Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Chet/Ma.

Default Unusual finds inside

What unusual finds have you come across in side your Fords when you opened her up? In my 35 I found some nice unused match books from a cement company in Denver, Co. area. Also a few mouse skeletons. Chet/Ma.
Chet/Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
PeterC

Default Re: Unusual finds inside

I just posted this today - we took out the glove box on my 35 3 Window and what did we find ?? The original Vehicle registration dated April 24, 1935!! According to the S/N - this is an early April built car! Wow - I'm blown away! I thought this only happened in the movies!
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
J Franklin

I actually build packages of items of a specific year to toss in the antique car glove-box. Items such as travel brochures, stamps, letters, postcards, coin, and etc. I sell them at swap meets and to members and friends of the clubs I belong to. I call them Glove-Box Goodies. If you find too much good "old" stuff in the car I might have salted it. It's fun to have a passenger open the box to find all that old junk in there!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
37 Coupe

Found this1937 penny in glove compartment of my 37 coupe after I bought it. Has a Ford script stamping on it with an "F" and USA. Original owner had car for over 40 years so may have been in car since new or who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (23.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Steel 35

Just Green Stamps.

And a few 30-30 shells I found in another project with a torch!

Last edited by Steel 35; 10-31-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
OLD...BILL

I wish my car could talk ?? like where you been the last 60plus years ?? it was all apart when I got it, as I sanded the doors left rear, primed sanded again, now do the jams, and whats left of the upholstery off, and there is bullet hole patch, with Bondo, hanging down, small bore22 or 32. I micked the hanging Bondo at .0300 When did Bondo cime in to being ?? The car is clean and clear, and no rust ever, must have been in the super dry south west ?? ...OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Vic Piano

When I was cleaning out the interior of our '39 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Club Coupe I found a large window plaque with Civil Defense Suffolk County, NY printed on one side and instructions regarding what to do in the event of an air raid. The original owner of the car was a volunteer Air Raid Warden on Long Island during WWII.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Tinker

I found a 1931 Canadian nickel in the A.

In the 53' an envelope of paperwork for a cooks oil company. The paperwork is a bunch of employee signatures signing off for a polygraph test. About a dozen of them individually signed.

Just a lot of rat/mice crap, corncobs, soybeans in the ashtray and a cat skeleton in the 38' truck.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Jack E/NJ

In my '38. (1) A metal dogtag with the vehicle serial number affixed to a rear seat cushion spring. (2) A 1941 copy of True Romances magazine between the rear back cushion and trunk with an infamous Lysol personal hygiene ad.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
BoxCar Tom

In my 32 sedan in addition to the tools under the back seat we found a 1940 Texaco NY state road map, a loan document for $89.50 dated June 17, 1952 and a letter from a local fuel company requesting a debt reduction dated Sept 21, 1954. After 39 years in a barn it was running in less than 24 hours.
BoxCar Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
tom/illinois

I purchased a '47 sedan on epay a few years ago. I had it shipped from Pennsylvania when I went through the glove box I found several receipts for service work that had been done to the car. The receipts were dated from the late '40s to the early '50s. Many tickets were from a Mt.Vernon, New York Ford dealer. I suppose the original owner was from that area. The dollar amount for repairs was unbelievable.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

When I was restoring my Canadian built 34 Ford I found a couple of Canadian pennies under the back seat, early 30's if I remember correctly. Also, in the roof padding material when I replaced the roof, I found that the Burlap had a Canadian manufacturer's name printed on it. While I replaced it all, I did cut out the part with the manufacturer's name and put it in with the new stuff.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
oldskool

back in 1963 i bought a 1950 pontiac 4 dr straight 8,found a roll of quarters in the glove compartment,the best part was i only paid $15 bucks for the car to begin with and there was nothing wrong with the car other than it needed a good cleaning...
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD...BILL View Post
I wish my car could talk ?? like where you been the last 60plus years ?? it was all apart when I got it, as I sanded the doors left rear, primed sanded again, now do the jams, and whats left of the upholstery off, and there is bullet hole patch, with Bondo, hanging down, small bore22 or 32. I micked the hanging Bondo at .0300 When did Bondo cime in to being ?? The car is clean and clear, and no rust ever, must have been in the super dry south west ?? ...OLD...BILL
I found five marbles inside the passenger side rocker panel when restoring my 51 Victoria. as far as body filler goes, I worked at a auto parts co. and we carried a filler starting in 1962, it was called Black Magic, great stuff! never saw or heard of any before then.... JDL
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Buford

I used Bondo body filler in 1955...can't remember much use before then.
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

Found a 1919 Mercury Dime in my Model A door. Found a 1950's "Ranger K" cap gun behind the seat of a 34 truck cab. And the key to a Model T in a T door. Rod
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
trainguy

While restoring my 36 phaeton a pack of rubbers fell out from somwhere.They were in a round tin container and appeared to be of pre war vintage.After completing the restoration I replaced them in the car for the next owner to find,Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
Lawson Cox

I wouldn't try and use them. LOL
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #19
Coupe35

Was not in the car, but the 35 I purchased, the guy said if I called the man he brought the car from he had some receipts. After I brought the car, I called him and asked if he would send me everything he had pertaining to the car, which he did. To my surprized in the paper work he sent me was the original old 1935 title. Neat looking document. I thought you were required to turned in a title when you got a new title but someone before me must of somehow kept from turning it in.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
Marv

It is easy. If you would want to keep a original title you would go to the BMV and tell them you lost your title. For a small fee they will make you a duplicate. When you sell the car 50 years later, you use the duplicate title and leave the original in the glovebox, for the great find. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote