Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Shoebox

Default Columbia for 39 Merc

I am beginning the process (and I believe it will be a process) of locating, most likely rebuilding, and installing a Columbia 2 speed in my 39 Merc. I am reading all the past posts regarding a Columbia here on the Barn, begun collecting articles and refference materials, and regularly checking numerous classifieds. My main question is must I locate specifically a '39 unit ? As I understand it the first generation axle was from about '37 - '41, would any of these be suitable? I plan on contacting Mr Connelly once I get farther into this, just want to have a clear idea of what I'm looking for, and what maybe I should be avoiding. Any recomendations or words of wisdom most welcome!!

Thanks guys,

Shoebox
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: Columbia for 39 Merc

I would start with Mr. Connelly.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Terry,OH

The late 36, 37-40 Ford and Mercury share the same housing. John is a good start so would be Dan Krehbiel in CA and Johnnie Stooksbury in Tenn.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Shoebox

Fellas,

Thank you very much for the responses! I will add these names to my future contacts. Probably give John a call this week. Any other input most welcome.

Shoebox
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Something NOT to overlook in your planning phase is the fact that '39 Mercs had that oddball one-piece driveshaft/pinion. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
jimTN

Any used Columbia will have to be built! The center sections from the later Columbias will work with the earlier side housing. Earlier Columbias use mechanical shift components where later units have a combination of vacum and electrical parts. Getting authantic shifting components is usually the hardest thing to find.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Shoebox

JimTN,

What is the dividing line between Early and Late regarding the controls?

V8Coopman,
I hadn't forgotten about the 39 Merc pinion/driveshaft. Was hoping that perhaps a Columbia side could be installed to existing ring/pinion/housing etc.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
joel

I am rebuilding a Columbia from a 46-48 Ford to fit in my 40. All the changes happen on the right (passenger) side housing (bell) . The Columbia housing needs to be shortened 3/4" and the outer end replaced with the end from a stock 40 bell. I am sorting thru 3 possible stock candidates for the best parts and gear ratio. Depending on the condition of your wheel bearing surfaces, I would have them re-sleeved also.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Cartravel

Dan Krehbiel did a series of articles for the club magazine back in the mid-1990s. You definitely need to read those. They have the best explanation of axle changes that I have seen anywhere. Do bad these are not available on the web (to my knowledge)?
- Larry Young
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Clem Clement

Comment: What a wonderful discussion you guys are having. Another example of how super fine Fordbarn and its members are!!!!!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Getting authantic shifting components is usually the hardest thing to find.
I think John Connelly is reproducing most of the controls, with the exception of the speedometer adapter, made by S-W. The original OD units are hard to find, but the same unit was also used for truck underdrives. The truck units appear more frequently on eBay, and can be converted for OD use by reversing the internal gears.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
JimTN,

What is the dividing line between Early and Late regarding the controls?

V8Coopman,
I hadn't forgotten about the 39 Merc pinion/driveshaft. Was hoping that perhaps a Columbia side could be installed to existing ring/pinion/housing etc.
I feel it is actually easier to install the Columbia related parts TO your existing ring & pinion (with your housing of course). That way, you do not need to disturb your drive shaft, torque tube, etc.

The controls on your car were authentically ALL vacuum. In '42 Columbia went to a bit more complicated system that utilized both electric and vacuum controls. They had proven to be quite troublesome and a mistake on Columbia's part.
The correct 39 - 40 controls are very simple in design and work very well. I have retrofitted these controls to later model Fords for clients that had lost patience with the troublesome "later" controls.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
blucar

My '36 had a Columbia from new.. It worked rather well, however, I did not care for the shifting controls.
After driving the car for a couple of years, ('52-54), I up-graded the rear end to a '42-48 Columbia with the '42-48 vacuum/electric controls..
The '42-48 rear ends are only 2" wider than the '36-40.. An additional inch on each side is not a problem..
I used my stock '36 3.78 center section and drive shaft, with '37 radius bars.. The '37 radius bars do not quite lineup with the front mount on the torque tube, however, the addition of a 5/8" nut on both sides between the bars and the tube, allowed the attachment bolts to slide right in.. I also used the later model rear spring and shackles which can be noted in the attached pix.
I used '42-48 brakes with '39 drums and '36-39 wheels.. I utilized the sway bar feature on the rear axle, hooking same to my frame.. I also utilized the tube shock mounts...
No machine work required, the whole affair bolted together just as if Henry Ford had intended it to...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.1.jpg (69.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.2.jpg (61.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
I am rebuilding a Columbia from a 46-48 Ford to fit in my 40. All the changes happen on the right (passenger) side housing (bell) . The Columbia housing needs to be shortened 3/4" and the outer end replaced with the end from a stock 40 bell. I am sorting thru 3 possible stock candidates for the best parts and gear ratio. Depending on the condition of your wheel bearing surfaces, I would have them re-sleeved also.
You may use your later axle housings on your 39 - 40 if you like. You'll need the longer axles of course. Add washers between the radius rods and backing plates on each side (3/8").
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

With all this said, I believe the Michel is a better option.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Cartravel

If you don't care about the controls being original, you can use a modern transfer valve for two fuel tanks. I got one from J.C.Whitless. I believe it was made by Pollak.

There is also the Laycock overdrive as nonoriginal alternative to a Columbia. Those work great and are unobtrusive.
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
blucar

Shoebox, I think the real question you should have clarified was, is it your intent to keep the '39 Merc dead stock, or is a few deviations OK?
The combination of Ford/Columbia parts that I used requires no cutting/machine work to the suspension and/or floor boards. The average person would never know the installation was not "dealer applied stock"
The later model '42-48 vacuum/electric controls are a little attrusive, due to the rather large affair being bolted on top of the left engine head.. I solved this problem by sectioning the mount into three components. I kept the lower portion with the clutch safety switch, attaching same to the lower head bolt. I then discarded the large upper portion that held the vacuum solenoids, attaching them to the inner fender panel. I put the S/W speedo switch inside of the car on the firewall. Mounted the Columbia switch on the lower edge of the dash, everything is pretty well out of sight..
The beautiful part of my installation is that everything is user friendly.. My wife use to drive my Ford all the time, she never had any problem using the OD..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Columb Cntrl.1.jpg (54.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Columb Cntrl.2.jpg (69.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
jimTN

By the way, the clutch switch for a Columbia on the later controls is the same as a brake light switch for a 47-50 Crosley.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
By the way, the clutch switch for a Columbia on the later controls is the same as a brake light switch for a 47-50 Crosley.
Very good info, I'm going to look into that..
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #20
joel

Thanks for the info from Blucar and Kube and I've been considering using later controls.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote