Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
epw1949

Default Chrome platters in new england

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD RELIABLE PLATER,THAT DOES GOOD QUALITY WORK? I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS HAD PLATING DONE,AND ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE CHROME. I WOULD LIKE TO GET A 34 GRILLE PLATED. PLEASE PM ME,OR EMAIL [email protected] THANKS,ED

Last edited by epw1949; 09-18-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Misspell
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
wisbangman

Default Re: Chrome platters in new england

I have had many parts plated over the years. I live in Oshkosh Wis. I have had plating done here in Wisconsin, and have sent parts to Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Virginia. Never been perfectly happy, there is price, time, and quality. Never found all three at one place. I would take someones advice on the best quality, and would not be afraid to send it to where ever that is. I sent a 39 windshield frame to Richmond Virginia. That time, I got price and about a 7 out of 10 on quality. good luck
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
19Fordy

I've not had any pieces chromed by them but here's New England Plating.
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...e-plating.html
What ever company you decide upon ask them if they use the hexavalent or tri-valent chrome plating process. Do some reading on both prior to talking with your plater.
http://www.newmoa.org/prevention/p2t...hromeFinal.pdf

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-18-2015 at 12:46 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Kahuna

My wife has a chrome platter. Oh sorry, forget it. it's silver
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
V12Bill

I have had bad experience at many shops. Nu Chrome was one of the few shops that did a decent job, in a reasonable time period and at a decent cost.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Bob NH

Ed, Carl S. had given me a name of a plater in the Dover/Rochester area some time back. Is that company no longer in business ? I used a company named "South Shore Plating Co." some years ago, not sure if they are still around or gone. Did a nice job for me.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Because of environmental laws a lot of chrome platting shops have closed down. Done correctly it is a slow labor intensive undertaking involving many steps. Time and money become a big issue, so most figure ways to cut corners.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
42guy

In Syracuse which is central New York there is a shop that several of my friends have used and the work has been very good. I do not know the name of the place.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
revenski

Here's my experience with New England Chrome Plating:

Beware of New England Chrome Plating. You may get lucky there, or you may get what I got. I brought my grill from a 1938 Ford One Ton truck to Dean at NEC on March 24, 2015 to be re-chromed. He gave me a price of $2500 plus tax and recovery fees and an estimate completion time of 8 weeks. I finally got the grill back on July 31, four months later. The long wait would not have been bad if the job were done well. However, the plating job was generally very poor quality.

After getting evaluations from other plating companies, I returned to Dean to express my dissatisfaction and to get the job re-done. After a lengthy discussion where I gave Dean several facts about how and why the job was poor quality, Dean grabbed the grill, said he would re-do it and flung it aside. He told me the grill would be done in four weeks. I called several times, and finally on October 21, another two and a half months, the ordeal came to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

I got my grill back and a check for most of the payment I had given him. The problem is that Dean had the grill sand blasted and caused damage to it including holes through the metal. Now I need to have the grill repaired before it can be plated. All of this is an additional expense to me. Dean seemed to be fully aware of the worsened condition of the grill as demonstrated by what he said to me. This is a direct quote: “You won’t find anyone to do that job for less than $4500 to $6000 now.”

I don’t think that Dean Malinguaggio is to be trusted with your one-off parts.
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
FireEngineMike

Consider sending your parts to Canada for chrome plating. Their environmental laws are not as extreme and people have told me that the chrome is better.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
bbrust

I've used Librandi's (Harrisburg, PA) several time and have always been satisfied with their work. There website is: http://carchrome.com/. Bob
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
V12Bill

Labrandi's did a good job for me, but a piece that was supposed to be gold plated, was chrome plated. I paid $250.00 for the chrome plate that I didn't want and he turned around and charged an additional $250 for the gold plate. He had explicit instructions that the part should be gold plated in the first place. My last trip there.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Dave/Green Bay

I have been using the Chrome Shop in Menasha Wisconsin for over 20 years. Not cheap but outstanding work. Dave/Green Bay

http://www.thechromeshopinc.com/
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
topchop

42Guy mentioned the chrome shop in Syracuse N.Y. just a short distance from the Syracuse Fairgrounds.

Sandys Bumper Mart (yup, that's their name).

http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/

Have had the '47 bumpers done and very pleased, and have referred others and they are sarisfied.

Apparently, They've been there for years.
topchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
fordor41

Pauls Chrome Plating, Evans City, Pa. Did a super job on my '41 cast grill. So nice I hated to put it on my car!!!
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
PeterC

I know you are looking for New England vendors - but I would suggest seeking the best chrome shops rather than closeness to you as a priority. Poor work and questionable practices can really ruin your day and your pocket book. I entrusted my 35 coupes chrome jewels to Jon Wright including the intricate grille - flawless work - expensive but done right the first time.

www,customchromeplating.com

963 Mechanic St, Grafton, OH 44044
(440) 926-3116

Last edited by PeterC; 10-22-2015 at 08:13 AM.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
Deuce Man

Jon Wright is the MAN! Jon is a car guy, his cars are always absoloutely flawlwss, so is his chrome plating, Remember "quality isnt cheap, and cheap isnt quality" google Custom Chrome, Grafton Ohio. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
robert dick

i have had great results from New England Chrome Plating,they did a lot of work for me on my 36 as well as my dodge pu.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
jaysberman

Not New England , but Advanced Plating in Tennessee has all ways done a great job for me.
Not the cheapest, but their work is spot on.
jaysberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #20
rockfla

It's interesting to read all this about chrome platters, the best I can take from all the post is its a "hit or miss" proposition at best with any of them as for every "Good" report, there is a "NOT SO GOOD" report. As for the above and Advanced Plating....They did the majority of the chrome plating on our 32 and the majority of their work was good. We had to send three or four pieces back to have them redone, which they did.....BUT....as for their customer service for all that we sent....that leaves a lot to be desired....they are independent as hell and are gonna due it their way ONLY. We sent two different orders the first had 69 pieces, the second 71 pieces...so were weren't just spending a few hundred dollars. We asked for about four or five pieces to be done first....critical pieces we needed to keep progress going on the car.....they were the LAST pieces they did!!!.....AND then was asked to notify us two weeks before the order was ready so we could send in the payment (check) and have it clear and good to go when the order was complete....They didn't make that happen...so we sat for two extra weeks on BOTH orders waiting for our payments to clear before they shipped our orders. SO....would I recommend them I guess but they are not I my opinion the be all to end all. We also had Graves Plating in Florence AL. plate our grill on our 35, he did a good job and was what we thought to be reasonable and did exactly what he said he would do, in the exact time he specified and shipped exactly how we requested he ship it. Cant ask for more than that.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote