Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
DirtyDan

Default ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~** UPDATED**

**UPDATES ON PAGE 2 & 3**

I have posted this to the HAMB already, but I have had a bunch of Ford Barn members ask me questions about my car and ask for some pics, so I figure I would post this on the here as well. If this is modified too much for this site, moderators feel free to delete. All mods were done increase drive-ability while trying to maintain a traditional look.

*** Warning ~ Stocker turned into a Hot Rod Below***

Since I’m wrapping up the final details on my project and I took pics the along the way I figured I would do a build thread on my 36 5 window.

A little back ground story:

I had searched for months to find a 36 coupe, and finally settled on a nice 35, 5w that I found locally stashed in a garage for the last 20 years. I bought the 35, and got it running only to find a beautiful 36 coupe in CA a week later. The car was absolutely rust free and had an older restoration. The 36 was more what I was after and quickly purchased the car from a HAMB member site un-seen. I had it shipped all the way from Sacramento CA, to St. Louis, MO. I was extremely happy with the 36, but now I had two 5w coupes.

Loading up in CA

I decided to sell the 35 and use the money to focus on the 36. I posted it it for sale and a gentleman in Finland snapped it up.

After driving the 36 for the summer in original condition, I decided I had to make it a little more of a hot rod. I planned on a simple drop axle, juice brakes, and big and little Firestones, and maybe a few flathead speed parts and call it done. It seemed like a good plan until over the winter I noticed a small oily puddle of water under the car. The car had a very good running 40 flathead motor, but apparently it did not like the cold St. Louis winter, and it developed a crack on the skirt.

So out came the ol’ 40 motor

While I was at it, I might as well pull the original front and rear suspension and prep it for a rebuild.

4" Superbell drop axle with 40 ford split wishbones and Posies spring in the foreground.

So I managed to tear the car all apart, just in time to take on another project:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=293538

So the 36 sits for a year or so while I finish up the Rivi… During this time I discover the “Ultimate T-5” article on the HAMB and decide that’s the way to go with the 36 to make it a bit more highway friendly. So I start collecting parts again.

I found a great deal on a very ugly, but freshly rebuilt 8BA to replace the cracked 40 motor, and have it shipped in from Colorado.

I also ran into a great deal on some crusty old flathead speed parts

After a round in the blast cabinet. I probably should have left it alone here, but decided to do a full polish on the intake later.

Last edited by DirtyDan; 08-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote