Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2023, 11:21 AM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: My First Flathead! 35 Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTim View Post
The mods that I know of are the following.

Another question. Previous owner has added a switch to provide power directly to the “-“ post of the coil. When I got the car, that wire at the distributor was disconnected. Why would you put this wire on the same side that goes to the distributor? Isn’t that bypassing the resistance in the coil?
This is usually done if you have a hard-starting engine. It momentarily (when you flip the switch) supplies a full 6v to the coil to aid in starting. Just remember to flip the switch back after she cranks up. BELOW is a picture of "Charlie ny" testing someone's new carb rebuild on his test engine.

Charlie ny - Contact

[email protected] (716) 440-8952 OR (716) 662-9159

Charlie Schwindler
5845 Cole Road
Orchard Park NY 14127

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:00 PM   #42
deuce_roadster

What Kube said x3.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:46 PM   #43
AnthonyG

Quote:
Hello all,

New here. Always wanted a 30’s Ford car. Just recently picked up a really clean and mostly original 35 Standard Tudor.

Original 81k car. Bought from second owner.
Original interior
Repainted once in the 60’s.
Mostly original except juice brakes (good thing). Engine rebuilt a few thousand miles ago.

It has been sitting for about 20 years but in the dry.

So far I haven’t been able to get it started. No spark coming from the distributor. I have spark coming from the coil. Condenser and coil test good.

No clue or experience with one of these distributors. Should I fix this or look for an adapter and swap to a crab style distributor?

Nice ‘35 flat back! Favored in many circles! Looks like mine’s twin when I bought mine! I wasn’t an early ford or a Flathead guy but am now! Loved the project. I went w newer version 8BA but built it w crab Dist on front of engine. I’ve had mine since 2012! U will love & enjoy it. I’ll keep an eye out & if I can help w anything feel free to contact me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3794.jpg (8.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (51.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4012.jpg (20.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #44
Steve in Denver

Yes, do keep it stock. Speaking of that, get rid of that little thing that does not filter the air. Someone else can clarify it, but if '35 uses the same air filter as '36, I may know of one available.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #45
Terry,OH

If you check with Mac VanPelt web site you can find the original wiring diagram. For Ford the battery - goes to a resistor mounted under the dash above the steering column it then goes to the ignition switch. From the ignition switch to the coil and from the coil to ground+ through the distributor points Don't run an original coil without the resistor. An do not leave the ignition switch in the ON position if the engine has stalled. Both of these can destroy the original coil.
The resistor drops the voltage to the coil to about 2.6V. When you check the voltage at the coil, if the distributor points are both open you will find full battery voltage, with either of the two distributor points closed you will have the 2.6 Volts.

Your car does appear in great condition. Over the years several modifications have been done, which is very typical of an unrestored original car. IMO get the car running dependably is a great start.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #46
TNTim

So I went out and tried to start again. Fired right up! So something is going on when it gets up to temp. I first thought vapor lock but I only drove the car easy a few miles.

I found this over on the HAMB

"Be aware that tired coils do about the same as Chinese condensers...power drops off as car gets up to running temp, deteriorates, then no longer runs. Everything back to fine after half an hour of cooling down."

The coil i put on was a used Argentina made coil. No idea other than it measured ok. I also made sure the inline resistor was connected as well.
TNTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:33 PM   #47
Terry,OH

Yes both the ignition condenser and the coil can become problems with heat. typically NAPA has fairly good condensers and an original Ford coil rebuilt by Skip Haney in Fla is a good combination. Skip can provide the condenser also as well as rebuilding water pumps, and other items. Skip often has original coil cores.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #48
35fordtn

You should send the coil to skip haney. Be certain you have 34-36 degrees of dwell in the distributor and replace the condenser. We sell original type condensers that last

https://thirdgenauto.com/product/193...oil-condenser/
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:26 AM   #49
TNTim

I’ve got a later distributor and coil. 2 screw coil.

It did the same thing tonight. Warmed it up and tried to restart and nothing. Waited about 30 min and it fired right up.

It stays running but if I shut it down and restart it will not fire until i let it cool down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0869.jpg (52.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.jpg (57.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-13-2023, 12:21 PM   #50
petehoovie

Quote:
I’ve got a later distributor and coil. 2 screw coil.

It did the same thing tonight. Warmed it up and tried to restart and nothing. Waited about 30 min and it fired right up.

It stays running but if I shut it down and restart it will not fire until i let it cool down.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:00 PM   #51
deuce_roadster

Keep in mind, that white "cloth like" connection on the hot air out of the manifold is made of ASBESTOS. Even if the system is CO proof, the chance of breathing asbestos fibers should concern you.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:43 AM   #52
Terry,OH

TNTim: Check posting #47 above. Your ignition condenser appears to be NOS which is way tooooo old since they can deteriorate with age. If your coil does not have the Ford script on top, it is aftermarket and Skip may have an original core. With the distributor off your vehicle now is a good time to take it apart and clean and lube.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:08 PM   #53
TNTim

Got my rebuilt coil back from Skip. He had a Ford script coil which was awesome. Got it put on and only had time to fire it up to see that it works. Need to get time to let it run awhile.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:11 PM   #54
TNTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
TNTim: Check posting #47 above. Your ignition condenser appears to be NOS which is way tooooo old since they can deteriorate with age. If your coil does not have the Ford script on top, it is aftermarket and Skip may have an original core. With the distributor off your vehicle now is a good time to take it apart and clean and lube.
I did check the Vacuum and lubed it. I was afraid to take a lot apart as it would need to be setup on a machine I assume.