Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
therupperts

Default Model A's hills and valleys

On our trip to the Grand Canyon this month I noticed a total of three Model A's on a trip from Illinois to Arizona. All three of these A's were found in the mountains in Arizona. Would these have had to have juice brakes, modern transmissions and souped up engines to drive this terrain? Just wondering since I couldn't stop and check out their cars. Glad to see someone is driving them though. Good for you whoever you were.
therupperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: Model A's hills and valleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by therupperts View Post
Would these have had to have juice brakes, modern transmissions and souped up engines to drive this terrain?

Absolutely not. A stock Model A would do just fine. The problem isn't the Model A, the problem is today's drivers.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
jim galli

Of course not. I drove my bone stock late '31 coupe on a 1700 miler up over the continental divide last October and back home again. It's a Rolls Cannardly. Not. There was one 7 - 8% grade from Ennis Montana to Virginia City and Alder on the other side of the mountains that was a 2nd gear haul, never first, but I did pull over and rest one time while 4 or 5 behind went around. If you follow the railroad grades, the Model A can do fine in high gear whatever the trains could handle.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
steve s

On our backroads trip thru the mountains of WV on our way to the Williamsburg meet a few years ago, the two A's with stock heads would fall behind the two with high compression heads, but they would always catch up and it didn't seem to be a problem. Three of the cars had stock brakes--no problem. All four cars had F-150 transmissions, but since the first three gears were the same ratios as stock A, it made no difference in pulling hills--as long as you're good at double clutching for gear changes. The overdrive was, of course, superfluous in the mountains but nice on the flatlands of Ohio and Michigan. What I would have dearly loved to have was a gear in between 2nd and 3rd. There's a really awkward zone around 25-30 mph where you have to choose between roaring or lugging the motor. If I were going to be doing a lot of mountain driving, I would seriously consider the gear splitter overdrive that's available--but then you've got one more lever to deal with.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Dave in MN

Some modifications are typical but not required. We put over 9200 miles on our Phaeton during our road trip last summer. Traveled from Minnesota to the National Convention at Lexington, Kentucky...Chicago to California on Route 66...Coast Highway to Vancouver Island...through Glacier and Yellowstone on the way back. We pulled many hills during the trip. We have a Mitchell (gear splitter) overdrive but would have done fine without it. Our speed would have been slower on the hills but we would have made it.
Standard mechanical brakes with cast iron drums are what we have. We have a little extra power from modifications to the engine but again would have made it with a stock engine. What a trip! I am definitely going to make some more long drives.
Don't be afraid to drive the Model A but make sure your car is ready for the drive no matter what the distance. When on an extended trip, be prepared to make repairs or maintain the car as you go!
Good Day!

We kept a travel blog so our Model A friends could keep up with our progress. If you want to check out our trip here is the link: http://www.travelpod.com/members/29-ford-model-a

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-18-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote