Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #81
Jordan

Default Re: Electronic Ignition Opinions Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
Actually that is probably not the case in many applications. Mine was installed properly, and user error did not come into play. Mine worked for 1,000's of miles and then blew and left me on the side of the road. Interesting though, you say you never have to worry about it failing, but you carry an extra in the trunk.
When I go on a roadtrip, I carry a spare of everything. I prepare my car so I don't have to work on it on the side of the road. But accidents happen. I also let my sister and other people drive my car frequently whenever I'm not around. So yes, I keep a spare incase user error were to come into play.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #82
barkleydave

Well after reviewing all this I wish I had never asked!

Ole Rainmaker Ron did my 12V conversion (notice I did not say upgrade)

Since I have been testing Pertronix Billet Dist.'s in my boat for a field test I have found in a two year period on the water 12 months/24/7 both units have provided reliable performance. (Replaced an OEM Chrysler 80/s ECM system) Pertronix was working on improving corrosion resistance in the marine version of their distributors.

OK...Rainmaker Ron likes FS and while I have not had much time with it my past experience has been positive.

Like or dislike: I have been left on the shoulder using points/ and electronic so it happens!

My old MGA is using org. Lucas point system.. and has been flawless for 15 years! So much for "Prince of Darkness" bashing. LOL

As to cost... I spent 70 bucks the other night with my better half having ONE nice dinner for two! So 60 bucks for a spare ignition system.. sounds ok to me.

Bottom line: Whatever your A likes stick with it and your personal comfort zone.

40 HP not exactly a high performance dragster!

Lets enjoy our A's
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #83
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
As a dealer for FS ignitions, I can tell you that it is a quality product, ...now, however I have seen quite a few failures over the years and I have warrantied many more than I can count. In other words, when they worked, folks were happy but when they failed, folks were stressed and unhappy!!

For several years we actually installed them in almost every car that went out of the shop. The reason I stopped is in my view, the reward was not worth the chance. By this I am suggesting the power advantage used to be there when no one was manufacturing good quality distributor cams or points. The benefit when those were not available definitely put an advantage towards the electronics however now it is different. Therefore the risk involved in accidentally leaving an ignition switch on to cause a module failure, or the expense of the unit vs. the good quality points, cam, and condenser, ...or the time necessary to make repairs/changeout after a failure is just not worth the effort/expense on 90% of typical Model-A applications IMHO.
Ditto !! I share your comments as well.......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #84
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I am fine with the personal choice of either the F/S ignition or the original points and condenser. However, a few years ago, when on a tour with my club, a Model A with F/S failed about 75 miles from home. No one in our club on the tour, including the owner, was familiar with F/S nor had any spare parts for it. I always carry a spare rebuilt stock distributor in my A. It was either spend about $300 for a tow or get the car to run. I had to rewire the disabled A back to stock, put in my rebuilt distributor, and time the car. I prefer the stock distributor because most of our club members run a stock distributor and I understand it. My spare distributor is timed to my car. It takes about 3 minutes to change distributors on the side of the road in the event of a distributor malfunction. JMO
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #85
glenn in camino

I had bad luck with electronic ignition, and went back to the stock distributor. Car runs better than ever. It's a heavily modified B engine in a deluxe delivery. Runs great.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #86
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Don't Kluge-up your A. If it is "different" when you have a problem on tour, there might not be anyone who can help you. Keep it original and get out of the way when you open the hood.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #87
DadOfTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Don't Kluge-up your A. If it is "different" when you have a problem on tour, there might not be anyone who can help you. Keep it original and get out of the way when you open the hood.
I'm weighing this topic as well, for my own car. And while I understand your sentiment, I would like to share a different perspective.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your 'get out of the way' comment, but instead I would recommend being / becoming the expert on your car.

Example: I went to breakfast last Saturday to check out a local club. A bunch of really great folks with really great cars. Unfortunately, one car didn't make it to the meet, and was left at a gas station. After breakfast a rescue party went out. About 8 friendly, well-meaning guys. Nothing against them, but only two were mechanically inclined and knowledgeable.

And those two were both fiddling with different things, to the point that we don't know what actually got the car running again. The owner was able to drive home, but it still wasn't running right, and nothing was learned to guide future troubleshooting.

And maybe it's just my personality. I don't mind a little help now and then, but I want to be the one working on my car.

If I put in an electronic ignition, then I will do it myself and know how it works, and how to troubleshoot it.

If I stick with all original ignition parts, I'm going to be the one who knows how it works and how to troubleshoot it.

Either way, I plan to carry spares and appropriate tools.

After all, if a group of us go out on a run and 'that guy' can't make it, then what?

My feeling is that the A is kind of a fiddly car, and the driver should strive to be capable of fiddling.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #88
DadOfTwo

With regard to the general question of 'electronic v. points', I'm really leaning toward the FSI Zipper. Mainly due to the centrifugal advance. I really like the idea of an automatic spark advance that is correct at all RPMs, rather than me paying attention, being able to hear the engine, and adjusting the lever manually. I think all this was said before, but wanted to emphasize the single overall reason I plan on going electronic.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #89
MrBruce

I agree with Brent, I've had one in the box for many years. When I have trouble with my current modern points (which I haven't for 25 years) I know exactly what to do. When you have trouble with the Electronics, you may just have to replace the complete distributor and finish the ride. To hard to diagnose on the road and who carries an extra electronic unit with them on a tour?
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #90
AL in NY

I lot of folks carry a whole spare distributor (valve=$150-$200) just in case they may have a problem on the road. But the same folks say it's too expensive to carry a spare ignition module (valve=$70), that's not a very good excuse for not putting electronic ignition in their cars. I've never had to touch my distributor in 8,000 miles using one, timing has not changed at all it that time. A very reliable system.

Last edited by AL in NY; 04-03-2015 at 09:08 AM.
AL in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #91
johnneilson

OK, somewhat relevant to Model A's.

My current race car (Mod B motor) has a full electronic engine management system.
Yes, this means fuel injection and ignition.
I built it from current modern day car parts that are readily available.
My thought is this, if on the road away from home base I can get parts from many different auto parts stores. And have.

Now, I have had both fail in my lifetime, the latest is a pretty funny story though.
It happened to a Friend, '30 Vicky, all stock including distributor and points.
While driving through Montrose California one morning, the points slipped open and it backfired a couple times. Now, in Montrose, sleepy little town, this brought a series of calls to the local PD and the neighborhood was swamped with cruisers looking for trouble. I flagged one down and informed him of the ignition trouble. I'll bet they had a good laugh from that one.

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

John
johnneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #92
Pete

Here is something to ponder.
There are millions of cars out there running electronic ignitions and they run for several hundred thousand miles before going to the junk yard. Many never have the ignition looked at in that time.
Therefore, why do model A's with electronic ignitions have such a bad rap???
The hardware itself seems to be pretty foolproof.
Is it faulty installation? I think in MANY cases, yes.
Is it because the kits are aftermarket equipment and therefore lower quality than OEM stuff???
Who knows?
I do know that I have installed quite a few after market kits over the years and have never had one fail.
Back in the old days the tool kit carried in my hot rod which I drove all over the country, consisted of a screwdriver which doubled for a beer can puncher/opener (before pull tabs) and a pair of pliers used primarily to hold a used beer can over a camp fire to heat water for coffee.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:59 AM   #93
Charlville

I've just had a second failure in three years. It's not so much the failure it's the fact that you can't really effect a repair when you are out on the road, unless of course you carry a spare module which is an expensive business. So, as a result I'm changing to points.
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #94
barkleydave

This is an area of opinions which will continue until the universe explodes.

Personal experience with Electronic Ign. has been good. I hear all the arguments pro and con and both have the same common contributing factors.

Improper installation:
* Poor ground (both points and Elec.)
* Worn Distrib/components (both points and Elec)
* Bad coil (both points and Elec)
* Wrong Coil (both points and Elec) Too high OHM, Too Low, External restistor etc.
* Left ignition on (both points and Elec)
* Over heating engine causing failures (both points and Elec)
* Shorts (both points and Elec)
* Worn points gap etc (points only)

I am sure there are many other examples. The cause of the failures generally are not related directly to points or mod. because of defects or quality. The failures common to both system are often external contributing to failures.

So keep use what you like.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #95
Art Newland

oops
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #96
Dick Steinkamp