Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Shoebox

Default 53 merc cam specs & source

My next flatty will probably be around 276 cubes, and will be going into a sedan, not a light roadster or shoebox Ford (my last engine). After reading JWL's book, I was surprised how much low and midrange power was LOST with even a mild cam, specifically an Isky Max 1. I WANT low and midrange power and I believe that a stock '53 Merc cam might be a reasonable choice. I would like to know what the specs were for that cam and who might be a good source for grinding one on either or both early and 8BA cores?

Thanks guys!

Shoebox
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Craig CT

Default Re: 53 merc cam specs & source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
My next flatty will probably be around 276 cubes, and will be going into a sedan, not a light roadster or shoebox Ford (my last engine). After reading JWL's book, I was surprised how much low and midrange power was LOST with even a mild cam, specifically an Isky Max 1. I WANT low and midrange power and I believe that a stock '53 Merc cam might be a reasonable choice. I would like to know what the specs were for that cam and who might be a good source for grinding one on either or both early and 8BA cores?

Thanks guys!

Shoebox
Hi Shoebox; PM Pete from D&L Automachine in Elbe WA. He'll help you with a choice of cam and grind it for you. He posts here under Pete. Good luck, Craig.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
KiWinUS

G'Day Shoebox , we can grind you a Merc cam , besides the KiWi-L100 cam we have a stock Merc grind some Isky grinds & a few others . PM me if we can be of any assistance to you !
Cheers
KiWi-tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
john in illinois

This site has 8CM specs and a lot of information. I am having a merc cam modified to fit my 59A.I decide that from JWL book and my rebuilder. Also 276.

http://tildentechnologies.com/Cams/F...rformance.html

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
flatjack9

Where in Wisconsin are you? Howard's Cams is right here in Oshkosh. They have ground a number of cams for me. They can do a 8CM grind.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
tubman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just curious. '53 Mercury has been mentioned as well as 8CM. I thought 8CM was '49-'50 Merc (1CM being '51). '52-'53 Merc was EAC. Is there a difference in the the cams?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just curious. '53 Mercury has been mentioned as well as 8CM. I thought 8CM was '49-'50 Merc (1CM being '51). '52-'53 Merc was EAC. Is there a difference in the the cams?
Hi tubman; Yes. I don't know how to do links but oldford2 started a thread on 08-26-2011 at 9:45AM that jdl posted a lot of specs. on, Craig.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
Shoebox

Hi Craig Ct,
"Pete" was quick to PM me after my post, seems to be an an extremely knowledgeable guy! I spent like an hour crafting a reply with all the info he needed for an informed reply and when I went to send, seems I was like "timed out"........ lost it all, reminds me of the old AOL days.....pissed, going to bed.

Shoebox
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #9
tubman

Here's tbe link Craig CT referenced :https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45851

The way I read it, it looks like the 8CM cam has the most lift, the EAB the most duration, while the 1CM ('51-'53 Merc) has less than both of those. I was going to use the cam and matching lifters out of a '51 Merc I was going to do up in one of my "econo-build" 8BA's, but now I don't know.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

Just to save money, I'm using an EAB cam from the 52/3 ford in the 280. Low end torque is hard to belive and it pulls OD from 30 on up. Looking forward to the mileage tests.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
flatjack9

EAB cams seem to be inconsistent. I've had some that have 8BA lift and some that have 8CM lift.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
tubman

So the bottom line is that I put a dial indicator on my 1CM and see what I really have.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
flatjack9

Only way to know for sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
EAB cams seem to be inconsistent. I've had some that have 8BA lift and some that have 8CM lift.
I've seen inconsistencies too. I have two lightly used reground EAB cams that I purchased 3K mi away from each other. Both of them are short on the lift on #7 intake and #8 exhaust compared to other lobes. Almost like faulty masters were issued to authorized grinders.

I'm also interested in a TRUE Mercury 8CM grind. PM me if anyone out there can do it.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 03-30-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #15
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
All cams out of old engines are inconsistent.
Some may have been reground 3 or 4 times or more.
A common way of regrinding a stock cam if the core has more than .020 nose wear is to regrind it with a grind from a different model with lower lift to keep from taking excessive material off the base circle.
This makes it easier to re-assemble with all stock parts.(no adjustable lifters or long stem valves) Keeps the cost down.
It degrades the performance slightly though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote