what ya want for them. thx
mercmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
RetiredLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmandan View Post
let me know what ya want for them. thx
You may be out of luck as a friend of mine has someone that wants them. This is what prompted my initial post to try and figure out what if anything they are worth.

PM sent. Thanks for the inquiry.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Bob C

This link shows some mounted on truck cabs.
http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2...pic128499.aspx

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
RetiredLE

Thanks for the link. I am thinking that maybe these items were installed on commercial sized trucks (Model AA and bigger versus cars or pickups).
Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Bruce

Sorry it took almost a week to get my stuff together to post my 2 cents. Also sorry to see how badly the semaphore turn signals on our Roadster show in a close up photo. They need to be restored!
The turn signals have been on the Roadster for at least 20 years. I think they are European after market items. They are 12 volt and operate from a typical stalk switch on the left of the steering column. The yellow part lights up. When we got the car it had a small yard tractor battery in the trunk just to operate the doodads. The rest of the cars is 6V. I do not carry the auxillary battery because there is not enough room in the trunk even without it. Interestingly, folks ask about the extra turn signals even without them being "unfurled." They really are beyond the normal.
(I used the extra battery last night to jump the Cub Cadet, which pooped out way out there in the yard. I've no excuse for not having the semaphores fired up!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.7 KB, 10 views)
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote