Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2024, 02:39 PM   #1
Ronnieroadster

Default 1932 Ford Three Window Body Tag

I'm beginning another journey building my next 1932 Ford. This time its an original Three window so I'm now learning about another Ford. I have question which I hope I can help with along the way.

First question would the Murray body tag serial number help determine a possible production date of this body's or its place amongst the ID numbers?
Next question are the door bottoms available? I'm in need of one bottom structure for the driver side and the outer lower skin as well are these part available?

Sadly the original chassis was separated from the body over 40 years ago so I'm unable to determine its place in the production line.

Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 04-09-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:51 PM   #2
alchemy

Default Re: 1932 Ford Three Window Body Tag

There was a thread with a “registry” of 32 3-windows body numbers. I can’t remember if it was here or on the HAMB. Had a surprising number of bodies submitted.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:54 PM   #3
rockfla

This one.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...indow+registry
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:38 PM   #4
DavidG

Even if it were still as built, you would not be able to determine the coupe's production date as a whole vehicle with any accuracy beyond roughly plus or minus a month. If your body is original to the chassis frame and if it was originally a V8 and not a Model B four that you have, the V8 engine number (vin) stamped on the top of the left frame rail would be a better guide as to the probable date range of your coupe's final assembly.

The shortcoming of the body tag serialization is we do not know the date of when Murray started production of the bodies. It could have been as far back as late November, 1931 when the first Model B engines, chassis frames, and other major components were already in production recalling that it was a last minute decision to postpone vehicle production until a production version of the V8 engine had finally made it past the prototype stage in early March, 1932.

I believe that Brookville is the only game in town when it comes to '32 deluxe coupe sheet metal parts, except original floors as those have never been reproduced as original.

Last edited by DavidG; 04-09-2024 at 09:40 PM. Reason: omission of a important word
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:28 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

Thanks for information.

Looking at the registry I can see where the body falls in the Body line production. The Murray number is B520A-12384. Not an early body more like a mid production considering the number of three windows built in 1932. I enjoy learning some thing new every day.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:56 AM   #6
Lawrie

MY 34 3w has a new repo body number tag on it but no numbers,
I was thinking of stamping one in, but have no idea what to stamp other than the 3w code.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:30 AM   #7
Karl Wescott

Tom Bay in Kansas makes replacement steel door bottom outer patches, rocker panels, cowl patches, quarter patches, below deck panel replacement, and windshield side garnish moldings.

Last edited by Karl Wescott; 04-10-2024 at 10:38 AM.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote