Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Red inner tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Natural rubber, not vulcanized, is white. When vulcanized it sort of turns gray. Adding carbon black makes them black. My thoughts would be that they were made in a time where carbon black was hard to get. Generally during war time. WWII & Korea were both such times. The rubber was cured & vulcanized with some form of red colored material added. I figure it was red lead since it was a curing agent used for some formulas of rubber.

Yep this is my understanding also. The reason tires are black is because they do add carbon so they don't look dirty. Well back in the day anyway, today well no idea if tires are rubber at all, they really are a Marvell of science, if you really think about it.

Red was probably just a marketing thing to draw people to the tubes.

google: ford model n

Rubber is white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 10.20.09 PM.jpg (13.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 07-02-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
Bulligen

I still run across red tubes in old tires and rims from the 20s 30s and 40s. Like has been said some of them still hold air.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #23
itsa52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS...YAAOSwSO5a2XO6
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #24
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa52 View Post

yikes.... I think you can get new tubes for like 16$. Cool wall hangers
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #25
RalphM

That’s cool that there’s still aNOS one around. Don’t think I trust a eighty year old tube though. But who knows, might out last the modern stuff.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #26
GB SISSON

I have been having no fun at all with modern overseas tubes. I would have gladly mounted that ebay tube in one of my tires. I finally ordered some firestone ag tubes. They came labeled 'made in china'. I'd put my money on the red tube. Not sure about 76 bucks, but it sure looks to be in sound condition. Thanks for posting it. I'm kind of a tire geek.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #27
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I have been having no fun at all with modern overseas tubes. I would have gladly mounted that ebay tube in one of my tires. I finally ordered some firestone ag tubes. They came labeled 'made in china'. I'd put my money on the red tube. Not sure about 76 bucks, but it sure looks to be in sound condition. Thanks for posting it. I'm kind of a tire geek.
OK, Tire Geek, I've got one for you. When I bought my '38 in 1990, it had an old beat up spare tire, which went away pretty quickly, but I did save the inner tube just for kicks... It is black, and was a run-flat tube. An inner-inner tube made it almost as heavy as the tire itself. It's up in my loft somewhere, and if memory serves, it has several vulcanized patches on it. Maybe I'll put it on FleaPay for say, $76 buy-it-now. Caveat emptor.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #28
richard crow

i remember years ago you would see ads in hemmings people wanting to buy them also people selling them.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #29
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
If you're like I was as a kid, I would shoot accurately at targets, and give it a little extra when shooting at a bird. Invariably, that extra hard pull would break my rubber, which of course was a genuine pain to the shooter. Years later, I made slingshots for my boys using surgical tubing. They somehow weren't interested, but pity those birds of my youth if I had had surgical tubing!
Um yeah...I see what you did there.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #30
rotorwrench

Tires and tubes need flexibility and a lot of it. Carbon black was added to synthetic rubbers to get more tensile strength and plasticizers are added for more flexibility. The ingredients just happen to make it black. Natural rubber already has an inherent tensile strength and flexibility when certain additives are added prior to vulcanization but they can't grow enough rubber trees to meet the demand.

The military did studies on the best "formula" for synthetic butyl rubber for aircraft tire tubes way back when and found that there is a bit of a trade off in the mix they chose. They wanted something that could take a lot of heat and also still perform well under very cold conditions. This wasn't an easy task to fulfill but the trade off works well enough in both situations to get by with some measure of reliability
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #31
kp

Got a red inner tube out of a tire off a 29 fire truck ,it has since been cut up and used for paddin between frame and gasoline tank still have some but it's cracked up a bit .
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #32
dads34ford

When I was a 16 yr old kid I took one out of my dad's 34 Ford spare tire aired it up took it to the local swimming hole for some reason on the way home it exploded in the back seat of my car behind my head.liked to run off the road thought I had been shot..
dads34ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #33
ford38v8

I honestly don't know what's the big deal about red inner tubes. Back in the day, they were as common as dirt.

Hmm... Maybe that's why when I flirt with the cute girlies at the grocery store that they giggle and tell me I'm old as dirt?