Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Ole Lou

Default 59AB in 32-Chatter rods

Have stock 32 front mounts on 59 AB. In using 32 v-8 chatter rods with this engine, do you tighten the nut snug or do you tighten it til there is not space between rod shoulder and block? Or, should I shim the shoulder some with washers?
I did tighten it up so shoulder of rod is touching block and that caused engine to move back enough for brake pedal arm to come in contact with block. Ground some to get clearance, but was thinking maybe it is pulling the block back too far.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Ole Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
hb32

Default Re: 59AB in 32-Chatter rods

Looking for the same answer.
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
xix32

I recently put a 59a in my `32 chassis with a `39 type trans and stock `32 rear trans mount and "K" member, and stock pedals. And without any tension on the anti-chatter rods had the same problem. My brake pedal ran into the back of the block before the pedal was half way to the floorboard. I'm thinking maybe that's why the `33-`34 pedals were a popular modification years ago, since they are about one inch shorter.
Those anti-chatter rods should fit right up to the engine without needing to draw the engine back against them with the nut. Maybe you should put a washer(s) in there to take up any space.
xix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I believe there is an adjustment procedure somewhere in the bulletins...from memory the rods should have no effect on engine position. I think the procedure involved running engine with rods loose to let position on mounts shake down, then shimming rods to neutral fit. Will try to find that write-up...
at any rate, your rods should not be fighting the mounts or the brakes!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Ole Lou

Thanks
Ole Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I recently put a 42 Merc engine in my 32, with a 39 Trans and stock engine and transmission mounts (originals). I don't recall any issues with the chatter rods - but will review my install and let you guys know. Also, will add a few pictures to boot.

D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
hb32

Looking for pics as well. I modified my banger rods for the 59a and can not figure out how they mount to the k member as the side braces are in the way to mount flat. Also, do they need to be installed before the engine is installed ?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
DavidG

Are the B rods that you modified designed to go through the center cross member or are they the supper-early that attach to the front of the center cross member?

In the photo below the bottom two rod versions pass through the center cross member (these are the common variety) and the top two are are the early versions that attach to the front of the center cross member. The second early version must be installed on the engine before the engine is installed if the engine does not have separate rod brackets that bolt to the side of the block's flywheel housing (only very early '32 V-8 blocks have separate brackets as the rod attachment points were incorporated into the block casting as an early '32 model running change). The earliest version at the top of the photo is larger in diameter than the other three and cannot be used with a block with cast-in rod holes in the black. In other words, only the bottom two rods shown could be used in the subject application (the bottom one is a B which can be shortened to the length required for a V-8)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 152.jpg (43.0 KB, 12 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
hb32

Figured it out David and they bolt from the backside. Had to tweak them slightly to sit flush and maybe the pad is slightly angled differently on the V8`s then the 4`s ?
I shortened them an inch and re drilled the cotter pin hole. They turned out very well and have them installed.